Kiley McDaniel's 2023 midseason top 50 MLB prospects (Colson #2)

NCsoxfan

Colson at 2!!!

This is an aggressive ranking, but nobody I spoke with has Montgomery outside of their top 10; most have him in their top five. Montgomery has a shot to be a plus hitter with plus power and play shortstop in the big leagues, so the idea is similar to Holliday, but you'd see differences if you watched them. Montgomery is bigger and stronger at 6-foot-3, is one notch slower on the bases and will probably settle at third base eventually, but he's in the Corey Seager range of size/speed/strength/feel: He could thread the needle and be the best of both worlds.

• Fire 1

33 minutes ago, bmags said:

This makes me nervous, as Kiley has been on the high side of all the most devastating sox picks.

Don't worry, be happy!! Ramos and Quero both killing it at AA as well. I hope all three are in Chicago next June. They all

have a patient approach that could really turn this crappy team around. 

• Like 3

He also had Schultz in his next 30 list, so basically we have 4 guys in the top 80. It’s been a while since we’ve had that many, good to see. 

As far as Montgomery at #2 I’m shocked but at the same time very excited to see the analytics community with such a high opinion. We can all look at the basic numbers he puts up and see him doing very well at a young age but it’s great to know that the analytic numbers back up what we’re seeing as well. 

The way other teams approach Birmingham tells you that they think highly of Montgomery as well.  When he's in the line up, you see a lot of lefty relievers and they rarely give him anything to hit.  They come right after everyone else, except Popeye because he expands the zone.

• Thanks 1