More on Koch to the Mets....

YASNY

..... from the Sun-Times.

Another rumored deal had White Sox reliever Billy Koch headed to the New York Mets to be reunited with manager Art Howe. The White Sox would get highly touted pitcher Aaron Heilman, 25, in return. The right-hander from Notre Dame was 2-7 with a 6.75 ERA in 13 starts as a rookie last season.

Anyone know anything about Heilman?

I would be very happy gettin Heilman in exchange for Koch. It ain't Weathers, but then again it ain't Cedeno and that's what we should be thankful for. He's a small profile on him, he was their no. 2 rated prospect enterin the 2003 season behind Jose Reyes.

2. Aaron Heilman, RHP, Age: 24

The Mets spent their first-round pick in 2001 on Heilman, who hails from Notre Dame. He's a polished arm with a good body frame for pitching. In the minors, he's been impressive at almost every stop. This year, he didn't overwhelm at AAA-Norfolk, but he certainly didn't disappoint, either. He has good velocity and a deep repertoire, and he strikes guys out without compromising his command. He's struggled, mostly with his control, in the majors this season, but fits and starts are to be expected. Once he adjusts, he should settle in as a fine mid-rotation guy. ETA: Now.

I would be very happy gettin Heilman in exchange for Koch. It ain't Weathers, but then again it ain't Cedeno and that's what we should be thankful for. He's a small profile on him, he was their no. 2 rated prospect enterin the 2003 season behind Jose Reyes.

2. Aaron Heilman, RHP, Age: 24

The Mets spent their first-round pick in 2001 on Heilman, who hails from Notre Dame. He's a polished arm with a good body frame for pitching. In the minors, he's been impressive at almost every stop. This year, he didn't overwhelm at AAA-Norfolk, but he certainly didn't disappoint, either. He has good velocity and a deep repertoire, and he strikes guys out without compromising his command. He's struggled, mostly with his control, in the majors this season, but fits and starts are to be expected. Once he adjusts, he should settle in as a fine mid-rotation guy. ETA: Now.

Sounds good to me. Ok, Kenny, you have my approval. :D

Here's what John Sickels thought of him at the start of this year.

Heilman should be in the rotation mix for the Mets next spring; he has little left to prove in the minor leagues after a solid Double-A/Triple-A season. I see him as a durable inning-eater type pitcher, someone who'll post above-average numbers in most seasons, throw a lot of innings, but who won't win any Cy Young awards. A good solid pitcher in other words.

Here's the write-up on him from Baseball America. He was rated their #1 prospect last year by them.

1. Aaron Heilman, rhp

Age: 23. Ht.: 6-5. Wt.: 225. Bats: R. Throws: R. Drafted: Notre Dame, 2001 (1st round). Signed by: Joe Morlan.

Background: After turning down the Twins’ overtures as the 31st overall selection in the 2000 draft, Heilman returned to Notre Dame for his senior season and helped the Fighting Irish to their first-ever No. 1 ranking and the Big East Conference regular-season title by going 15-0, 1.74 with 12 complete games and three shutouts. He also completed his degree. Heilman signed six weeks after the Mets made him the 18th overall pick in June and lived up to his billing at Class A St. Lucie, posting a 3-1 strikeout-walk ratio while holding opponents to a .190 average. He would have ranked high on Baseball America’s Florida State League Top 10 Prospects list had he pitched enough innings to qualify.

Strengths: Heilman is a polished pitcher. Mature and focused, he works off his 91-94 mph fastball, which has incredible movement and bores in on righthanders. He also features a plus slider with excellent downward action, along with a decent changeup and splitter. His command is another positive, and he maintains control of all four of his offerings throughout the game with his improved stamina. Scouts love his 6-foot-5, 225-pound frame and his feisty approach with runners in scoring position. His three-quarters delivery is easy and fluid, reducing the stress on his arm, a key trait for a pitcher who will be counted upon to eat innings at higher levels. Heilman has all the makings of a potential workhorse who could be a solid No. 2 or No. 3 starter in the New York rotation.

Weaknesses: Despite his maturity, Heilman has just seven starts and less than 40 professional innings. His secondary offerings, particularly his changeup, need more consistency. Most scouts don’t believe his fastball will add any more velocity, so his 83-84 mph splitter must stay consistent in order for him to get experienced lefthanders out. He made strides with the pitch in college last spring.

The Future: Heilman is ready to jump on the fast track to the big leagues. His desire to learn and improve impressed the Mets at St. Lucie and during instructional league. He’s slated to open 2002 at Double-A Binghamton and could be a candidate for the New York rotation as soon as 2003.

Why would they rather give us a good prospect for Koch then David Weathers. I mean with David Weathers the Sox would be eating some of Koch's contract at least.

Maybe it was rejected cause they want both Weathers and Koch. I'd be incredibly happy if the Sox made this deal.

He has good velocity and a deep repertoire, and he strikes guys out without compromising his command. He's struggled, mostly with his control, in the majors this season,

Isn't this statment a contradiction. How can you strike out guys without compromising your command and then also strugle with your control.

I thought the Mets couldn't take on Koch's salary. This doesn't make sense to me unless the Sox end up paying half of Koch's salary. I'd love it if the Sox could unload Koch's whole salary and still get a top starting pitching prospect. Sox could have used Weathers, but with ex-Koch's money, they could solidify their offer to Rhodes and get another free agent.

?Williamson

Marte

Rhodes

Wunch

?Wright

and one of the kids. Diaz/Rauch/Ginter/Munoz

Looks much better.

In 13 starts, Heilman had a 2-7 record, a 6.75 ERA with 51 k's and 41 BB's for New York this year. The #'s aren't great, but he's still young, so I'm not worried. I mean, Cotts didn't pitch very well at all for us, but I (and most everyone else) think that he's still gonna be a very good pitcher.

......I just don't understand some people. Now you wanna trade Koch for a kid that has proven NOTHING at the MLB level. Yes, it has been said over and over. Koch sucked last year, plain and simple. But in NO way do I wanna give him up after 1 freakin year for Aaron Heilman!!! Koch's salary will be off the books after 2004, if he sucks again, good riddance Billy. If he bounces back, we have what we need as a closer, and Marte can do his job as the setup man. Good Lord I just don't understand...if any player has 1 bad season with the Sox, it seems like everyone on here is ready to ship them to Toledo for a bag of Big League Chew.

With this crowd, its ALWAYS what have you done for me lately, and that kinda irks me.