7/30 Games

BamaDoc

W-S stormed back with a 6 run 9th to win 7-2. Kanny held on 2-1. Winner for the Ballers was Ben Beutel a soft-tossing lefty sidearmer. I want to live in a world where pitchers with non-96 mph fastballs with perfect spin rates can also succeed because I like weird, but I fear that world is not this world.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

W-S stormed back with a 6 run 9th to win 7-2. Kanny held on 2-1. Winner for the Ballers was Ben Beutel a soft-tossing lefty sidearmer. I want to live in a world where pitchers with non-96 mph fastballs with perfect spin rates can also succeed because I like weird, but I fear that world is not this world.

I'm personally quite enamored with Beutel. The stuff doesn't jump off the page, but the results do. Rooting for him.

Also want to shout out Mason Adams, who has quietly been the best(?) pitcher in Kanny for most of the year. 3.5 ERA and 12 K/9 through 71.2IP in 16 appearances.

• Like 1

Birmingham currently getting smoked 14-1. Jackson Chourio bomb.  It scares me that we're sending the best arms in the system -- Mena, Thompson, Kelley, and now Bush and Nastrini into a situation where no one seems to be able to throw strikes and no one is getting any better.

Ha ha, there's a rain delay in Biloxi with 2 outs in the 9th of a 14-1 game. Birmingham has to drive home after the game. Forfeit!  Btw, they got swept in the 6 game series and their pitching was crushed every night.  Sox farm does not have a lot of impact even after the trades. 

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

Birmingham currently getting smoked 14-1. Jackson Chourio bomb.  It scares me that we're sending the best arms in the system -- Mena, Thompson, Kelley, and now Bush and Nastrini into a situation where no one seems to be able to throw strikes and no one is getting any better.

I thought Zaleski had a good record as a pitching coach before he got to Charlotte, which is understandable since it's a bandbox where Rick Hahn dumps AAAA arms.

But he just skipped AA as a pitching coach.

After retiring as a player, Zaleski started coaching in 2016 as the pitching coach for Great Falls. Last season he was the pitching coach for Winston-Salem. With Zaleski in charge of the pitching staff, Winston-Salem went 72-61 with a 3.51 ERA. The pitchers struck out 1,038 and walked 389 while giving up only 87 homers in 1,160.1 innings.

I remember him briefly helping Hansen fix himself before he imploded again. I wonder if he should be in Bham with actual prospects and not fodder?