DEAL LIKELY: New York Daily News (WITH LINK)

bo_chi_sox

Hey guys. i was surprised when I read this but it looks like the deal could be real close to being done. Gammons even says the union has accepted the new offer. Real interesting it says A-rod will stay in Boston til monday in hopes of it being officially done by then. Heres the link

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/147918p-130540c.html

i hope ur right . The main reason is because I REALLY love williamson i was kind of hearth-broken when we got him and not sully last year at the deadline. Nomar and Mags are about the same and nomar plays short so he might have more value then u get a reliever like williamson. GOT TO TAKE IT KW.

If the trade happens and we wind up with Nomar, the notion that we would keep Nomar has to be smoke KW was blowing, right? IMO, there is no economic sense in keeping an 11 or 12 million dollar player, just as there was no sense in keeping Magglio. Not to mention the pitching help we'll get, which we desperately need.

Guest Hex Rudler

I'm always the eternal optimist at this time of year, and I can't help thinking that the Sox might have a chance next year WITH Maggs. He's likely to have a great year in 2004, and I would like it to be with us. If we are out of it in July, we can trade him for a bunch of prospects.

It would be a terrible trade if we keep nomar and I can't believe williams doesn't have a deal to trade him ALREADY LOCKED UP. Now, KW has put himself in a fix - teams KNOW he wants to trade nomar or jose, so we will get less.

Further, Maggs is a much better hitter than Nomar - this reminds me of the foulke-koch deal in that sense - to save a few bucks, kenny takes an inferior player.

This notion that nomar plays a position in which it is harder to find hitters is irrelevant. Simply compare the production of Maggs, to the production of the new right fielder - then compare nomar to the new shorstop. It's doubtful that we've improved.

It would be a terrible trade if we keep nomar and I can't believe williams doesn't have a deal to trade him ALREADY LOCKED UP.  Now, KW has put himself in a fix - teams KNOW he wants to trade nomar or jose, so we will get less.

Further,  Maggs is a much better hitter than Nomar - this reminds me of the foulke-koch deal in that sense - to save a few bucks, kenny takes an inferior player.

This notion that nomar plays a position in which it is harder to find hitters is irrelevant.  Simply compare the production of Maggs, to the production of the new right fielder - then compare nomar to the new shorstop.  It's doubtful that we've improved.

Magglio is a better hitter than Nomar, but its easier to find production at a corner outfield spot than shortstop. The Sox would also be getting Williamson in this deal, and he is a pretty good pitcher. If they send Nomar away for some good arms that's fine, but unless they are going to hold Danny Evans up, I'd just assume keep Nomar. I still think Valentin for Garcia is viable. Garcia signed for what he got paid this last season. I don't believe the White Sox ever thought he would take a paycut.

Magglio is a better hitter than Nomar, but its easier to find production at a corner outfield spot than shortstop. The Sox would also be getting Williamson in this deal, and he is a pretty good pitcher. If they send Nomar away for some good arms that's fine, but unless they are going to hold Danny Evans up, I'd just assume keep Nomar. I still think Valentin for Garcia is viable. Garcia signed for what he got paid this last season. I don't believe the White Sox ever thought he would take a paycut.

Who do you have in mind to produce in right field.

Like I said - take Nomar + the new right fielder; compare it to maggs and valentin (whom I assume we will ship).

I think it will take someone with 3/4 of maggs' production to BREAK EVEN on that swap - who does kenny have in mind? Juan Gonzales? That guy is crashing faster than the 1929 market.

You don't take risks when the best case is to break even - that's what kenny williams is doing.

As for sullivan, you don't take risks on all star players to get a middle reliever.

So really, what is the point of this deal? To please gammons?

Kenny says he will try to resign him - didn't he reject 15 million? How do you expect to resign him? Hope he has a lousy year and the price comes down? Is he worth $10 million much less $15 million? Not in my opinion

It makes NO sense to keep Nomar...the Sox aren't gonna be serious contenders in 2004, with or without Nomar.

Then, he'll leave after the 04 season anyway...we gotta trade him for youth (that we can keep around for awhile).

Pay attention to "Steve Bartman's my idol"...this cat knows his baseball!!!

:fthecubs

Juan Gonzales? That guy is crashing faster than the 1929 market

Haven't we been over this already? He is over the thumb problem that ruined 2002 and can still drive in runs. I wouldn't mind him as a #5 hitter if the price is right. Hopefuly his legs hold up.

Haven't we been over this already? He is over the thumb problem that ruined 2002 and can still drive in runs. I wouldn't mind him as a #5 hitter if the price is right.  Hopefuly his legs hold up.

what ruined him in 2001?

How do you know he is over his injury or that he will produce with no injury?

His obps have been horrid the last 2 years

the question remains - how does this deal make us a better team?

Well, I think that KW has a deal in place with Vlad Guerrero to sign for somewhere around 10 mil per year. He's going to spin Nomar to LA for Perez and prospects, stick Vlad in at right, Perez in the three spot in the rotation and the Sox will finally get that World Series title next year. Well, I better get back to my half-empty bottle of vodka and beer-can-bong.

what ruined him in 2001?

Nothing; he drove in 140 runs.

