51 Million

BrandoFan

Eh more power to them, when Colon is broken down in a year or two.  4 years is just too high risk for a pitcher like him.

yea. so was that Clemons guy a few years back when he was a FA. good thing we didnt sign him. he sucked after a couple years.

Why do we need to worry about 2007? When have we ever had a 3 or 4 year run? I wouldn't mind losing 100 games in 2007 if it meant a WS appearance in 2004. We've been worrying about 3 or 4 years out for as long as I've been a fan. Just put a damn winner out now and screw 3 or 4 years from now.

Let me know when I sound like a broken record.

I remember sounding like ya'll 20 years ago, build this, build that and after 20 years how many WS appearances do we have? How many championship banners are hanging from the Cell? Does anybody really care if Reinsdork and CO. make money in 2004 not to mention 2006 if we have a WS parade down Michigan Avenue?

four years is fine for Colon, but 12.7 is pretty stupid if you ask me.

Maybe in the Angels case, since they are spending money and could use someone like Colon, but since we are content on keeping our payfoll at $60, Colon at $12 and Ordonez and $14?

The only bright side to this so far slow off-season is that after this season, the Sox will have $29 million cleared by losing Ordonez, Valentin, Koch and Loaiza. Who knows though, a struggling team this season will likely lead to low attendance and a then a situation where JR decided to lower the payroll once again, putting KW back in this same spot.

Angels have a new owner who is this year's version of Tom Hicks.

he's spending on pitching, not a shortstop, which is wise

But I think he overpaid for Escobar, who has never proven he can win big and he's taking a chance with Bartolo, who has the stuff to be a dominating Number One pitcher but has never been a Schilling, Clemens, Johnson or Pedro.

Plus, soon the Angels will have to pay Glaus, Garret Anderson and others.

The only bright side to this so far slow off-season is that after this season, the Sox will have $29 million cleared by losing Ordonez, Valentin, Koch and Loaiza.

Where the hell is Loaiza going? :huh:

This is what scares me - we keep reading about players that the Sox are making no effort to hold on to, players they are trading, but who are we getting/keeping besides Thomas and Buehrle? (I know there are a few others, but just using exaggeration to make a point.)

Angels have a new owner who is this year's version of Tom Hicks.

he's spending on pitching, not a shortstop, which is wise

But I think he overpaid for Escobar, who has never proven he can win big and he's taking a chance with Bartolo, who has the stuff to be a dominating Number One pitcher but has never been a Schilling, Clemens, Johnson or Pedro.

Plus, soon the Angels will have to pay Glaus, Garret Anderson and others.

Glaus is so gone, he is an absolute bum. All the potential, no desire to do the little things that would make him a great player. Instead he's a .245-.255 home run hitting, strike out machine.

Angels would dump him in a heart beat.

I should add that the Angels clear 20 mill next year simply by losing Appier and Sele's contracts (They are paying Appier 12.5 this year). I also think they have one of or two other kind of bust players coming off contracts so they will have a lot of financial flexibility next year, even after this signings.

yea. so was that Clemons guy a few years back when he was a FA. good thing we didnt sign him. he sucked after a couple years.

1. Don't ever mention one of the greatest pitchers of the last 15 years Clemens with one-pitch wonder Colon. At imilar point of their careers Clemens's career ERA was a whopping full point lower.

2. Clemens workethic is legendary and he was all muscle at 30. Colon is fat and apathetic as can get.

3. Colon's jerky, semi-across the body delivery alone should take his value down a couple of mill.

4. JR was right- as a Yankee, Clemens has an ERA OVER 4.00.

I am sorry, but when could the Sox afford an "ace" with that kind of numbers, making a fifth of the entire payroll? Clemens was never the same after turning 35 and leaving Toronto.

Where the hell is Loaiza going?  :huh:

This is what scares me - we keep reading about players that the Sox are making no effort to hold on to, players they are trading, but who are we getting/keeping besides Thomas and Buehrle?  (I know there are a few others, but just using exaggeration to make a point.)

YOu really think Loaiza will stay aftre next year......he is a FA then, and when he wins 18 again, HE GAWN

No way we re-sign him then.....

Those are his innings pitched for the last 3 years... He is destined for a breakdown in the next 4 years... We saw a period of about 4 starts where he had a "dead arm" ... I suspect he'll end up with a "dead arm" for an extended period at some point in the next 4 years....

