All AAA parks to have robotic umpires in 2023

ron883

As a UK Sox fan and a keen cricket fan, the ball tracking technology in cricket has only improved the game and helps the on field umpires. It has actually helped change the game for some bowlers who weren't getting marginal lbw decisions given before that are now being given using the video technology. In the same way in baseball it will help those pitchers who can hit the corners of the zone but with human umpires would not always get the call. It may lead to an increase increase strike outs until hitters adjust but that is up to them to do and those who can't will suffer. So overall, as long as the technology works consistently it will only improve the game. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Texsox said:

BTW if you like this you are taking the owner's side. Players rejected it during the CBA negotiations. 

Then I guess I'm on the owners side on this one. I truly wonder how representative of the whole that vote of the players was in the CBA regarding this specific topic.

Integrating technology will only improve the game after the kinks are worked out. You can still have umps behind the plate to maintain the human component. Just give them an earpiece that relays the robot call and tell them to continue to be animated when calling strikes. And when there is an inevitable hiccup where a strike was obviously a ball or vice versa, they can do crew reviews or managers can challenge. 

Edited by ScooterMcGuire

The way MLB can screw anything up, we'll end up with a Robot Joe West and a Robot Angel Hernandez.
I'm all for whatever it takes to get the calls right. There should be no "pitchers' umpires" or "hitter's umpires" or fluctuating zones. A strike is a strike and good on whatever gets us there.

1 hour ago, The Critic said:

The way MLB can screw anything up, we'll end up with a Robot Joe West and a Robot Angel Hernandez.
I'm all for whatever it takes to get the calls right. There should be no "pitchers' umpires" or "hitter's umpires" or fluctuating zones. A strike is a strike and good on whatever gets us there.

That brings up an interesting possibility. The umpire union may be more likely to accept making it easier to remove the Joe Wests of the umpiring union with automation looming on the horizon. 

It also highlights how union guys in the same industry stick together. 

17 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Lol’ing at the idea of kids approaching robots for autographs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2719971-dak-prescott-accused-of-using-machine-to-sign-memorabilia.amp.html

Already happening. Bob Dylan also got busted for using an autopen. 

6 hours ago, Texsox said:

BTW if you like this you are taking the owner's side. Players rejected it during the CBA negotiations. 

And your point is?  The owners putting forth one proposal that actually benefits the game, whatever their motivations or negotiating tactics, doesn’t negate all of their shitty selfish behavior.  This isn’t some big gotcha.  I’m as anti-owner as anyone, but this schtick is tired.  

18 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

And your point is?  The owners putting forth one proposal that actually benefits the game, whatever their motivations or negotiating tactics, doesn’t negate all of their shitty selfish behavior.  This isn’t some big gotcha.  I’m as anti-owner as anyone, but this schtick is tired.  

My point is the players were against it. Seemed interesting to me. I would have thought the players would be for it. 

I think everyone sides with the owners from time to time. That doesn't make them pro owner. I didn't realize that's a schtick. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

My point is the players were against it. Seemed interesting to me. I would have thought the players would be for it. 

I think everyone sides with the owners from time to time. That doesn't make them pro owner. I didn't realize that's a schtick. 

Astros looking at ways to hack in?

• Haha 1