Ron Karkovice- Random Stat

jasonxctf

2 hours ago, wegner said:

Officer Karkovice breaking the laws of physics with that stat and his speed.  Can you imagine how many stolen bags he would have had with the larger bases??  Maybe 11.

I'll go with 12.

Officer Karkovice hit one of the longest and hardest hit homers I saw in person at old Comiskey, IIRC it was in 1989 and we were sitting way out in left centerfield in the upper deck about 5 rows up and Karko hit a laser that went over our heads by about 4 or 5 rows. When you think about it, it should have been a roof shot but as I said it was a laser shot, more of a line drive than a moon shot.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

Karkovice waited a long time to get the starter's job at catcher. Not a bad player. No Bill Nahorodny but not half bad. ... As far as catchers go, how can a Sox fan not just love Fisk? My gosh he was a ballplayer. He wouldn't quit til he couldn't see/catch the ball anymore. What a stud. 

Where does Karko live now? Where does Fisk live now?

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

Karkovice waited a long time to get the starter's job at catcher. Not a bad player. No Bill Nahorodny but not half bad. ... As far as catchers go, how can a Sox fan not just love Fisk? My gosh he was a ballplayer. He wouldn't quit til he couldn't see/catch the ball anymore. What a stud. 

I think Fisk and his wife still live in suburban Chicago.

14 hours ago, greg775 said:

Last I saw he owned a deli in Orlando

22 hours ago, kleedawg said:

I remember officer Karkovice stealing 3 bases in a game at Yankee stadium.

I am almost certain it was 3 stolen bases, and I'm not sure this is the game to which I'm referring. if it is, I suspect the discrepancy might be be due to an official score erroneously ruling a passed ball/wild pitch when not noticing Karko was running on the play or maybe a defensive indifference that was inappropriate.

Besides, it takes a big man to admit when he is wrong and I am not a big man - Erwin Flecther "Fletch"

On 1/5/2023 at 11:50 PM, greg775 said:

Nahorodny better than Karkovice, no way. I’d take Karko 7 days a week with twice on Sunday.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hawk 1

11 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Nahorodny better than Karkovice, no way. I’d take Karko 7 days a week with twice on Sunday.

Yes.

Not to disparage Bill, but he was a starter for one season (308 MLB games over 9 seasons) whereas Karkovice was a solid defensive catcher, and a full time starter for 5 straight seasons (1992-1996), after splitting the job for three years once he turned 25 (1989-1991).

Karkovice: 939 G, 13.7 fWAR

Nahorodny: 308 G, 1.0 fWAR

• Like 2