Sexson traded to Zona

Cerbaho-WG

CHICAGO - It appears the Arizona Diamondbacks will be getting the slugger they have coveted.

According to ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago, the Diamondbacks have agreed to a five-player trade with the Milwaukee Brewers that will bring power-hitting first baseman Richie Sexson to Arizona.

After clearing room on the payroll by shipping high-priced righthander Curt Schilling to Boston on Friday, Arizona would send second baseman Junior Spivey, first baseman Lyle Overbay, versatile infielder Craig Counsell and lefthander Chris Capuano to the Brewers.

The trade is expected to be completed Monday after the players complete physicals, the radio station reported Saturday.

Lacking punch in the middle of their lineup beyond Luis Gonzalez, the Diamondbacks gladly would welcome Sexson, who matched a career high with 45 home runs last season, two behind National League leader Jim Thome.

The 6-8 slugger played every game for the Brewers in 2003, hitting .272 and driving in 124 runs, one shy of his career best.

Drafted by Cleveland in 1993, the 28-year-old Sexson owns a .273 career average with 191 homers and 593 RBIs in 813 games.

The Brewers, who were ordered by the team's board of directors to trim the payroll this offseason, would have a new look on the infield as a result of the trade.

Spivey, 28, was one of several Diamondbacks to miss time due to injury last season. Sidelined for 31 games with a sprained ankle, he batted .255 with 13 homers and 50 RBIs in 106 games.

The 2003 campaign was a disappointment compared to Spivey's breakout season the year before, when he hit .301 with 15 homers and 78 RBIs and made the National League All-Star team.

Milwaukee hopes the 33-year-old Counsell brings his World Series magic to Miller Park. After scoring the series-winning run for Florida in 1997, Counsell was hit by a pitch to load the bases in the ninth inning of Game Seven in 2001, setting up Gonzalez's championship-winning single.

Counsell, who has played all four infield positions during his career, missed 53 games in 2003 after undergoing right thumb surgery. He batted .234 with three homers and 21 RBIs in 89 games.

In 658 contests with Colorado, Florida, Los Angeles and Arizona, Counsell has a .266 career average with 16 homers and 188 RBIs.

Given a chance to wrestle the first base job away from Mark Grace, Overbay was unable to produce and was sent to Class AAA Tucson in July. The 26-year-old was recalled in September and finished the season with a .276 average, four homers and 28 RBIs in 86 games.

Capuano, 25, made his major league debut in 2003, going 2-4 with a 4.64 ERA in nine games, including five starts. The lefthander, who was an eighth-round selection in the 1999 draft, rebounded from "Tommy John" surgery, which he underwent in May 2002.

Don't know about any prior responses, but without knowing the contract situations of all these guys, I'd say the Brewers got the better of the deal. If we could have unloaded Konerko for Spivey, Overbay, and Counsell I would have done it in a second.

Don't know about any prior responses, but without knowing the contract situations of all these guys, I'd say the Brewers got the better of the deal.  If we could have unloaded Konerko for Spivey, Overbay, and Counsell I would have done it in a second.

I think he's thinking of a different thread. I have to agree with you. Even though Sexson has put up some really good stats in recent years, I don't think he commands that much talent in a trade.

I think he's thinking of a different thread. I have to agree with you. Even though Sexson has put up some really good stats in recent years, I don't think he commands that much talent in a trade.

Ah yeah he was talking about the Phil Rogers thread, which I have now seen.

Guys,

The Phoenix fans are really fickle, and they were probably and most likely really pissed that the D-Backs traded Schilling. But they got a big-name guy just a day later, which should calm the fans down somewhat. But don't expect them to re-sign Sexson - so he's just a one-year stopgap.

One N.L. general manager said it best in this week's Sporting News, "Sexson may hit 50 home runs, but I would rather take my chances not facing Curt Schilling four or five times a year."

Now the D-Backs' starting rotation consists of a 40-year-old stud on his last legs, a mediocre Miguel Batista, an inconsistent Elmer Dessens, and young unproven pitchers. Even with Sexson, the D-Backs don't have a chance in that division.

But they have the one thing I would kill for - A World Series Championship. <_>

Now the D-Backs' starting rotation consists of a 40-year-old stud on his last legs, a mediocre Miguel Batista, an inconsistent Elmer Dessens, and young unproven pitchers.  Even with Sexson, the D-Backs don't have a chance in that division.

I like the rest of your post except this part.