How do you know he is over his injury or that he will produce with no injury
?

Because the thump that ruined 2002 was not the injury he suffered in 2003 after he drove in 70 in 320 atbats. Nobody likes nagging injuries but be thankful that he doesn't have Vladdy's disc or Nomar's wrist......

Why? You're forgetting you're talking about one of the MOST prolific run-producers of his generation here, an absolutely deadly hitter when healthy. If he was 37-38, I might understand, but at relatively young 34, he has another couple of years left in the tank.

His obps have been horrid the last 2 years

Again, he is simply NOT the OBP kinda guy. As I told Rex, lay off the Beane pipe.

Nothing; he drove in 140 runs.

?

Because the thump that ruined 2002 was not the injury he suffered in 2003 after he drove in 70 in 320 atbats.   Nobody likes nagging injuries but be thankful that he doesn't have Vladdy's disc or Nomar's wrist......

Why?  You're forgetting you're talking about one of the MOST prolific run-producers of his generation here, an absolutely deadly hitter when healthy.  If he was 37-38, I might understand, but at relatively young 34, he has another couple of years left in the tank.

Again, he is simply NOT the OBP kinda guy.   As I told Rex, lay off the Beane pipe.

Sorry, got the year wrong.

IN 3 (edited) of the last 4 years, he has driven in 70 runs or less. Maybe it's all injuries - but he wouldn't be the first player to see his skills decline in his early 30s. It's a gamble - and again, FOR WHAT PURPOSE?

How are the Sox better for this deal?

Not the RedSox, not Gammons, not Epstein, not Selig, not A Rod -----> but the White Sox.

My gut tells me MLB is sticking its fingers into this and applying pressure as they want what many consider the game's best player in the big eastern market.

How are the Sox better for this deal?

One Gonzalez is a name. Maggs was a semi-name.

JG is a HOF talent even if on decline. Maggs is an All-Star talent also over 30.

Gonzo can be had for 5 Mill + insentives; Maggs is at 14 Mil

With Magglio on payroll, this team is grasping for air financially. It's extremely sad but true.

With Magglio on payroll, this team is grasping for air financially. It's extremely sad but true.

And with Nomar on the payroll at 12 million we aren't gasping for air?

I have no problem trading maggs - but for Nomar? For what purpose?????

Don't you find it odd, that the Sox are never discussed in the incessant A-Rod discussion - without us taking Nomar, the Bosox don't take A-Rod. It's like, our part of the deal is a given and that makes me feel uneasy

Oh, and Juan G is not a hall of fame player - no way, no how

I have no problem trading maggs - but for Nomar? For what purpose?????

Don't you find it odd, that the Sox are never discussed in the incessant A-Rod discussion - without us taking Nomar, the Bosox don't take A-Rod. It's like, our part of the deal is a given and that makes me feel uneasy

Im with Brando on this. He is definately hall material, especially if he reaches 500 HRs. Nomar for pitching would help if it was bonafide good pitching. Minor league pitching is not what I consider bonafide. I also dont consider Perez a bonafide good pitcher. He was mediocre at best in the NL, he would get killed in the AL. I dont see the purpose of that trade at all. Nomar is the 2nd best SS in the game. Only ARod is better. It would be great to have that. Who knows what will happen after this season. Maybe we find away to resign him. I dont like the Nomar for Perez and prospects deal at all. I hate getting pitching prospects. Montreal supposedly received all of Boston's best pitching prospects for Pedro. Carl Pavano was supposed to be the next great one. Well he isnt all that great is he? Screw pitching prospects, I want nothing to do with them.

Since 1992 (when healthy and away from Comerica/Detroit) he's been one of the best run producers in the game. Scary RO player. HOF "talent" for sure even if he might not amass the numbers due to healthy problems and less-than-commited attitude.

At barely 34, he might have as many as 5 good years left in him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he reaches 600 homers before his career is finished. How many hitters with 575-600+ homers/1700+ RBI aren't in the Hall again?

I was surprised to find out that he absolutely SMOKED RHPs in 2003 and had some difficulty with LHP and not the other way around, the batspeed and plate coverage are still there. If he corrects that little Carlos Lee-sque glitch, watch out-- 130+ RBI time.

I have no problem trading maggs - but for Nomar?  For what purpose?????

Don't you find it odd, that the Sox are never discussed in the incessant A-Rod discussion - without us taking Nomar, the Bosox don't take A-Rod.  It's like, our part of the deal is a given and that makes me feel uneasy

Juan is not?? :o

Juan when healthy is one of most dangerous hitters in the game. Health only has been an Issue lately.

Juan will make the hall. Even more when he reaches 500 dingers.

I honestly believe that KWs plan all along is to trade Nomar if/when he is acquired, and keep Williamson. Of course hes gonna say "We plan on keeping Nomar if we are able to acquire him." What better way to get Dan Evans to start thinking like a desperate GM? KW puts Evans in a major bind if he acquires Nomar, and then acts as if we are gonna keep him. That way, Evans breaks down and says "OK. Take Perez, Mota and Jackson. I need that marquee name here in LA." Its a mighty fierce game of Poker KW is playing, we are lucky hes not doing it against Beane or the like!!