FutureSox: International Signing Preview

Y2Jimmy0

On 1/24/2024 at 1:19 PM, caulfield12 said:

DR?

LoL but the few people commenting on the DR got chastised as freaking out by the our water carrying mod who knew just as much about the situation as everybody else , which was nothing.

It's been more than adequate time for everyone who was signed to be announced.

We still have no idea if they actually signed anyone from the DR and how much money they have left.

Along with the age scandal this seems like something Fegan or Vinnie Duber should be following up on the next time they have access to Getz.

If they have a $2M left why ? Aren't you trying to build a farm system

Doesn't the lack of impact players ,that other teams routinely get from International  signings, continuously hurt the franchise and it's ability to remain competitive by building through the farm ?

I don't want to hear about Robert and Abreu. Ancient history . Where are the results for the last 40 years from other players internationally signed ?

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

LoL but the few people commenting on the DR got chastised as freaking out by the our water carrying mod who knew just as much about the situation as everybody else , which was nothing.

We still have no idea if they actually signed anyone from the DR and how much money they have left.

Along with the age scandal this seems like something Fegan or Vinnie Duber should be following up on the next time they have access to Getz.

Doesn't the lack of impact players ,that other teams routinely get from International  signings, continuously hurt the franchise and it's ability to remain competitive by building through the farm ?

I don't want to hear about Robert and Abreu. Ancient history . Where are the results for the last 40 years from other players internationally signed ?

I'm guessing in this case if they have leftover unspent money it is because JR has ordered it not to be spent. Have to slash the budget as much as possible to keep increasing the profit margin you understand. 😉

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Setting aside the Dominican Republic players, Baseball America announced four additional Venezuelans which I included in my OG post. Wonder what the hold up is on announcing those players given the information Baseball America reported.

If the Sox don’t fully max out their pool this year, I don’t have much of any hope of any long term progress for this team until a new non Reinsdorf family owner is in place. Getz is the last chance to convince Jerry that this low cost prospect hunting can payoff significantly down the road.

Last I saw, there are like 10 teams with $1 million+ "officially" unaccounted for. This includes teams that are known for being very active internationally, like the Astros and Dodgers. Orioles and Marlins are up around $2 million, Royals still have over $4 million...

Maybe there's some bureaucratic holdup impacting multiple teams/players. Maybe everyone's saving up for the Sasaki bidding war (or to just trade the Dodgers money to pay Sasaki with...)

Maybe it's the MiLB roster shrink this year...are some teams waiting to make room for their stateside promotions (via ST cuts and/or the MiLB 60 day opening) so that they then have room for their remaining DSL guys? 

Or I guess maybe the other teams have legitimate explanations, but in our case, Jerry just ran off into the woods with the international bonus pool money in a burlap sack like a cartoon villain. Wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to  catastrophize!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/40294-the-next-big-mlb-scandal-dominican-signings-and-buscones

Is there anything officially from MLB on this mystery?

Related to the Wander Franco case or more underage signings/buscones/private academies?

For those who haven't watched, highly recommend this documentary on the 2012 DR signing class headlined by Miguel Sano and former Sox Michael Ynoa.

"Ballplayer: Pelotero"

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18900471/the-complicated-state-haitian-dominicans-mlb

Edited by caulfield12

4 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Last I saw, there are like 10 teams with $1 million+ "officially" unaccounted for. This includes teams that are known for being very active internationally, like the Astros and Dodgers. Orioles and Marlins are up around $2 million, Royals still have over $4 million...

Maybe there's some bureaucratic holdup impacting multiple teams/players. Maybe everyone's saving up for the Sasaki bidding war (or to just trade the Dodgers money to pay Sasaki with...)

Maybe it's the MiLB roster shrink this year...are some teams waiting to make room for their stateside promotions (via ST cuts and/or the MiLB 60 day opening) so that they then have room for their remaining DSL guys? 

