New White/Red Sox Trade Rumor

southpaw40

Well, Otis who reported the rumor reported the A-Rod/Nomar/Maggs deal way before that came to surface, so I think that there is at least some talking going on.

I'd take the trade; you can then do one of a couple options

a.) trade Nomar right away for pitching.

b.) sign Nomar long term.

c.) trade Nomar midseason.

Either way, this trade would work out for the Sox. Otis has also said that Epstein/Boston would have a hard time giving up Nixon, and that Damon could be in the works, instead of Trot. I'd throw Rauch in the trade for Boston, he's had his time and hasn't come through.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know guys....this trade doesnt make sense from the bosox end of the deal...nomar and nixon straight up for maggs and jose is a bad deal for boston..but then they are gonna throw in williamson and a high level prospect while we send back a mid level prospect???

if im boston's GM id what maggs , jose and marte for nomar and nixon...maybe more

i dont know guys....this trade doesnt make sense from the bosox end of the deal...nomar and nixon straight up for maggs and jose is a bad deal for boston..but then they are gonna throw in williamson and a high level prospect while we send back a mid level prospect???

if im boston's GM id what maggs , jose and marte for nomar and nixon...maybe more

Supposedly, the initial post was wrong and it would be the White Sox sending a high level prospect (if the Sox could get Nomar to sign an extension or a mid-level prospect if not) and the Red Sox would send a mid-to-low level prospect.

I think I smell something. Wait, I got it: bulls***!

Nomar, Nixon, Williamson and a prospect for Maggs, Valentin and a prospect? Epstein would gte shafted.

I think I smell something. Wait, I got it: bulls***!

Nomar, Nixon, Williamson and a prospect for Maggs, Valentin and a prospect? Epstein would gte shafted.

Let me tell you what I think is sooooo dumb: for someone to assume what everyone wants to see posted!

It was mentioned that the post was merely a FYI and for discussion purposes, and I don't believe I know the things which "are for the boards sake" and those which aren't.  Please enlighten me.

Close to being true or not, it's an interesting scenario, one which was brought to our attention by someone who in the past has seemed to know what he was talking about.

"It's a free country, do as you please", but you've been given pretty sound adivce: ;) if it bothers you, don't read it! ;)

And Who in the Blue Hell asked You?? It was a comment cause anything that's posted at WSI is mostly Bulls***, Now I say.. If you don't like my post then SCROLL BY!!! :bang :bang :bang :bang

And Who in the Bule Hell asked You?? It was a comment cause anything that's posted at WSI is mostly Bulls***, Now I say.. If you don't like my post then SCROLL BY!!! :bang  :bang  :bang  :bang

It really depends on the poster, not the reliability of the board. Otis himself has a reputation of being correct, let's hope he is again. I'm not going to not believe Otis just because he tells it to the WSI guys and not ours.

Well, Otis who reported the rumor reported the A-Rod/Nomar/Maggs deal way before that came to surface, so I think that there is at least some talking going on.

I'd take the trade; you can then do one of a couple options

a.) trade Nomar right away for pitching.

b.) sign Nomar long term.

c.) trade Nomar midseason.

Either way, this trade would work out for the Sox.  Otis has also said that Epstein/Boston would have a hard time giving up Nixon, and that Damon could be in the works, instead of Trot.  I'd throw Rauch in the trade for Boston, he's had his time and hasn't come through.

Only a) makes sense- and that only if it is worked out prior to trading for him.

Re B) How can we, at $55 mill, afford a long term contract on a player making$10Mil+? It removes all flexibility. If we are going to do that, why not sign Maggs long-term?

Re c) it's obvious that mid-season trades don't provide the yield that they once did- you might get 1 prospect. Work this out now- don't put ourselves under the gun for later.

Some obp players would do wonders for the Sox O. We have sufficient power.

Oh, and at this point I would trade Reed for any number of young pitchers who have proven themselves over two or more seasons because:

1) Who knows if Reed will pan out? It looks as if he will, but there are no givens in baseball.

2) A consistent, young top of the rotation pitcher is harder to find than a young outfielder who hits for average. Especially since the Sox have Anderson and Sweeney (their two top picks of the last draft) both in the outfield.

