If we trade Maggs

SoxFan1

If we trade Maggs, what will you miss most?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. If we trade Maggs, what will you miss most?

• Oh-Wee-Oh, Magglio!
    • Diving Catches
    • Clutch Hits
    • Base-Stealing Ability
    • The fact that he's better than Sosa

If there was an all of the above choice I'd have to pick that.

There should be. It sickens me that I am a fan of a team that will allow..... arguably..... one of the best RF's in the AL, hell, MLB, go for 3 cheap buttwipes and some bat tape just because JR wants to back out of paying him, "to remain competitive."

I'd like to see the Sox move Konerko, Koch and even Lee to clear payroll to keep Magglio and give him a new contract at 9-10 mill a year. Hold out for him to figure it out right now and just put the team in position where they can pay Maggs a little over market value for the season. When he sees what Vladdy and Sheffield get he'll quickly realize he better take a fair offer cause the economy is only going to continue to correct itself for the next few years (By economy I mean baseball economy and deflating towards what players should be making).

By moving Konerko...the toughest of the tasks then you open up a place to bring someone like Robin for a year to play with a righty and kind of platoon at first with Thomas DH'ing and can have Maggs in the cleanup spot and your platoon in the 5 hole with Crede in the 2 hole.

Lee brings you starting pitching and then I'd like to see the Sox who would need two out fielders, go after Cameron for like a 3 yr 10-12 mill deal to play center and plan on Reed/Rowand in left. If you need to use Borchard to get rid of Konerko for Perez you do it. Then dangle Lee for a legit leadoff hitter or another starter and then the Sox don't even have to look at free agency other then to add a vet or two to the bench as well as a vet or two to the pen.

Think of this

Trade for a leadoff hitter (using Lee) - 2nd Baseman (could just sign Alomar/Vina and trade Lee for another starter)

Jeremy Reed

Frank Thomas

Magglio

Ventura/Righty FA (maybe a Reggie Sanders or Rondell White; whoever is hanging around)

Mike Cameron

Jose Valentin

Joe Crede

Miguel Olivo

Thats got some speed throughout the lineup. Only Thomas and Crede are slow and everyone else can flat go. You would have some k's, but most of the guys that whiff are also patient. Ventura, Thomas, Cameron is improving at that. Your leadoff guy, Reed, Magglio likely won't k (well Reed won't once ready, imo..so I probably shouldn't project that).

Defensively damn..that outfield could flat get to the ball and in the infield we all know Robin can pick it at first and everything else would be solid. Find a way to move Jose and get Itzuris and your still in good shape but free up 5 more mill.

As far as the payroll from my above example.

About 34 million in the offense...depending...kind of a high estimate. This is definately worrisome, BUT, move Jose which wouldn't be too bad and figure a way to get Itzuris and you save 4 mill and I think once you renegotiate with Magglio, you'll save about 4 mill so eventually you'd get it down to about 26 mill.

Pitching Wise

Perez - 4.5

Elo - 4.5

Buehrle - 4

Garland - 2

Other Starter - 2 (Should be plenty to get a solid guy; if you deal Lee u could get a quality young pitcher that is still signed for cheap too)

17 mill. So thats now 51 mill before moving Jose and renegotiating with Magglio. But it figures Buehrle signing an extension and Garland signing one. U could be a little cheaper if you just go through arbitration.

So now budgeted isn't much for the pen, but u have Marte, Wunsch, Scho and Wright for about 4 mill meaning you have 3 to add two guys. Do some interesting maneuvering and you could get in around 58 mill and then if ya clear the 8 mill you'd be in around 52 mill to 54 with all your relievers and figure a little extra in salary you have to take and that gives ya about an extra 4-5 mill to pick up in trades.

I call it viable. If Cameron won't come for that price, then look to insert Jose cruz Jr in left field for cheap and play Reed in center (Cruz could be had for 2.5 mil or so saving you a little more).

This is a way to keep Maggs and Thomas together and have most of hte team signed for the next few years so you don't really have to worry near as much the next few seasons about going over budget.

You'd rather move CLee than Maggs, Jas? I dunno. CLee is cheaper, IMO has more upside in terms of power, obviously can be a good runner on the bases, has really solidified his defense, and is younger. Maggs after 2004 is gonna walk anyways, looking for the big payday, and we certainly won't be the team to give it to him.

Thats got some speed throughout the lineup. Only Thomas and Crede are slow and everyone else can flat go. You would have some k's, but most of the guys that whiff are also patient. Ventura, Thomas, Cameron is improving at that. Your leadoff guy, Reed, Magglio likely won't k (well Reed won't once ready, imo..so I probably shouldn't project that).

Ummmm ... last time I checked, Robin wasn't exactly a speed demon. :D

There should be. It sickens me that I am a fan of a team that will allow..... arguably..... one of the best RF's in the AL, hell, MLB, go for 3 cheap buttwipes and some bat tape just because JR wants to back out of paying him, "to remain competitive."

Yeah, what I'm going to miss is the idea that my team's management wants to make the playoffs by assembling the best team they can, not the best team they can under 55 million.

You'd rather move CLee than Maggs, Jas? I dunno. CLee is cheaper, IMO has more upside in terms of power, obviously can be a good runner on the bases, has really solidified his defense, and is younger. Maggs after 2004 is gonna walk anyways, looking for the big payday, and we certainly won't be the team to give it to him.

You read my mind Cap. Add in there the fact Maggs seemed to take a step backwards this year, and the monetary difference between the players and you have my exact feelings on the matter.