Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
Kobayashi will not be at the hot dog eating contest on July 4th.

:crying :crying :crying

AKA he's afraid of that guy that broke his record a couple weeks ago. What a pity, I hope I'm wrong and there is a better reason for it.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 12:50 PM)
Kobayashi will not be at the hot dog eating contest on July 4th.

:crying :crying :crying

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
AKA he's afraid of that guy that broke his record a couple weeks ago. What a pity, I hope I'm wrong and there is a better reason for it.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/30/...fourth-of-july/

He'll be there after all. :usa

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 10, 2007 -> 04:57 PM)
Is it bad that I probably watch more NBA Summer League than the actual NBA?

Well, I know I don't really watch Summer League (just read the box scores), but no, nothing wrong with that. It seems like those guys give 110% all the time b/c they're trying their hardest to make it to the NBA.

Not sure this deserves its' own thread but I thought it was strange enough to be noteworthy....

Tuesday, the Birmingham Public Schools Athletic Board voted to vacate all high school and middle school coaching positions for the upcoming school year. All coaches were sent a letter letting them know they were being "non-renewed" and would be eligible to reapply for their positions, yet the letter did not give instructions on how to do so.

This seems to be a veiled attempt to raise the quality level of their coaches and re-emphasize athletic success. It sure as hell seems to me that this would have the opposite effect. Rather than deal with "ineffective" coaches individually, they essentially fired all coaches in all sports. How much freakin sense does that make?

Granted the athletic programs in Birmingham's public schools are not strong right now. Of course, much of that is due to the screwed up school system as a whole. No one I know that has kids or will want to have kids will buy houses even in some nice areas if they are zoned for Birmingham city schools. The stronger programs are in the suburbs where the tax revenue and money is. Still, to make the women's basketball coach at Ramsey HS reapply for her job after winning 4 consecutive state championships seems ludicrous. What does this do to the football programs (again, most suck) for the season where practice begins in a few weeks?

I've never heard of any such thing in any area where I have lived. Anyone else see this before? Any thoughts?

Coaching Jobs Vacated Across Board