Spring Training - 2/13 Pitchers and Catchers / Sox v. Cubs 2/23/2024

Texsox

What a fast winter. Has a season started with lower expectations? 

But I can't wait to see some MLB baseball. There is a great opportunity for guys to earn the MLB check. I suspect this will be an interesting spring training.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Texsox said:

What a fast winter. Has a season started with lower expectations? 

But I can't wait to see some MLB baseball. There is a great opportunity for guys to earn the MLB check. I suspect this will be an interesting spring training.

Possibly going into the 1970 season after the disasters on and off the field in 1968 and 1969. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Possibly going into the 1970 season after the disasters on and off the field in 1968 and 1969. 

What's Past is Prologue. I'd like to think the whole world is ready to watch (or listen) to White Sox baseball on March 28, 2024, and Spring Training broadcasts leading up to the season.

• Peter Cetera (Quigley Preparatory Seminary & Mendel High School Class of 1962) - bass, vocals, agogo bells
  • Robert Lamm (Chicago Vocational High School Class of 1962) - acoustic piano, Hammond organ, Hohner Pianet electric piano, Wurlitzer electric piano, vocals, maracas
  • Terry Kath (Chicago Taft High School Class of 1964) - electric guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals
  • Lee Loughnane (Saint Mel High School Class of 1964) - trumpet, claves
  • James Pankow  (Notre Dame (Niles) Class of 1965)- trombone, cowbell
  • Walter Parazaider (Proviso West High School Class of 1965) - woodwinds, tambourine
  • Danny Seraphine (Steinmetz High School - Withdrew in 1963 prior to graduation) - drums, percussion

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

What's Past is Prologue. I'd like to think the whole world is ready to watch (or listen) to White Sox baseball on March 28, 2024, and Spring Training broadcasts leading up to the season.

• Peter Cetera (Quigley Preparatory Seminary & Mendel High School Class of 1962) - bass, vocals, agogo bells
  • Robert Lamm (Chicago Vocational High School Class of 1962) - acoustic piano, Hammond organ, Hohner Pianet electric piano, Wurlitzer electric piano, vocals, maracas
  • Terry Kath (Chicago Taft High School Class of 1964) - electric guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals
  • Lee Loughnane (Saint Mel High School Class of 1964) - trumpet, claves
  • James Pankow  (Notre Dame (Niles) Class of 1965)- trombone, cowbell
  • Walter Parazaider (Proviso West High School Class of 1965) - woodwinds, tambourine
  • Danny Seraphine (Steinmetz High School - Withdrew in 1963 prior to graduation) - drums, percussion

Unless the Sox get off to a surprisingly decent start I suspect ratings for TV and radio will be at an all-time low. 

40 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Unless the Sox get off to a surprisingly decent start I suspect ratings for TV and radio will be at an all-time low. 

They will be low, but not all time low.

The Sunshine boys pulled in minuscule  numbers of viewers during their on-tv fiasco.

And while I don’t believe the Sox ever had to pay a radio station for airtime like the Hawks did for a period while Dollar Bill was still alive, I doubt the Sox drew many on the now shuttered 1300 AM in the early 1970s, even with Harry Caray beginning his tenure here after leaving Oakland.

I do expect mostly Jesus and Union ads this season similar to last year’s mix. Still beats the strip clubs, blue sex pills and other lowlife advertisers found throughout The Score’s existence.

Camelback Ranch tickets are more expensive than Guaranteed Rate Field tickets...how does that work? 40 dollars to watch them play the Royals... Still going to try to see a couple of games but watching the workouts would probably be fun. 

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They will be low, but not all time low.

The Sunshine boys pulled in minuscule  numbers of viewers during their on-tv fiasco.

And while I don’t believe the Sox ever had to pay a radio station for airtime like the Hawks did for a period while Dollar Bill was still alive, I doubt the Sox drew many on the now shuttered 1300 AM in the early 1970s, even with Harry Caray beginning his tenure here after leaving Oakland.

I do expect mostly Jesus and Union ads this season similar to last year’s mix. Still beats the strip clubs, blue sex pills and other lowlife advertisers found throughout The Score’s existence.

Actually according to the research done by Dr. Fletcher, John Owens and others in the book "Chili Dog MVP" the Sox were paying the smaller stations around the area to carry their games in 1971 and 1972 after no mainstream radio station wanted them after the disasters of 1968, 1969 and 1970. I can look through the book to see if they listed actual dollar amounts but they were paying for the air time and providing their own commercials.

