Notice how Merkin and Hahn are trying to make trade deadline just as much about Grifol job security

caulfield12

5 minutes ago, Tomtom said:

I never understood why an organization, who believes it is a World Series contender, would hire a rookie manager with no managerial experience other than being a coach.

They may have believed in 2021 or 2022, but their offseason proved they were transitioning to sell mode for 2023. They flipped Abreu’s money for Clevinger and Benintendi, and backloaded both deals knowing they were shedding money in the future.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They may have believed in 2021 or 2022, but their offseason proved they were transitioning to sell mode for 2023. They flipped Abreu’s money for Clevinger and Benintendi, and backloaded both deals knowing they were shedding money in the future.

Gotta disagree here.  Contracts were backloaded because otherwise they couldn’t fit those pieces in the 2023 payroll structure.  Hahn fully expected to win this year.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Gotta disagree here.  Contracts were backloaded because otherwise they couldn’t fit those pieces in the 2023 payroll structure.  Hahn fully expected to win this year.

Not sure of Hahn's thoughts, but with Tony gone, Jerry didn't have the incentive to invest further. These two signings didn't move the needle in terms of win expectations or season ticket sales.

They also cancelled SoxFest before November, knowing they weren't adding payroll or significant players. Even Hawk was not optimistic looking at this roster, saying they weren't going to win the Division, would be lucky to be a wild card in AJ's preseason podcast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomtom said:

I never understood why an organization, who believes it is a World Series contender, would hire a rookie manager with no managerial experience other than being a coach.

Right off the bat, Alex Cora and Aaron Boone. They both were WS contenders who had never managed in minor league or majors. Both were 12 year as active players though and  Boone went from player, broadcast booth to manager.  

• Like 1

Steve Cohen, Mets' owner

Similar philosophy to JR... but completely different mindsets in terms of arriving at those conclusions. 

"I’m a patient guy, OK?" the 67-year-old hedge fund billionaire said. “Now, everybody wants a headline. Everybody says: Fire this person, fire that person. But I don't see that as a way to operate.

"If you want to attract good people to this organization, the worst thing you can do is be impulsive, OK, and win the headline for the day. ... You're not attracting the best talent. You're not going to want to work for somebody who has a short fuse. Listen, I know fans, they want something to happen. I get it. But sometimes, you can’t do it because you have long-term objectives."

Cohen said the team is still pursuing a team president and a president of baseball operations.

This year's trade deadline is Aug. 1 and an unsuccessful season could increase interest in a youth movement for a team that had the oldest average age on opening day. Cohen said he'd be willing to cover salaries in trades if it improved the prospect haul coming back.

“If it turns out we don't improve and I'm looking at '24 with a similar team, one year older, for a veteran team, probably not a great place to be,” Cohen said. “We have to make honest, truthful judgments.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mets-owner-steve-cohen-threatens-203431683.html

53 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jerry clutches his pearls.

Imagine trading Verlander Scherzer and Alonso. 

Gotta get the best possible deal for Giolito... should be working on that right now. 

Announcers picking on Beckham for not making play in the booth lol. 

Edited by caulfield12