FutureSox: International Signing Preview

Y2Jimmy0

3 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Maybe they just stage the big prospects, and don't bother buying a cap and jersey for the kid who signs for $600. 

The Sox hadn't signed a non Cuban to a contract as big as the 1.8M they signed Herrera for some the $1.6 they offered DR to Micker Adolpho in 2013

On 2/12/2024 at 7:01 AM, southsider2k5 said:

There is that name calling. 

Look, you want in, let's go ban bet.  If the Sox only sign these four players, I am banned.  When the Sox sign more, you are banned.

I didn't dignify that stupid bet at the time because it's like asking me to bet that the sky wouldn't be blue tomorrow. Brave guy you are.

At the time the Sox still had near $3M left.  So I'm supposed to wait 10-11 months until the next January signing period to hear if the Sox signed any player from anywhere despite my beef being with our continued lack of DR signings . So ridiculous. Really went out on a limb with that ban bet 🤣Sure let's bet the Sox use their $6M and they won't sign more than 4 players ! Works for me 🤣

But so far despite all the insider talk about 5 or 6 DR signing we got 1 that someone found just reccently SS Mendez for $280K ! Hey SS let make a ban bet that the Pope isn't Catholic whatayasay buddy ?

You'd think 40 years of incompetence in the DR would be enough for some people.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Sox hadn't signed a non Cuban to a contract as big as the 1.8M they signed Herrera for some the $1.6 they offered DR to Micker Adolpho in 2013

I didn't dignify that stupid bet at the time because it's like asking me to bet that the sky wouldn't be blue tomorrow. Brave guy you are.

At the time the Sox still had near $3M left.  So I'm supposed to wait 10-11 months until the next January signing period to hear if the Sox signed any player from anywhere despite my beef being with our continued lack of DR signings . So ridiculous. Really went out on a limb with that ban bet 🤣Sure let's bet the Sox use their $6M and they won't sign more than 4 players ! Works for me 🤣

But so far despite all the insider talk about 5 or 6 DR signing we got 1 that someone found just reccently SS Mendez for $280K ! Hey SS let make a ban bet that the Pope isn't Catholic whatayasay buddy ?

They were pretty competent with Tatis, Jr., lol.  Of course, the father basically marketed his son to the Sox, rather than the other way around.

And ALMOST Soto and Guerrero, funny how they now get credit for finishing second and third for these big-name guys, like the thought process was absolutely correct but JR's checkbook not so much in agreement.

Or we're going to be stuck with this "age scandal reverberations" overhanging for months and months, like the Wander Franco case itself.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They were pretty competent with Tatis, Jr., lol.  Of course, the father basically marketed his son to the Sox, rather than the other way around.

And ALMOST Soto and Guerrero, funny how they now get credit for finishing second and third for these big-name guys, like the thought process was absolutely correct but JR's checkbook not so much in agreement.

Or we're going to be stuck with this "age scandal reverberations" overhanging for months and months, like the Wander Franco case itself.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm not sure what the beef is. I think James Fox said they'd be signing 4-5 DRs. This is one. $280k is a pretty substantial investment on one kid considering the pool they start with. Maybe you can call the front office. Seriously. Sometimes they'll put you through to someone who will shoot the sh*t with you about these guys for a bit. I once called to ask a question about a roster move, and Dan Evans got on the phone and talked about the trade that brought Foulke, Howry and 4 others. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You spent an entire month mad about this post... to come back with... this?

Hahahaha. Go back to bed.  Your grudge is just sad.

4 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I'm not sure what the beef is. I think James Fox said they'd be signing 4-5 DRs. This is one. $280k is a pretty substantial investment on one kid considering the pool they start with. Maybe you can call the front office. Seriously. Sometimes they'll put you through to someone who will shoot the sh*t with you about these guys for a bit. I once called to ask a question about a roster move, and Dan Evans got on the phone and talked about the trade that brought Foulke, Howry and 4 others. 

My beef or  the the Sox beef with the DR ? I know the Sox beef with the DR. It's too corrupt there. They always have problems with spending on a lot of things.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

My beef or  the the Sox beef that with the DR ? I know the Sox beef withe the DR. It's too corrupt there. They always problems with spending on a lot of things.

Your beef. The whole age scandal has probably gummed up the signings for everyone. They might only trot them out once they're verified. 

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

You spent an entire month mad about this post... to come back with... this?

Hahahaha. Go back to bed.  Your grudge is just sad.

No your grudge is just sad carrying water for an incompetent organization calling out people who have legit beefs about how poorly the Sox have operated internationally and neglect scouting and player development for JR's entire regime.

But hey maybe once Getz gets his bearings we can expect the Sox to go all in on some more mediocre/poor players like Benintendi for $75M.

Go take another extended vacation. No one missed you. Take that sucker ban bet you proposed and shove it.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Your beef. The whole age scandal has probably gummed up the signings for everyone. They might only trot them out once they're verified. 

So you're good with how the Sox have operated internationally in the DR for 40 years. It's the country that has been producing more great players for longer than any country besides the US in that time frame. Tell me what good DR players that the Sox drafted in those 40 years. I'll hang up and wait and wait and wait. Tatis JR.doesn't count since he was traded before he even got to play in the states.

