Sox Quote of the Day...

Lip Man 1

“We haven’t clicked yet as a team and why that is, I’m not sure. But we’re working every single day to figure it out and when we do, hopefully we’ll go on a nice little stretch.” ---Pedro Grifol to DVS of the Sun-Times. 😆

That my friends is called whistling past the graveyard. And he's the manager, I'm assuming well paid, but he doesn't know why the team hasn't put anything together this season (longest win streak is three game...) He fits right in with this incompetent, dysfunctional and inept organization. That's what the rebuild has come down to, "Hoping."   🤡

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Fire 1

34 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

“We haven’t clicked yet as a team and why that is, I’m not sure. But we’re working every single day to figure it out and when we do, hopefully we’ll go on a nice little stretch.” ---Pedro Grifol to DVS of the Sun-Times. 😆

That my friends is called whistling past the graveyard. And he's the manager, I'm assuming well paid, but he doesn't know why the team hasn't put anything together this season (longest win streak is three game...) He fits right in with this incompetent, dysfunctional and inept organization. That's what the rebuild has come down to, "Hoping."   🤡

After a stupid comment like that making yourself look clueless, that is just the type of positive leadership message the struggling players are looking to hear. 

Just another brilliant decision from the genius of GM Rick Hahn.

41 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

"A nice little stretch." They will need more than a nice little stretch to turn this season around. Trouble is, they are not even capable of a nice little stretch. 12 runs to the Angels. That is not the first time they have given up runs in double figures. That is one reason they are not "clicking."

What is he supposed to say?

"Every coach takes the first opportunity they can to manage in the major leagues. I knew I would be facing challenges  while watching this organization flounder over the years, but the rot and drastic changes required are beyond what a manager working with 26 players can accomplish. I am willing and eager to work with ownership and senior management to develop the first long term planning since Charles Comiskey owned the team, to create an organization that over time can compete with other teams in our sport for championships on a consistent basis.

In the meantime, I will continue to work with the players on our club to make sure they are prepared to play before each ballgame, develop to their full potential, and make recommendations to senior management when roster changes are required for us to reach where we want to be as an organization."

He can tell players changes need to be made or wholesale changes will be made, but he doesn't have much of a say in these matters, and for many players they are likely seeking to leave after sticking here for up to seven years with the teammates, managers and coaches they have been saddled over their careers. Several are likely on their last MLB deals after fleecing Hahn for max contract value. The others looked at the s%*# show during Tony's entire tenure and now this guy who may be over his head and say what the f***, just build my stats for max contracts or FA, stay healthy, and get the f*** out of here.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

What is he supposed to say?

"Every coach takes the first opportunity they can to manage in the major leagues. I knew I would be facing challenges  while watching this organization flounder over the years, but the rot and drastic changes required are beyond what a manager working with 26 players can accomplish. I am willing and eager to work with ownership and senior management to develop the first long term planning since Charles Comiskey owned the team, to create an organization that over time can compete with other teams in our sport for championships on a consistent basis.

In the meantime, I will continue to work with the players on our club to make sure they are prepared to play before each ballgame, develop to their full potential, and make recommendations to senior management when roster changes are required for us to reach where we want to be as an organization."

He can tell players changes need to be made or wholesale changes will be made, but he doesn't have much of a say in these matters, and for many players they are likely seeking to leave after sticking here for up to seven years with the teammates, managers and coaches they have been saddled over their careers. Several are likely on their last MLB deals after fleecing Hahn for max contract value. The others looked at the s%*# show during Tony's entire tenure and now this guy who may be over his head and say what the f***, just build my stats for max contracts or FA, stay healthy, and get the f*** out of here.

He can say directly and honestly to the media what everyone has seen. Terrible fundamentals, awful situational hitting, poor defense, pitching afraid to attack the strike zone, little depth et al. THAT's why they "haven't clicked as a team yet..." He comes across as clueless by saying what he did, he's not stupid he's been in the game for over a decade. And putting it the way he did insults the fan base. If WE can see what the hell is wrong and he honestly can't what does that say about him? 

That's not throwing people under a bus, that's being forthright and honest with everyone...players, front office, media, fan base.

If someone doesn't like it, then do something about it. 

He doesn't even have to say it mockingly or angrily, just stating facts in a respectful tone of voice.

It would be a refreshing change of pace from the BS that Hahn says in an arrogant disdainful manner. 

Edited by Lip Man 1

19 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

He can say directly and honestly to the media what everyone has seen. Terrible fundamentals, awful situational hitting, poor defense, pitching afraid to attack the strike zone, little depth et al. THAT's why they "haven't clicked as a team yet..." He comes across as clueless by saying what he did, he's not stupid he's been in the game for over a decade. And putting it the way he did insults the fan base. If WE can see what the hell is wrong and he honestly can't what does that say about him? 

That's not throwing people under a bus, that's being forthright and honest with everyone...players, front office, media, fan base.

If someone doesn't like it, then do something about it. 

He doesn't even have to say it mockingly or angrily, just stating facts in a respectful tone of voice.

It would be a refreshing change of pace from the BS that Hahn says in an arrogant disdainful manner. 

He’s two months in on his first job. Doesn’t have room to say much publicly.

His boss just told the media 48 hours ago it’s too early to assess whether the Sox will be buyers or sellers this season, whether they have a shot or don’t. 

The entire public facing organization (Merkin, Broadcasters, Manager, Hahn) are spinning to try and salvage 100-200 thousand in possible ticket sales above what has been sold.

This Reinsdorf organization has never been open and honest with fans for 43 years. How can someone three levels down in the organization chart be expected to speak candidly?

The last people who did so were the first out the door when Jerry bought the team 40 years ago. The Cubs Executives are the only team in Chicago who are not afraid to speak candidly to the public, win or lose, consistently since the Bill Veeck era.

The Sox brass couldn’t even handle a couple hundred fans at a Soxfest town hall this Winter.

• Like 1

That was probably the one good thing about Ozzie. When the team sucked, he would be the first to tell you they sucked. No mincing words and no trying to say what he thought people wanted to hear.

And no, this is absolutely *not* a plea for him to return as manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iwritecode said:

That was probably the one good thing about Ozzie. When the team sucked, he would be the first to tell you they sucked. No mincing words and no trying to say what he thought people wanted to hear.

And no, this is absolutely *not* a plea for him to return as manager.

This is the type of team that you DO hire Ozzie for.

I would basically only hire Ozzie in a "break glass in case of emergency" situation.

If anyone can do something to turn a ship like this around, it's Ozzie.

If he fails, it'll be entertaining as hell.

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

This is the type of team that you DO hire Ozzie for.

I would basically only hire Ozzie in a "break glass in case of emergency" situation.

If anyone can do something to turn a ship like this around, it's Ozzie.

If he fails, it'll be entertaining as hell.

People probably remember my stance on Ozzie back in the day. Even I agree with this statement.