Sox interested in Tejada

southsider2k5

Well, the article doesn't say that Tejada is interested in the Sox...only that the Sox are interested in him if his price drops.

Since Maggs doesn't seem to want to stick around for a little less money, I wouldn't mind trading him for a top notch pitcher and then signing Tejada. I doubt that'll happen, though.

Interesting to note that, according to the article, the Sox offer to Magglio included deferred money. The Colon offer reportedly was loaded with deferred money. So the Sox can say the offered a gazillion bucks, but the offers are viewed by the player/agent as inferior. End result? Salary containment, and mediocrity.

How do you infer from that article that Tejada is interested in the Sox.  Sounds more like the Sox are interested in him if they can clear payroll.  Big difference, my friend.

From what I've read recently, Sox are gonna be getting a lot more agressive out there. I have no idea whether thats true, but you are right, it all depends in they can clear cash.

I think they want to move Lee and Konerko for pitching and then resign Maggs, who has now turned down a backloaded 3 year deal with deferred money.

Their are reports from Peter Gammons that the Sox plan on moving Jose Valentin to 2nd base, which could mean the Sox are interested in Matsui or Tejada.

My guess is, if Tejada's price falls far enough down, Sox will move Carlos Lee or whoever to sign him. I'd rather pay Tejada 6 or 7 mill then Carlos Lee, soley because its much more valuable to have a shortstop that can do what Tejada can then a leftfielder that can do what Carlos can. Plus Carlos can net you something very good in return.

Hell at the very least the Sox are exciting me.

Well if its Tejada or Maggs, I say Tejada. Tejada will cost half of what Maggs does and will play a much more important position. Its a lot easier to get production similar to Maggs from a rf, then production similar to Tejada as well as defense at short. Although power wise, Jose was close to Tejada production.

Tejada heated up as the season went on though. If its Tejada or Lee, then hands down Tejada.

His ass because no one I know has heard this. KW would be a fool to even sit on a Maggs/Tejada-Mulder deal considering they're looking for quality starting pitching and they're looking to dump Maggs contact.

So true...I think thats one deal where the Sox would tell Kenny what are you waiting for...deal with Beane. :lol:

Trust me...KW ain't gonna be dealing with bean anytime soon, unless he knows damn well that he's getting an absolute steal.

Oh crap...anyone have a link to this.  Now your making me all excited.  Sorry bout jumping on ya Beastly. 

I couldn't see this happening, but if it did, it make my day.  I'd have to think someone would be going along with Maggs.

If Beastly ain't talking out his ass, Rogers is. KW would be dumber than a box of rocks to not deal with Beane on this deal..... whether KW's feeling are hurt from "MONEYBALL" or not.

If Beastly ain't talking out his ass, Rogers is. KW would be dumber than a box of rocks to not deal with Beane on this deal..... whether KW's feeling are hurt from "MONEYBALL" or not.

Someone can't exactly read then. Here is the article.

Carlos Delgado is steamed, and he has a right to be. If anyone on an also-ran deserved to be American League MVP, it was Delgado, not Alex Rodriguez.

Not only did Toronto do a whole lot better than last-place Texas, but also Delgado was far more consistent than Rodriguez. With the exception of home runs, his numbers were better across the board.

Rodriguez should get an edge because he's a solid shortstop while Delgado plays first base, a hitter's position. But Rodriguez is based at the Ballpark in Arlington, one of the best hitter's parks in the major leagues.

Why did Rodriguez win?

With his endless politicking, Rodriguez turned the wide-open MVP race into a referendum on Rodriguez, while Delgado suffered from the lack of attention that comes from playing in Canada. Rodriguez made sure his numbers were in voters' heads; Delgado slipped into the background.

If the election had been based on first- and second-place votes alone, Delgado would have beaten Rodriguez. He was in the top two on 13 of the 28 ballots; Rodriguez was there on only 11. But Delgado was out of sight, out of mind for too many voters.

Rodriguez got six third-place votes; Delgado got three. Rodriguez got six fourth-place votes; Delgado got one. Rodriguez got two fifth-place votes; Delgado got one.

That's 14 third- to fifth-place votes for Rodriguez compared to only five for Delgado. The difference is 102 voting points for Rodriguez to 37 for Delgado, who overall finished 32 points behind.

"Sometimes results are questionable," Delgado said. "If they were going to pick someone from a team that didn't win, I thought it might be me. That's what I get for thinking."

Tracy Ringolsby of the Rocky Mountain News said it well, calling the 2003 MVP award Rodriguez's "True Grit." Few believe that's the best movie John Wayne ever made, but it came out in the right year for him to get the Best Actor award that had eluded him after years of excellence.

Big shadow: Jerry Manuel is one of four finalists for the managerial vacancy in Cincinnati. Based on his performance with young White Sox teams, he would be an excellent choice. But should he really want it?

Not only will the next Reds manager have to win with limited resources, but he could be little more than an interim manager with Pete Rose on his way to reinstatement. Unless Commissioner Bud Selig keeps him ineligible to manage, it would be hard for Cincinnati management to resist turning to Rose as a way to fill the new ballpark.