13 hours ago, nrockway said:

Camelback Ranch tickets are more expensive than Guaranteed Rate Field tickets...how does that work? 40 dollars to watch them play the Royals... Still going to try to see a couple of games but watching the workouts would probably be fun. 

Does Camelback Ranch do dynamic pricing for Dodgers and/or Sox games? Because I can see them justifying $40 for a Dodgers team  that people want to see. Really not sure how gate receipts work at that facility, would be interested if others have information on how that relationship works.

11 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Actually according to the research done by Dr. Fletcher, John Owens and others in the book "Chili Dog MVP" the Sox were paying the smaller stations around the area to carry their games in 1971 and 1972 after no mainstream radio station wanted them after the disasters of 1968, 1969 and 1970. I can look through the book to see if they listed actual dollar amounts but they were paying for the air time and providing their own commercials.

Not sure about the radio contract, but the Sox paid WSNS-TV to televise the games from 1973-1976. The Sox paid production costs and sold the advertising themselves. (WSNS had similar deals with the Bulls and the old Chicago Cougars hockey team.) That was a big drop-off from the Sox previous contract with WFLD, which had paid more than a million dollars a year to lure the Sox away from WGN in 1968.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I joined up in 1970 which might have been their worst season, 106L. Current state is now football and non-Sox baseball are getting more of my attention as time goes on and maybe soccer is next.  I also remember the Milwaukee White Sox of 1968-1969. Had the Seattle Pilots not piloted into County Stadium in 1970, things might have become interesting. Bud Selig might have helped save our team for Chicago.

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Does Camelback Ranch do dynamic pricing for Dodgers and/or Sox games? Because I can see them justifying $40 for a Dodgers team  that people want to see. Really not sure how gate receipts work at that facility, would be interested if others have information on how that relationship works.

Evidently they do dynamic pricing which I guess just means I won't be buying tickets beforehand. It's currently $40 to sit 10 rows behind the visitor's dugout to watch the Sox vs Royals, I was hoping it would be more like 10 bucks...we'll see what the turnout is like and how it affects pricing but I bet sharing a complex with the Dodgers doesn't help. 

The Sox first game is "at" the Cubs and it's pretty much sold out, lawn tickets are $30 which seems outrageous but I'd like to see their new(ish) facility and it's a closer drive than Glendale. 

5 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Evidently they do dynamic pricing which I guess just means I won't be buying tickets beforehand. It's currently $40 to sit 10 rows behind the visitor's dugout to watch the Sox vs Royals, I was hoping it would be more like 10 bucks...we'll see what the turnout is like and how it affects pricing but I bet sharing a complex with the Dodgers doesn't help. 

The Sox first game is "at" the Cubs and it's pretty much sold out, lawn tickets are $30 which seems outrageous but I'd like to see their new(ish) facility and it's a closer drive than Glendale. 

I went to the ultimately worthless 2020 ST, paid $23.75 total for shaded seats including $6.75 in fees direct from the team. A game like the Royals shouldn't be crowded, so you can buy pretty much any level seat and be able to move around. There were less than 2,000 for the game I went to vs. the Padres. Would think beyond the Dodgers, Cubs and possibly the Diamondbacks, shouldn't be large crowds to contend with.

The club isn't going to discount behind dugout seats for $10, but you should check on stubhub or other reseller sites and you should find a solid price even with fees from people who can't use their tickets if you are patient. The White Sox typically rank last (or near last) in Spring Training Attendance.

https://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/attendance/spring-training-2020.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pcq said:

I joined up in 1970 which might have been their worst season, 106L. Current state is now football and non-Sox baseball are getting more of my attention as time goes on and maybe soccer is next.  I also remember the Milwaukee White Sox of 1968-1969. Had the Seattle Pilots not piloted into County Stadium in 1970, things might have become interesting. Bud Selig might have helped save our team for Chicago.

Art Allyn actually had a handshake agreement with Selig who was moving the Sox to Milwaukee. That got torpedoed when John Allyn (also part owner) said if he wanted to move the club it would have to be brought up before the Artnell Company Board of Directors for a vote.

For whatever reason Art Allyn did not do that and instead sold the team to John. 

On 1/29/2024 at 9:01 PM, nrockway said:

Camelback Ranch tickets are more expensive than Guaranteed Rate Field tickets...how does that work?

Captive audience. People who go to spring training, go to spring training. Nobody's going to not schedule a February Arizona Sox/golf trip because tix are $10 more. And once they're there, the game is the whole purpose of the trip. 

• Thanks 1