You can name  probably all the other teams in the majors who have done better than the Sox in 40 years in the DR.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So you're good with how the Sox have operated internationally in the DR for 40 years. It's the country that has been producing more great players for longer than any country besides the US in that time frame. Tell me what good DR players that the Sox drafted in those 40 years. I'll hang up and wait and wait and wait. Tatis JR.doesn't count since he was traded before he even got to play in the states.

You can name  probably all the other teams in the majors who have done better than the Sox in 40 years in the DR.

I don't think announcing their signings quickly will solve the White Sox's lack of success in the DR. You seem to be angry the news of signings is coming out slowly. I don't believe I've been boasting about our success in the DR, so I'm not sure where that's coming from. 

You want to argue about something else than what I'm addressing. There's a big age scandal right now, so the Sox, being skittish in the international market, have probably decided to check and double check all the moves they had ready to go. 

26 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Do we get any credit for Jimenez?

Certainly not much.

He was all over everyone in the game's radar at that point.

At this point...don't imagine the success rate could be much worse if you brought back Dave Wilder.

Gor example, LHP Jesus Pena was the "best" product of the system for a span of like 10-15 years on the pitching side of things.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Do we get any credit for Jimenez?

Certainly not much.

He was all over everyone in the game's radar at that point.

At this point...don't imagine the success rate could be much worse if you brought back Dave Wilder.

Gor example, LHP Jesus Pena was the "best" product of the system for a span of like 10-15 years on the pitching side of things.

DR players have been coming to the MLB since the late 1950s. That's over 60 years of nearly nothing from that country. We trade for Eloy and despite the massive potential he hasn't made much of an impact because of injuries.

3 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I don't think announcing their signings quickly will solve the White Sox's lack of success in the DR. You seem to be angry the news of signings is coming out slowly. I don't believe I've been boasting about our success in the DR, so I'm not sure where that's coming from. 

You want to argue about something else than what I'm addressing. There's a big age scandal right now, so the Sox, being skittish in the international market, have probably decided to check and double check all the moves they had ready to go. 

Plenty of players signed from the DR have been announced. If the Sox have signed some why wouldn't they be announced ? Does that mean 3 or 4 of the supposed 4 or 5 DR signings might be involved in that scandal ?

Plus my beef is not the slowness of it. It's the continued lack of players from the DR during JR whole time as owner when that country produces more MLB players than any but the US and then being called out because I don't trust the Sox to do anything worthwhile in the DR because JR does nothing in the whole scouting and player development departments .

The whole board hates JR and Grifol and to me JR has been and always will be 100 % responsible for the Sox being a joke. I'm not angry at all. Sox lifer here. I roll with the changes. I tune into as many games as I can. I follow all aspects of the Sox and from the owner on down to low levels of the minors. You hear stuff again and again about how the Cubs have 3 times the amount of staff members than the Sox do and yet there are people still carrying buckets of water for JR because he finds ways not to spend money developing players and limiting the places he gets players from ,DR and Japan specifically .

Believe what you believe about the " age scandal"  being the reason and not JRs pocketbook and lack of paying for youth or staff or high priced Free agents or not signing pitchers long term .That's a lot of not spending for potentially great players and limiting your acquisition pool to the mediocre the bad and the ugly.

And you see this off season JR wanted to cut payroll so much that Getz was reduced to a garbage picker  .

Keep making excuses for him while the rest of MLB keeps making the Sox look like a bush league team.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 2

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Plenty of players signed from the DR have been announced. If the Sox have signed some why wouldn't they be announced ? Does that mean 3 or 4 of the supposed 4 or 5 DR signings might be involved in that scandal ?

Plus my beef is not the slowness of it. It's the continued lack of players from the DR during JR whole time as owner when that country produces more MLB players than any but the US and then being called out because I don't trust the Sox to do anything worthwhile in the DR because JR does nothing in the whole scouting and player development departments .

The whole board hates JR and Grifol and to me JR has been and always will be 100 % responsible for the Sox being a joke. I'm not angry at all. Sox lifer here. I roll with the changes. I tune into as many games as I can. I follow all aspects of the Sox and from the owner on down to low levels of the minors. You hear stuff again and again about how the Cubs have 3 times the amount of staff members than the Sox do and yet there are people still carrying buckets of water for JR because he finds ways not to spend money developing players and limiting the places he gets players from ,DR and Japan specifically .

Believe what you believe about the " age scandal"  being the reason and not JRs pocketbook and lack of paying for youth or staff or high priced Free agents or not signing pitchers long term .That's a lot of not spending for potentially great players and limiting your acquisition pool to the mediocre the bad and the ugly.

And you see this off season JR wanted to cut payroll so much that Getz was reduced to a garbage picker  .

Keep making excuses for him while the rest of MLB keeps making the Sox look like a bush league team.

They really had an opportunity to own Venezuela during the Ozzie/F.Garcia years.

They've actually been signing a lot more Venezuelans in recent years, compared to Dominicans...despite the majority of MLB clubs closing down their academies during the Hugo Chavez years.   White Sox didn't even have one down there during the height of Ozzie and his family (2004-2010).

Korea another barren wasteland until Fedde...who's not exactly a native there.