Ethically, there's no way Rose should be back in the manager's office. But it would be fun to see what he could do, and pro sports need all the fun they can find. So don't be surprised if he gets a second chance.

The other candidates are Dave Miley, who took over for Bob Boone last season, and Tampa Bay bench coach John McLaren and Pittsburgh farm director Brian Graham.

In the dark: The chances of Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez returning to Florida appear to be lessening. He's upset he hasn't received a contract offer, although there's still two weeks left to get a deal.

"It's incredible," a source close to Rodriguez told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "I don't know what they're thinking. No one is indispensable, but he did something very big for that team. . . . He lives in Miami. He likes the team, but he's not going to give himself away. . . . Why not three years at $9.5 million? You can bet he'll take it."

As part of the one-year agreement with Rodriguez, the Marlins agreed not to offer him salary arbitration. That means two things: They have to sign him by Dec. 7, and outside teams signing him won't lose draft picks.

It's unclear what the market is for Rodriguez, who stayed healthy all of 2003, then hit .313 in the postseason. The Cubs want to add more production from the catcher's spot but may have to deal Damian Miller before pursuing someone like Rodriguez or Javy Lopez.

Helping hand: New White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was credited with helping resurrect the career of the Marlins' Alex Gonzalez. He preached a joy-of-the-game type message to him, which the shortstop bought into.

Guillen also played a role in the emergence of Wilson Valdez, a 23-year-old Dominican who could be a possible replacement for free agent second baseman Luis Castillo. Guillen made Valdez a spring-training project. A natural shortstop, he hit .295 with 49 stolen bases between Double A and Triple A while learning to play second.

"His bat has improved tremendously," one Marlins player-development type said. "He's an excellent defender, athletic and fearless on the bases. His attitude has changed completely."

Making a push: After six consecutive third-place seasons, Toronto is intent on making a push for the playoffs in 2004. The Blue Jays added starters Ted Lilly and Pat Hentgen on back-to-back days last week.

A lack of depth behind Cy Young Award winner Roy "Doc" Halladay was a major problem for the Blue Jays last year. They would love to keep Kelvim Escobar, but he has not jumped at a two-year, $10 million offer, instead reportedly accepting a three-year deal with Anaheim.

Lilly won 12 games for Oakland last year. Hentgen was 7-8 for Baltimore.

GM J.P. Ricciardi is pumped about adding Lilly, who came from Oakland in a trade for outfielder Bobby Kielty.

"I think he's a solid No. 3 (starter)," Ricciardi said. "He's a left-hander, and if we can get someone to step into No. 2, and I hope it's Escobar, we'll be in good shape. I'm hoping Escobar is paying attention to what we've done and he'll want to stay and be a part of it."

Whispers: San Diego fleeced Oakland with the deal that sent Carlos Hernandez and Terrence Long to the Padres for outfielder Mark Kotsay, whose production never has justified his contract. It's hard to understand what Oakland GM Billy Beane is up to, but it must be wild. Wonder if he would swap Mark Mulder for Magglio Ordonez if the White Sox would take Jermaine Dye, who is due $11 million in 2004? . . . Barry Bonds is stumping for San Francisco to add an elite hitter, but San Francisco Chronicle columnist Ray Ratto predicts GM Brian Sabean once again will shop at ReggieSanders.com. . . . Erstwhile Florida closer Braden Looper, who converted 41-of-47 save situations in one stretch in 2002-03, is a possible non-tender. Like released Colorado closer Jose Jimenez, he would make a good set-up man for the Cubs. . . . No one's working harder this off-season than Phillies slugger Pat Burrell, who hit .209 and struck out 142 times after signing a six-year, $50 million contract. Charlie Manuel spent time with him in Arizona. . . . Number of the week: Double-A Birmingham was 20-4 in starts by right-hander Enemencio Pacheco and 57-61 behind all other starters. He'll go to spring training with the White Sox as a darkhorse for the No. 5 starter's spot.

How many times do i have to say that sign and trades don't happen in baseball.

Still we get Tejada and we are still slow, no leadoff guy yet cause Jose would be at second. I would rather get Renteria from the cards.

Mulder for Maggs.. Mmmm wonder how Mulder's arm is

It also could mean the sox are in the ARod Sweepstakes. :rolleyes:

Well if Mags doesn't want to be here long-term and there's some possibility that we could go after Tejada, I'll be all for some kind of Mags trade.

Maggs has never expressed a desire to leave the White Sox. The owner that signed him a few years ago to a contract that called for Maggs to be paid on the low end at the first part of the contract but to be paid $15 million for '04 is the person that wants to run Maggs out of town. But the Sox have offered to re-work Maggs' current contract to $15 million w/deferments. They've shown that they're willing to do anything to keep Maggs.

Just another example of JR's cheapness and an unwillingness to honor the contract that he agreed upon years ago with Maggs.