Or I guess maybe the other teams have legitimate explanations, but in our case, Jerry just ran off into the woods with the international bonus pool money in a burlap sack like a cartoon villain. Wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to  catastrophize!

Roki Sasaki come on down!

5 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

The White Sox’ $2.92M remaining “official” balance listed in the tweet is for the January 15, 2024 - January 14, 2025 signing period, which matches the tweet. I don’t understand why he referred to it as 2023, as that period is over.

6 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

This is the story about this year's hold up.

https://theathletic.com/5231394/2024/01/27/mlb-age-falsification-identity-fraud-dominican-republic/

Also in the White Sox signing tweet, they did announce that there were more signings to come.  

Screenshot_20240212_080535_X.jpg

48 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Some people are just too fragile.  Disagree with them and they passive aggressively cry about it for years.  Oh wait

Hahahahaha

I truly think you are insane. You didn't disagree. You called people out who were citing a continuous pattern of terrible international dealings who were wondering , not freaking out, about our DR signings and as usual you and your amateur shrink analysis was insulting and wrong. But rather than admit it you just continue sticking to your pitiful script. 

You do what bullies always do you attack and keep attacking and call out those you attack as weak and overly sensitive but on other issues act like a saint and a champion of the oppressed. You are a fraud.

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Setting aside the Dominican Republic players, Baseball America announced four additional Venezuelans which I included in my OG post. Wonder what the hold up is on announcing those players given the information Baseball America reported.

If the Sox don’t fully max out their pool this year, I don’t have much of any hope of any long term progress for this team until a new non Reinsdorf family owner is in place. Getz is the last chance to convince Jerry that this low cost prospect hunting can payoff significantly down the road.

I'm sure the current age scandal has a lot to do withe 7 or so teams having over $1M left and the Sox on that list.

You could blame it on the age scandal but this is just par for the course for the Sox.

There are always reasons not to play in international waters and the Sox are good at finding them. The most likely reasonings from the Sox are the DR is a cesspool of corruption and we don't like it and therefore choose to do everything above board.

Can't argue with that right ? Makes sense while the Sox franchise and farm system continuously flounders without any sustainef success internationally. Funny how other teams manage it without being sanctioned by MLB.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I truly think you are insane. You didn't disagree. You called people out who were citing a continuous pattern of terrible international dealings who were wondering , not freaking out, about our DR signings and as usual you and your amateur shrink analysis was insulting and wrong. But rather than admit it you just continue sticking to your pitiful script. 

You do what bullies always do you attack and keep attacking and call out those you attack as weak and overly sensitive but on other issues act like a saint and a champion of the oppressed. You are a fraud.

There is that name calling. 

Look, you want in, let's go ban bet.  If the Sox only sign these four players, I am banned.  When the Sox sign more, you are banned.

• Love 1

https://soxmachine.com/2023/09/white-sox-international-approach-in-need-of-overhaul/

https://www.futuresox.net/2023/10/06/2023-white-sox-affiliate-review-dominican-summer-league/

But now the White Sox’ operations in the D.R. are coming back. From Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com, who spoke with assistant GM Buddy Bell about Marco Paddy and the White Sox revitalized Dominican operations:

“You need scouts to find the talent and Marco has done a very good job since his hire last year,” Bell said in an email. “Our players at our Dominican academy look a lot different. This is the first time I can say we have some guys that have a chance to be impactful major leaguers. Very athletic looking kids.”

November 29th, 2012 NBCSports.com

Coincides with first year of Hahn as GM, of course.
Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

Okay the Sox have announced: Eduardo Herrera, Jesus Premoli, Orlando Suarez, Alexandre Valdiviezo and Jhoangel Suarez from Venezuela and Jurdrick Profar and Jeziel Boekhoudt from Curacao. 

Baseball America has them with Manuel Rumbos and Juan Berroteran from Venezuela as well. I'd heard they have 5-6 DR signings as well. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Okay the Sox have announced: Eduardo Herrera, Jesus Premoli, Orlando Suarez, Alexandre Valdiviezo and Jhoangel Suarez from Venezuela and Jurdrick Profar and Jeziel Boekhoudt from Curacao. 

