The case for Elvis Andrus @ 2nd Base

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

20 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, I was starting to think I would be ok if they somehow brought him back cheaper but then remembered he really couldn't play RF. They need a 4th of who can play all 3 spots.

I don’t care that much if a guy can’t play RF, you can always move Benintendi over to RF and play your backup guy in LF if that’s the position you need to fill.

I care more about CF as I can’t move Benintendi there for more than a couple days without it being a game costing disaster.

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Most of us are willing to give Duvall 8 million to come be a backup.  Someone will feel the same about Pollack.  I'd predict we'd also want Pollack for 8 million had he not been with us this year and had the same year.

If some big league team was willing to give Duvall $8 million, wouldn’t he be signed by now?

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I don’t care that much if a guy can’t play RF, you can always move Benintendi over to RF and play your backup guy in LF if that’s the position you need to fill.

I care more about CF as I can’t move Benintendi there for more than a couple days without it being a game costing disaster.

Benintendi has never played RF.  I don't think he is going to start with the Sox.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Most of us are willing to give Duvall 8 million to come be a backup.  Someone will feel the same about Pollack.  I'd predict we'd also want Pollack for 8 million had he not been with us this year and had the same year.

If we hadn't signed Benintendi, perhaps, but I don't think anyone would be clamoring for AJ to be our 4th OF.  He is basically LF only these days, and the Sox need more versatility.

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If we hadn't signed Benintendi, perhaps, but I don't think anyone would be clamoring for AJ to be our 4th OF.  He is basically LF only these days, and the Sox need more versatility.

If he didn't already want to not be here, the fact that he can play a competent CF would have made him a good fit as a backup OF. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Well yeah, someone who can play CF is a necessity. I just don't think anyone wants to see Benintendi in RF with that arm.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

If he didn't already want to not be here, the fact that he can play a competent CF would have made him a good fit as a backup OF. 

Of everyone out there - he would be my preferred signing. But as you mentioned - he isn’t coming back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Pollock?  I'd take Duvall over Pollock purely due to the defense ability and flexibility. 

They have all of what, one guy that can adequately cover RF on the 40 man in Colas?  Yet posters think AJ would be an adequate 4th OF?  Yikes.  

19 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Engel was our 4th outfield for 5 years... I'd say Pollack would do lol

Engel was actually good defensively for most of those years and could cover all 3 OF spots, injury history aside.  We really can’t say that about AJ.  

On 1/1/2023 at 9:26 PM, Balta1701 said:

If someone wants to offer him more than $1 million and a chance to play meaningful games in September, with what he has done the last few years, my reply to him is good luck. If the Diamondbacks want to offer him $2 million and a guaranteed big league slot and he wants to take it, then best wishes. He isn’t worth a guaranteed big league contract to these White Sox. The option to send him to the minors to start the year is quite important to this roster the way it’s set up.

And comparing him to Rodon makes me physically recoil. Rodon was a young player who finally broke out after a series of injuries, with every stat saying he was excellent but wore out after 120 innings. If he could stay healthy he looked like an ace, performance wasn’t the question. Andrus is a veteran who had a 2 month stretch of extra home runs, without any support from higher exit velocities or anything else measureable, in fact many of his stats trended the wrong way when he got to Chicago, he hit a couple extra homers, with HR rates that rivaled the best HR hitters in the league for two months and way above his career numbers. Hugely important, was the difference between the White Sox winning 70 some games and being .500, but I will bet a lot he can’t keep up that Hr pace next year.

He was comparable to Rodon in that the fanbase said, "We got lucky for a year but paying up for him based on one year ? No Way !!  Look at how he did before that. Too big of an injury risk".

You are saying the same thing about ANdrus, that his previous years outweigh his time with the Sox. You can make it age related if you want to but many of our fans were saying Bon Voyage to Rodon and telling us Sox management knew his medicals better than anyone.

As far as the Andrus hot stretch went, I've never seen Leury do that . You at least have to be capable of producing at a high level . Leury's never had a 2 War year let alone 3.5. Say whatever you want about luck or his "measureables" .

Without trying to get too weird about it, hitting a baseball is an often mystifying thing. I'd be a lot happier with Andrus than Leury because he is capable of doing things Leury can't. That was proven last year. The likelihood of them being similar is greater than the chance of him being miles better also. But the key is there's also a greater chance of Andrus being better just because he is more talented. All it takes is a look at their careers to know this.

Would you argue for Leury over Kemp, Biggio, Escobar ? They will cost money and players.

You're always going on about Steamer right? They have Leury at .2 War for 2023 and Andrus for 1.8.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside