Least likeable team since 2000

joejoesox

12 hours ago, The Beast said:

David Wells and his bad back say hello.

Look at those stats. How can you not like ball players who play most of the season and actually hit for power?

The good old days where major league ballplayers played most games and somehow were able to avoid injuries or be able to play through them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

The good old days where major league ballplayers played most games and somehow were able to avoid injuries or be able to play through them.

Yes, that was the point of steroids.

Edit before anyone gets in a tizzy: Obviously not everyone was on them.

3 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

We are essentially in the same position as we were in 2016. A bunch of guys with loads of talent (or so they tell us), but can't win ballgames. Same exact position, plus the injuries. And it's the same guys steering the ship. The main issues--they don't know how to develop talent, they don't know how to construct a well-balanced team, they don't know how to properly utilize players' strengths and weaknesses, and they don't know how to build a winning culture.

There were individuals on this message board that were adamant this rebuild would fail because of the front office. I was vehemently against those people. I would like to apologize, and they can say I told you so.

No need to apologize. Not even the most die hard front office skeptics seriously thought the team would be a top 3 worst team in baseball come 2023. 

The level of incompentence and total disfunction of this organization is almost beyond belief at this point. They are so far beyond almost every other organization in baseball in every important metric. There is no way to dig themselves out of this without at least 50 to 75 people getting fired and an ownership change. They are Blockbuster video executives circa the early 2000s hand waving away the internet as no big deal. We are screwed as Sox fans.   

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

26 minutes ago, Quin said:

I won't get into a tizzy over it, but we will never know the amount of users...and as you said, not everyone was on them. I truly believe in fact, more off them were not on steroids than were on them. Again my opinion and no way to prove either way.

I never have and never will for one second think Frank Thomas was one of them. He was a big man playing baseball long before the White Sox, when he played both baseball and football as a tight end at Auburn. In fact, he was a big dude in high school earning all-state in both baseball and football and helping his baseball team when a state title. 

One more thing about the good old days when players played a full season. Forget the 90's or 00's with steroids. What about the 50's, 60's and 70's where there weren't steroids. You can go look up tons of players playing full seasons and pitchers going 9 innings routinely and getting complete games often. Oh yeah and not only did some pitchers get 20 plus complete games back in the 50's and 60's, but they also pitched on a four-man rotation and not five-man rotation like today. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I won't get into a tizzy over it, but we will never know the amount of users...and as you said, not everyone was on them. I truly believe in fact, more off them were not on steroids than were on them. Again my opinion and no way to prove either way.

I never have and never will for one second think Frank Thomas was one of them. He was a big man playing baseball long before the White Sox, when he played both baseball and football as a tight end at Auburn. In fact, he was a big dude in high school earning all-state in both baseball and football and helping his baseball team when a state title. 

One more thing about the good old days when players played a full season. Forget the 90's or 00's with steroids. What about the 50's, 60's and 70's where there weren't steroids. You can go look up tons of players playing full seasons and pitchers going 9 innings routinely and getting complete games often. Oh yeah and not only did some pitchers get 20 plus complete games back in the 50's and 60's, but they also pitched on a four-man rotation and not five-man rotation like today. 

Frank wasn't on steroids, but...

1) Frank was a freak of nature and the franchise GOAT.

2) The back half of his career he averaged 99 games, which is when his body caught up with him. Imagine what he and Griffey could have done compared to known roiders, who were able to soldier on.

Re: 50s, 60s, 70s...

Guys throw harder, run faster, jump higher, etc., there's just more strain on the human body. Adam Engel would have been a fucking god and led the Go-Go Sox to a World Series. Giolito would destroy that era. Lopez pumping 100 mph fastballs? Forget about it. 

*This is assuming you can just teleport them directly into the past.

Remember how rare it was to see a 100 MPH pitch? Now every team has several guys.

4 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

We are essentially in the same position as we were in 2016. A bunch of guys with loads of talent (or so they tell us), but can't win ballgames. Same exact position, plus the injuries. And it's the same guys steering the ship. The main issues--they don't know how to develop talent, they don't know how to construct a well-balanced team, they don't know how to properly utilize players' strengths and weaknesses, and they don't know how to build a winning culture.

There were individuals on this message board that were adamant this rebuild would fail because of the front office. I was vehemently against those people. I would like to apologize, and they can say I told you so.

I was right there with you and felt this rebuild would work. I bought into the multiple championships and parades from Rick Hahn. But that was 2016 and now it's 2023. I feel horrible I was duped by this POS Hahn. This rebuild has been an utter trainwreck and embarrassment. Not only did he fail on developing a winning roster that was deep in quality hitting and pitching, he failed even worse in developing a strong farm system. 

The worst crime is everyone but Reinsdorf knows it's been a massive failure...but nothing is changing because of the demented inept and uncaring owner.

Sadly we as life life-long loyal Sox fans are once again screwed and deprived of having a fun summer of baseball to follow our favorite team.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 1
  • Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

Frank wasn't on steroids, but...

1) Frank was a freak of nature and the franchise GOAT.

2) The back half of his career he averaged 99 games, which is when his body caught up with him. Imagine what he and Griffey could have done compared to known roiders, who were able to soldier on.

Re: 50s, 60s, 70s...

Guys throw harder, run faster, jump higher, etc., there's just more strain on the human body. Adam Engel would have been a fucking god and led the Go-Go Sox to a World Series. Giolito would destroy that era. Lopez pumping 100 mph fastballs? Forget about it. 

*This is assuming you can just teleport them directly into the past.

Remember how rare it was to see a 100 MPH pitch? Now every team has several guys.

1. Frank Thomas hit 39 home runs and 114 RBI's in 2006 and in 2006 for Oakland had 26 HR's and 95 RBI's in 2006 for Toronto, which was his 17th and 18th season. He retired playing 19 seasons. Are you kidding me, most players don't ever see an 18 year career before falling off, let alone a 19 year career. 

2. Frank Thomas was not a freak of nature. He was seriously into weight and strength training back in high school and college. During his long career as a White Sox, he was notoriously known as a player who worked out extensively hard in the off season as a pro on his strength and conditioning, as well as during the season.

3. They never had radar guns in the 50's and 60's. When they did finally have radar guns, they were not accurate like today. From most experts, players and historians, it was detailed how many pitchers like Bob Feller, Sandy Koufax and Sam McDowell and many others all three upper 90's.

4. Giolito and Lopez would not destroy that era. Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Willie Mays and Hank Aaron and many many others would have crushed their pitches today. 

5. Yes players are built up more today and maybe as we are seeing, all the bulk and strength training doesn't amount to anything positive, if they don't do the other parts of training like flexibility and core strength, which many of players lack today. Hence, go see several constant injured Sox players today.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I always believed that the majority were playing under steroids.  Just like I believe that the majority of teams were cheating during like the Astros were.

• Like 1