Baseball America has them with Manuel Rumbos and Juan Berroteran from Venezuela as well. I'd heard they have 5-6 DR signings as well. 

Friends and family hasn't gone well for the Sox so far...that said, maybe Profar will prove to be an exception.

In his prime (before injuries) Jurickson was the quintessential type of dynamic athlete they seem to now be targeting...

3 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Numbers for the new guys:

This leaves the Sox with seven players officially signed.

• 3B $1.800,000 Eduardo Herrera (10/23/06) San Felipe, Venezuela (Signed 1/24/24)
  • SS $600,000 Jurdrick Profar (4/24/07) Willemstad, Curacao (Signed 1/24/24)
  • 3B $550,000 Jesus Premoli (1/19/07) Barquisimeto, Venezuela (Signed 1/24/24)
  • RHP $375,000 Orlando Suarez - Pending online transaction update on MLB/Milb.com
  • RHP $100,000 Alexandre Valdiviezo - Pending online transaction update on MLB/Milb.com
  • SS $80,000 Jhoangel Suarez - Pending online transaction update on MLB/Milb.com
  • RHP $55,000 Jeziel Boekhoudt (1/29/07) Willemstad, Curacao (Signed 1/23/24) 

The White Sox have $2,365,000 remaining, of their $5,925,000 total pool through 1/14/25 for:

• Venezuelans Juan Berroteran & Manuel Ramos
  • Dominican Republican pending signings
  • Additional players
  • +/- Trades of slot money
Edited by South Side Hit Men

On 2/12/2024 at 5:32 PM, South Side Hit Men said:

This leaves the Sox with seven players officially signed.

• 3B $1.800,000 Eduardo Herrera (10/23/06) San Felipe, Venezuela (Signed 1/24/24)
  • SS $600,000 Jurdrick Profar (4/24/07) Willemstad, Curacao (Signed 1/24/24)
  • 3B $550,000 Jesus Premoli (1/19/07) Barquisimeto, Venezuela (Signed 1/24/24)
  • RHP $375,000 Orlando Suarez - Pending online transaction update on MLB/Milb.com
  • RHP $100,000 Alexandre Valdiviezo - Pending online transaction update on MLB/Milb.com
  • SS $80,000 Jhoangel Suarez - Pending online transaction update on MLB/Milb.com
  • RHP $55,000 Jeziel Boekhoudt (1/29/07) Willemstad, Curacao (Signed 1/23/24) 

The White Sox have $2,365,000 remaining, of their $5,925,000 total pool through 1/14/25 for:

• Venezuelans Juan Berroteran & Manuel Ramos
  • Dominican Republican pending signings
  • Additional players
  • +/- Trades of slot money

James Fox says he hears they have 5-6 Dominican signings. Waiting for the fallout from the age scandal before releasing names and bonuses perhaps.

5-6 DR signings more than likely means below $2M left for the Sox if its 6 players averaging $60K per guy so its a very conservative estimate.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
conservative not conversation
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

James Fox says he hears they have 5-6 Dominican signings. Waiting for the fallout from the age scandal before releasing names and bonuses perhaps.

5-6 DR signings more than likely means below $2M left for the Sox if its 6 players averaging $60K per guy so its a very conversation estimate.

Which is prudent, there is still plenty of time.

Just want them to start spending their pool wisely vs. trading/giving away significant balances each year. Hope Getz has a backbone on this front, for what amounts to a rounding error in the organization's annual budget.

Their signing younger players in the draft and possibly the DR gives me hope there will be positive changes in approach on both fronts (domestic and international).

Edited by South Side Hit Men

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So despite all the talk about hearing there were 5 or 6 DR players what have got so far ? 1 ?

And how long ago was day when most teams announced their signing ?

Maybe they just stage the big prospects, and don't bother buying a cap and jersey for the kid who signs for $600.