As far as Reed panning out goes, hard to say! He sounds great on paper, but remember that Borchard got a $5 mil dollar signing bonus. Still waiting on him for his power at both sides of the plate, speed, and consistency! Still waiting on Rauch as well! He was supposed to be the next Randy Johnson. If Reed goes, there is another guy waiting in the wings that is supposed to be phenomenal in every aspect of the game. I know a guy who is a friend of him and said to me to "Watch out for this guy!" Anyone hear of a guy named Mike Spillednick? Prounced spill--ed---nick). I'm kind of back and forth on this, but I feel if it will help in strengthening our rotation, would it be worth the gamble to trade Reed? We seem to have a history of counting on "Prospects." I'd rather have confidence in "Proven Ability." Besides, I don't see Shoenweis as being a real threat, and those of you who know me know how I feel about Danny Wright!

Those cases are different. The only thing Rauch was going to be the same, as far as Randy Johnson, was his height. He doesn't have the 97-100 fastball nasty slider johnson has. Rauch is just comming off of rotator cuff surgery. He still hasn't fully recovered from it yet. I was never really big fans of Rauch or Borchard anywayz. As far as Borchard goes, yes, he was raved because of his power, but he his strikeout rate has always been high, and he hasn't hit for average in two seasons now. Reed is the only prospect to have an amazing average, good speed, great strikeout/walk ratio, and average power all put in one. He is different from both of those other guys, and has a better future. He is also younger than both Rauch and Borchard. Unless a serious injury came of Reed, I can see him in the bigs this season.(if he stays consistant) But he, Honel and others are the future of this team. I expect good numbers from both next year. :headbang

As far as Reed panning out goes, hard to say! He sounds great on paper, but remember that Borchard got a $5 mil dollar signing bonus. Still waiting on him for his power at both sides of the plate, speed, and consistency! Still waiting on Rauch  as well! He was supposed to be the next Randy Johnson. If Reed goes, there is another guy waiting in the wings that is supposed to be phenomenal in every aspect of the game. I know a guy who is a friend of him and said to me to "Watch out for this guy!" Anyone hear of a guy named Mike Spillednick? Prounced  spill--ed---nick). I'm kind of back and forth on this, but I feel if it will help in strengthening our rotation, would it be worth the gamble to trade Reed? We seem to have a history of counting on "Prospects." I'd rather have confidence in "Proven Ability." Besides, I don't see Shoenweis as being a real threat, and those of you who know me know how I feel about Danny Wright!

Did I misunderstand something? Who is Mike Spillednick? The Sox have no one by that name in their system.

Are you confusing him with Scott Posednick of the Brewers? Or Michael Spidale, a Sox Minor League outfielder?

As far as Reed panning out goes, hard to say! He sounds great on paper, but remember that Borchard got a $5 mil dollar signing bonus. Still waiting on him for his power at both sides of the plate, speed, and consistency! Still waiting on Rauch  as well! He was supposed to be the next Randy Johnson. If Reed goes, there is another guy waiting in the wings that is supposed to be phenomenal in every aspect of the game. I know a guy who is a friend of him and said to me to "Watch out for this guy!" Anyone hear of a guy named Mike Spillednick? Prounced  spill--ed---nick). I'm kind of back and forth on this, but I feel if it will help in strengthening our rotation, would it be worth the gamble to trade Reed? We seem to have a history of counting on "Prospects." I'd rather have confidence in "Proven Ability." Besides, I don't see Shoenweis as being a real threat, and those of you who know me know how I feel about Danny Wright!

Those cases are different. The only thing Rauch was going to be the same, as far as Randy Johnson, was his height. He doesn't have the 97-100 fastball nasty slider johnson has. Rauch is just comming off of rotator cuff surgery. He still hasn't fully recovered from it yet. I was never really big fans of Rauch or Borchard anywayz. As far as Borchard goes, yes, he was raved because of his power, but he his strikeout rate has always been high, and he hasn't hit for average in two seasons now. Reed is the only prospect to have an amazing average, good speed, great strikeout/walk ratio, and average power all put in one. He is different from both of those other guys, and has a better future. He is also younger than both Rauch and Borchard. Unless a serious injury came of Reed, I can see him in the bigs this season.(if he stays consistant) But he, Honel and others are the future of this team. I expect good numbers from both next year. :headbang

After reading through a couple of threads on this deal, I have mixed feelings on it. Nomar & Williamson for Maggs & Jose seems to be the base of this deal with other players thrown around until the right match is made. It seems if we get Nixon, the BoSox want Borchard. As much as I hate to, I'd pull the trigger on this one. Nixon is exactly what we need in our line up and JoeB may never work out. Then again, he may eventually put up some Mantle-esque numbers.

