Aaron Boone out for the year

southsideirish

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Yankees third baseman Aaron Boone injured his left knee playing basketball and might miss the season.

Boone

Boone was hurt about a week ago and may have torn an anterior cruciate ligament. The extent of the injury will not be known until swelling subsides, and he has not yet been examined by Yankees' doctors.

Boone agreed Dec. 1 to a $5.75 million, one-year contract, and the contract contained language saying it would become nonguaranteed if he played basketball.

"Concerning his contract, I can confirm that there are certain prohibited activities, which include basketball," Cashman said.

If there is a complete tear, he would require reconstructive surgery that could keep him until 2005.

"We are currently evaluating the extent of the injury and expect to solicit multiple opinions before providing a complete diagnosis," general manager Brian Cashman said Monday.

The Yankees do not have a backup third baseman with full-time experience. Enrique Wilson and newly signed Miguel Cairo are options to fill the spot.

New York acquired Boone, who will turn 31 in March, from Cincinnati on July 31, and his 11th-inning homer off Boston's Tim Wakefield in Game 7 of the AL Championship Series won the pennant for the Yankees.

Boone is eligible for free agency after next season, and if the Yankees successfully converted the deal to a nonguaranteed contract, they could release him and be responsible for only 30 days' termination pay, about $942,000.

Minor leaguer Drew Henson was hoped to be an option at third this season, but he's struggled mightily in the Yankees' farm system and the trade for Boone signaled that New York did not think Henson would be ready for 2004.

The Yankees and Henson's representatives recently have had talks toward severing his ties with the team.

Henson, the former University of Michigan quarterback, agreed to a $17 million, six-year contract with the Yankees in 2001. He hit .234 with 14 homers, 40 doubles and 78 RBI at Triple-A Columbus this season. But he also struck out 122 times and made 28 errors at third.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report

So who plays third for the Yanks? Anyone out there they can trade for or any FA available that they can sign? This is a huge hole. Wilson, Cairo, and Henson don't seem like good canidates. Is that the best they can do? Sucks for Boone though.

Henson is going to be used as trade bait... I see Miami (dolphins) in his future.... Either that or he's going to be re-drafted, going somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round

I believe he was drafted in last yr's draft, 6th round to the Texans if I'm correct.

Lets just hope our players stay off the hardwood until spring training... Its such a violent sport, i hope i dont tear an ACL tomorrow at the Y playing ball.... in fact, how the hell do you tear an ACL playing basketball. I've played my whole life and my only semi serious injuries might have either been a ball to the face or a twisted ankle, which i played thru anyway..

Anyone else ever got seriously hurt playing b-ball?

well, my point was that i've never got hurt playing basketball, and looking around, how many ACL injuries occur in the NBA... NFL there is a bunch more, but since its a hell of lot more contact, i can see why... no reason to be an ass about it.

You are right, you don't hear it much from the NBA. I did see it a lot in h.s and college. I have also seen it much more in pick up games. There are a lot of basketball careers that are ruined by torn ACLs.

well, my point was that i've never got hurt playing basketball, and looking around, how many ACL injuries occur in the NBA... NFL there is a bunch more, but since its a hell of lot more contact, i can see why... no reason to be an ass about it.

Don't sweat it, that's just Brando's nature... :D

Lets just hope our players stay off the hardwood until spring training...  Its such a violent sport, i hope i dont tear an ACL tomorrow at the Y playing ball.... in fact, how the hell do you tear an ACL playing basketball.  I've played my whole life and my only semi serious injuries might have either been a ball to the face or a twisted ankle, which i played thru anyway..

I did. Busted my Knee in 1993 the day the Sox started the Playoffs against Toronto. And in 1997 I broke my hand and Finger that needed Surgery ;)

I played football, basketball, and baseball all through high school injury free.

I went on to play baseball in college, and in the winter of my junior year I broke my leg playing a pick up game of basketball. No injuries in football or a ton of baseball, yet I break my leg playing freakin basketball.

It was painful.

You are right, you don't hear it much from the NBA. I did see it a lot in h.s and college. I have also seen it much more in pick up games. There are a lot of basketball careers that are ruined by torn ACLs.

Well now.......since elCaballo kindly explained to us that it's almost impossible to blow out one's ACL stop-n-going, colliding and jumping on hardwood floor for 2 hours straight playing b-ball....all those instances you cited were in fact Judas Priest-induced mass self-mutilations.

Crazy kids and their drugs. :headshake

I played football, basketball, and baseball all through high school injury free.

I went on to play baseball in college, and in the winter of my junior year I broke my leg playing a pick up game of basketball.  No injuries in football or a ton of baseball, yet I break my leg playing freakin basketball.

It was painful.

What College ya play for?

Well now.......since elCaballo kindly explained to us that it's almost impossible to blow out one's ACL stop-n-going, colliding and jumping on hardwood floor for 2 hours straight playing b-ball....all those instances you cited were in fact Judas Priest-induced mass self-mutilations.

Crazy kids and their drugs.

:o

i broke my ankle playing pick up basketball...went up for a rebound and came down on the side of a guys foot...that hurt so bad i hought i was gonna throw up...out for 3 months

well if boone misses the season he can always go back to san diego where he used get all his roids from and come back next year looking like sham-me ;)

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Yankees third baseman Aaron Boone injured his left knee playing basketball and might miss the season.

Boone agreed Dec. 1 to a $5.75 million, one-year contract, and the contract contained language saying it would become nonguaranteed if he played basketball.

"Concerning his contract, I can confirm that there are certain prohibited activities, which include basketball," Cashman said.

Interesting. His contract forbids playing basketball, but he just goes ahead and does it anyways. Just like a certain basketball player was forbiden from riding motorcycles, but did it anyways.

What is it with these pro athletes? Don't they know that don't do it means don't do it?

Or is it that all they see in their contracts is the $$$ and just ignore the rest?