Batista may or may not return to Arizona next year. Just depends on what happens in free agency. And you are forgetting Brandon Webb, who, in all reality, should have been rookie of the year. Had like a 2.50 ERA for 4 or 5 months. He had a hell of a year and is a pretty damn good pitcher, so I don't think they have s*** for starting. Sign a decent starter or two and they will be OK. But they won't win the divsion because they most likely gave up as much offense if not more to get Sexson then what they will actually receive from Sexson and Spivey's replacement, as well as Counsell's replacement too.

Brandon Webb is a good young pitcher, and so is Andrew Good. However, both of them still have a "learning curve" when it comes to the major league scene.

Basically, the D-Backs are rolling the dice with their rotation. Sometimes when you roll the dice, you keep hitting the bonus. But the majority of the time, you roll snake eyes.

The D-Backs are really hoping, praying, and counting on some young pitchers coming through. That might happen, but it's extremely risky and could end up costing them big time. As they say in Las Vegas, "Let's see where the dice end up."

Brandon Webb is a good young pitcher, and so is Andrew Good.  However, both of them still have a "learning curve" when it comes to the major league scene.

Basically, the D-Backs are rolling the dice with their rotation.  Sometimes when you roll the dice,  you keep hitting the bonus.  But the majority of the time, you roll snake eyes. 

The D-Backs are really hoping, praying, and counting on some young pitchers coming through.  That might happen, but it's extremely risky and could end up costing them big time. As they say in Las Vegas, "Let's see where the dice end up."

If they can ship out Mantei and his 7 million salary, then they could go afta another starter. Still a 1-2 punch of Johnson and Webb is easily one of da best in da league.

CHICAGO - It appears the Arizona Diamondbacks will be getting the slugger they have coveted.

According to ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago, the Diamondbacks have agreed to a five-player trade with the Milwaukee Brewers that will bring power-hitting first baseman Richie Sexson to Arizona.

After clearing room on the payroll by shipping high-priced righthander Curt Schilling to Boston on Friday, Arizona would send second baseman Junior Spivey, first baseman Lyle Overbay, versatile infielder Craig Counsell and lefthander Chris Capuano to the Brewers.

The trade is expected to be completed Monday after the players complete physicals, the radio station reported Saturday.

Lacking punch in the middle of their lineup beyond Luis Gonzalez, the Diamondbacks gladly would welcome Sexson, who matched a career high with 45 home runs last season, two behind National League leader Jim Thome.

The 6-8 slugger played every game for the Brewers in 2003, hitting .272 and driving in 124 runs, one shy of his career best.

Drafted by Cleveland in 1993, the 28-year-old Sexson owns a .273 career average with 191 homers and 593 RBIs in 813 games.

The Brewers, who were ordered by the team's board of directors to trim the payroll this offseason, would have a new look on the infield as a result of the trade.

Spivey, 28, was one of several Diamondbacks to miss time due to injury last season. Sidelined for 31 games with a sprained ankle, he batted .255 with 13 homers and 50 RBIs in 106 games.

The 2003 campaign was a disappointment compared to Spivey's breakout season the year before, when he hit .301 with 15 homers and 78 RBIs and made the National League All-Star team.

Milwaukee hopes the 33-year-old Counsell brings his World Series magic to Miller Park. After scoring the series-winning run for Florida in 1997, Counsell was hit by a pitch to load the bases in the ninth inning of Game Seven in 2001, setting up Gonzalez's championship-winning single.

Counsell, who has played all four infield positions during his career, missed 53 games in 2003 after undergoing right thumb surgery. He batted .234 with three homers and 21 RBIs in 89 games.

In 658 contests with Colorado, Florida, Los Angeles and Arizona, Counsell has a .266 career average with 16 homers and 188 RBIs.

Given a chance to wrestle the first base job away from Mark Grace, Overbay was unable to produce and was sent to Class AAA Tucson in July. The 26-year-old was recalled in September and finished the season with a .276 average, four homers and 28 RBIs in 86 games.

Capuano, 25, made his major league debut in 2003, going 2-4 with a 4.64 ERA in nine games, including five starts. The lefthander, who was an eighth-round selection in the 1999 draft, rebounded from "Tommy John" surgery, which he underwent in May 2002.

I always liked Richie Sexson. He's kinda like a modern day Dave Kingman.

Now the D-Backs' starting rotation consists of a 40-year-old stud on his last legs, a mediocre Miguel Batista, an inconsistent Elmer Dessens, and young unproven pitchers. Even with Sexson, the D-Backs don't have a chance in that division.

You have to throw Casey Fossum into that mix, as well.