Frank Thomas is Staying With Sox

elrockinMT

i'm not really sure if i like Frank comming back. As a kid growing up Frank Thomas was my favorite player and a big reason why i'm a Sox fan in the first place, but as i've grown older his attitude and selfishness has kinda worn thin with me. Who are some other 6 million dollar guys? i guess if 6 mil is a bargan than i like the move, but i'd rather have more speed in the line up.

didn't Tommy Herr bat #3 behind Coleman and Ozzie Smith with Willie McGee in the 5 hole? at least that was the order in RBI Baseball (best baseball game ever) :D

i miss a lot of news being here in Colorado but what's the deal with Robbie and Jose? I wish i could listen to more Chicago news, i've really missed the Score since i moved away.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not really excited about Big Hurt coming back. I dont hate him I just want the sox go the other way. Yeah he is still a great hitter but he doesnt produce when it counts. I enjoyed the thought of getting Nick Johnson from the Yanks but I guess that is out of the way now.

The team that won our division would fall under this category.

The player? Doug Mienkiewicz.

I can't stand Doug Mientkiewicz...

But I am Happy Frank is coming back.

I have seen too many of my favorite Sox players go out with a different team or get pushed out at the end on bad terms.

If it makes you feel any better, consider these two players:

Player A - .267 avg, 42 HR, 105 RBI, .562 SLG, 35 doubles

Player B - .325 avg, 37 HR, 104 RBI, .587 SLG, 35 doubles

Player A makes 6 million a year, and Player B makes 20 million a year. Is Player B's extra 58 points on the batting average worth an extra 14 million a year? NO WAY.

Player A is Frank Thomas, Player B is Manny Ramirez.

I know Manny is a GREAT hitter - one of the best, but statistically, he's not 14 million dollars better than Frank.

If it makes you feel any better, consider these two players:

Player A - .267 avg, 42 HR, 105 RBI, .562 SLG, 35 doubles

Player B - .325 avg, 37 HR, 104 RBI, .587 SLG, 35 doubles

Player A makes 6 million a year, and Player B makes 20 million a year.  Is Player B's extra 58 points on the batting average worth an extra 14 million a year?  NO WAY.

Player A is Frank Thomas, Player B is Manny Ramirez.

I know Manny is a GREAT hitter - one of the best, but statistically, he's not 14 million dollars better than Frank.

Well said. The battle for supremacy in MLB will have to be done with fiscal responsibility, at least if you're not the Yanks, Red Sox, Mets, or the revolving door of the last 10 years (Orioles, Dodgers, Seattle).

Their numbers are somewhat similar, and Manny is a much better hitter at this point, but there's a underlying characteristic to remember (especially in the clubhouse) :

Frank Thomas may be a grumpy crabass, but Manny Ramirez is a selfish dickhead.

We at least have the worst of two evils.

now let's get on with the task of putting the rest of the lineup and the pitching staff together

Would have been somewhat easier without the 6 million we're going to owe a "Twilight" Frank Thomas.

With this news, if the Sox are going to make any significant moves this offseason, they will have to shop around PK.

Or Magglio, right? Wouldn't that seem more likely, given his salary, production, and the fact that it's his walkaway year?

now let's get on with the task of putting the rest of the lineup and the pitching staff together

Would have been somewhat easier without the 6 million we're going to owe a "Twilight" Frank Thomas.

With this news, if the Sox are going to make any significant moves this offseason, they will have to shop around PK.

Or Magglio, right? Wouldn't that seem more likely, given his salary, production, and the fact that it's his walkaway year?

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I don't see any other way for the Sox to compete without increasing payroll drastically.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I don't see any other way for the Sox to compete without increasing payroll drastically.

The story from the MLB site on Frank's return doesn't sound good as far as the 2004 payroll.

Williams flatly states that the $51 million level from 2003 is not expected to increase significantly for this year. Apparently the $12 million or so we offered Colon is going back into Reinsdorf's pockets and not being used to bring in some more talent. I assume the hopeful projection of $60-65 million by many of us was based on our collective assumption that money not spent on Colon would still be spent on improving the team.

PK or Magglio will have to go obviously. Those two, Frank, Carlos, Loaiza, Buehrle, and Koch alread account for like $45 million. That's before resigning Sandy or Robbie, or Jose or whever we hope might replace him, or any new pitching.

I'm really depressed now

:angry: :angry:

The thought has crossed my mind Ghost. I'd rather them find a way to unload PK at this point. If we deal Maggs simply because Frank Thomas is JR's boy and money restraints self-imposed by JR himself, then that is a f***ing shame. Maggs is 10 times more the "franchise" player right now than Frank Thomas is. But Maggs is due to make more than Thomas so it make sense for JR I guess.

• 7 months later...

And the hits just keep on coming!!!!!

Go and hide your head in shame, buddy.

The story from the MLB site on Frank's return doesn't sound good as far as the 2004 payroll.

Williams flatly states that the $51 million level from 2003 is not expected to increase significantly for this year. Apparently the $12 million or so we offered Colon is going back into Reinsdorf's pockets and not being used to bring in some more talent. I assume the hopeful projection of $60-65 million by many of us was based on our collective assumption that money not spent on Colon would still be spent on improving the team.

PK or Magglio will have to go obviously. Those two, Frank, Carlos, Loaiza, Buehrle, and Koch alread account for like $45 million. That's before resigning Sandy or Robbie, or Jose or whever we hope might replace him, or any new pitching.

I'm really depressed now

:angry: :angry:

What did the payroll settle at?

Whoop-dee-motherf***ing-doo!

At least we'll have one player swinging for the fence every AB next season.

:puke

What the hell is your problem? Not only is he one of the greatest hitters in White Sox history, he's having an MVP type season.

What do you want? 9 Joe DiMaggio's?