I believe what coop said now about him saying he was going to retrun to the sox.. He was probably willing to come here for less money.... but not less money and less years... He just got a better offer..on the bright side he has a carrer 4.82 ERA against us...

All I know is that I've been reading all off season about KW is at fault for signing guys to "stupid" contracts.  Paying Colon what the Angels gave him qualifies as such in my opinion.

He can't with all of the "smart" people on here Yas.......

If he signs a guy to a big contract, it becomes a stupid deal a year down the road.... If he doesn't, then he isn't trying hard enough or JR isn't giving him enough cash to do so.

If he signs a guy to a big contract, it becomes a stupid deal a year down the road....  If he doesn't, then he isn't trying hard enough or JR isn't giving him enough cash to do so.

You said, directly, what I've been attempting to communicate with sarcasm. :D

If he signs a guy to a big contract, it becomes a stupid deal a year down the road....  If he doesn't, then he isn't trying hard enough or JR isn't giving him enough cash to do so.

1. Stupid idea. Given this team financial constraints, the vastly overrated Colon (do I really need to point out just how overrated he? I've done it a million times) was not worth 9 Mill let alone almost 13. We are already overpaying for Maggs, Konerko, Koch, Valentin and will no doubt overpay for Burhle.....So every dime we throw away from now on becomes even more critical to this team's survival in 2004.

2. Kenny was right to not give flash 3.6 Mill a year for 2 years all things considered. He was right to let Graffy go and not overpay as he did with Valentin. He was right not giving in Robbie's 2 year/7-8 Mill demands. Overrated Sullivan getting 3+ mill in arbitration would have been unacceptable. 7-8 Mill for Everett.....Need I go on?

I don't see how Sox fans are not being reasonable. We KNOW there is a budget, and we know that given KW's mistakes, he has VERY little margin of error to work with. One more signing like Konerko or Koch and you may as well forget about 2004.....and failure in 2004 probably means even LESS fans and resources in 2005. I knew this s*** was gonna happen back when were fell out of contention in 2001 and there is nothing that disproved me so far-- if our GM makes mistales and we don't win, we sink even further. Too much pressure on Kenny? Cry me a f***ing river.

I don't think anyone would b**** as much if Kenny were able to dump Koch and Konerko. Noone would say "he is not doing anything to help the team". Nor would they be saying anything bad if he would use the freed up cash to get Matt Morris from Cards or Ponson, CFe Cameron, 3b/1b Ventura and Soriano-like stud RH reliever.

1.  Stupid idea. Given this team financial constraints,  the vastly overrated Colon  (do I really need to point out just how overrated he?  I've done it a million times)  was not worth 9 Mill let alone almost 13.  We are already overpaying for Maggs, Konerko, Koch, Valentin and will no doubt overpay for Burhle.....So every dime we throw away from now on becomes even more critical to this team's survival in 2004.

2.  Kenny was right to not give flash 3.6 Mill a year for 2 years all things considered.    He was right to let Graffy go and not overpay as he did with Valentin. He was right not giving in Robbie's 2 year/7-8 Mill demands. Overrated Sullivan getting 3+ mill in arbitration would have been unacceptable.  7-8 Mill for Everett.....Need I go on?

I don't see how Sox fans are not being reasonable.  We KNOW there is a budget, and we know that given KW's mistakes, he has VERY little margin of error to work with.  One more signing like Konerko or Koch and you may as well forget about 2004.....and failure in 2004 probably means even LESS fans and resources in 2005.    I knew this s*** was gonna happen back when were fell out of contention in 2001 and there is nothing that disproved me so far-- if our GM makes mistales and we don't win, we sink even further. Too much pressure on Kenny?  Cry me a f***ing river. 

I don't think anyone would b**** as much if Kenny were able to dump Koch and Konerko. Noone would say "he is not doing anything to help the team". Nor would they be saying anything bad if he would use the freed up cash to get Matt Morris from Cards or Ponson, CFe Cameron, 3b/1b Ventura and Soriano-like stud RH reliever.

I agree with both points 1 and 2. Also, I don't believe Valentin will be with the Sox come opening day. I think his option was picked up because he is a tradable commodity.