Any deal involving Cotts or Rauch for Damon or Kim I'm thumbs down on. Damon's best years are behind him and Kim just doesn't impress me.

I don't know what Nixon's contract status is, but he would be the key to the deal for me. We'd be losing some offense in the Maggs vs. Nomar comparison, but gaining in Jose vs. Nixon. Still, we'd be gaining Jose LH bat and gaining Nixon's, so we would still need another good LH hitter, imho.

Did I misunderstand something?  Who is Mike Spillednick?  The Sox have no one by that name in their system.

Are you confusing him with Scott Posednick of the Brewers?  Or Michael Spidale, a Sox Minor League outfielder?

Thanks!I checked back with my source! Sorry for the confusion! It is "Spidale!!"

Don't know much about him except what this guy told me! Not sure even what level he's in! Is this guy really "That good" as I've been told?

Thanks!I checked back with my source! Sorry for the confusion! It is "Spidale!!"

Don't know much about him except what this guy told me! Not sure even what level he's in! Is this guy really "That good" as I've been told?

Mike Spidale is a very speedy CF. He was signed out of HS (a Chicagoan at that) in 2000. He was solid in rookie league hitting .318 in 2000. He then spent 2001 and 2002 at Kannapolis, struggling in 2001 but bouncing back to hit .292 the second year, but missed a good month of the season with an injury.

He was solid again in 2003 at Winston-Salem, but really struggled down the stretch. His average was hovering around .300 most of the year and fell all the way to .262. He has stolen getween 25-35 bases each year and walks at a very good rate. Until the 2003 season, he had also been caught stealing at a hight rate.

If he can learn to hit at higher levels he has a chance to be a nice player. He has next to no power but he is solid defensively from what I am told. Having spent three full seasons in Class A after one in Rookie ball, he will need to have a good year this year in AA or he will be no more than another Chad Durham.

Not that it is worth anything, but his uncle works for the White Sox in the front office.

It really depends on the poster, not the reliability of the board. Otis himself has a reputation of being correct, let's hope he is again. I'm not going to not believe Otis just because he tells it to the WSI guys and not ours.

Apparently he posted the first Nomar/Maggs deal here, and you guys gave him a bunch of s***. I suppose that could be why he only posted it at WSI this time.

Mike Spidale is a very speedy CF.  He was signed out of HS (a Chicagoan at that) in 2000.  He was solid in rookie league hitting .318 in 2000.  He then spent 2001 and 2002 at Kannapolis, struggling in 2001 but bouncing back to hit .292 the second year, but missed a good month of the season with an injury.

He was solid again in 2003 at Winston-Salem, but really struggled down the stretch.  His average was hovering around .300 most of the year and fell all the way to .262.  He has stolen getween 25-35 bases each year and walks at a very good rate.  Until the 2003 season, he had also been caught stealing at a hight rate.

If he can learn to hit at higher levels he has a chance to be a nice player.  He has next to no power but he is solid defensively from what I am told.  Having spent three full seasons in Class A after one in Rookie ball, he will need to have a good year this year in AA or he will be no more than another Chad Durham.

Not that it is worth anything, but his uncle works for the White Sox in the front office.

Thanks for the info, and for getting back to me! I got on this sight because I've been a Sox fan for 40+ years, have played "A LOT" of baseball, and enjoy talking baseball. This should be a sight to pass along info as well as agree and disagree on issues. Unfortunately, I see things get pretty heated up between others at times.

I'm rather new on this, and enjoy it! It SOULD remain enjoyable! Not an all-out bash-one-another Slug-fest!

Thanks for the info, and for getting back to me! I got on this sight because I've been a Sox fan for 40+ years, have played "A LOT" of baseball, and enjoy talking baseball. This should be a sight to pass along info as well as agree and disagree on issues. Unfortunately, I see things get pretty heated up between others at times.

I'm rather new on this, and enjoy it! It SOULD remain enjoyable! Not an all-out bash-one-another Slug-fest!

Sometimes the fighting/arguing/b****ing gets out of hand......... Sometimes is it part of the fun. :D