Uh Ohhhhhhhh.....

The Critic

TO: JimH

Thanks for your info on the SoxFest. I agre with you on what you have to say about civility in these settings. Everybody has their take on things and as we know their opinions, which are like elbows, everybody has two of them!

I do like the fact we are keeping Jose valentin though and that's my opinion.

If I were in Chicago I would be there too and I am glad you are giving us a very balanced view and report.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's great the front office got pieces of our minds. did anybody ask kw about starting pitching? he said pitching is his main concern so from not signing anybody, who will start for us?

1. Buehrle

1a. Loaiza

3. Garland

4. Schoenwies

5. Take your pick from: Cotts, Rauch, Pacheco, Wright, Diaz, Person

TO: JimH

Thanks for your info on the SoxFest. I agre with you on what you have to say about civility in these settings. Everybody has their take on things and as we know their opinions, which are like elbows, everybody has two of them!

I do like the fact we are keeping Jose valentin though and that's my opinion.

If I were in Chicago I would be there too and I am glad you are giving us a very balanced view and report.

Love the elbows line!! :lol:

Made my day, it will now be part of my witty arsenal, ha ha :D

Why would you expect anything different?  Do you a guy in his position who came from Stanford is not going to have answers?

Whether someone likes KW's answers or not or believes they are truthful, there is no way a fan with limited knowledge of everything that goes on (that is all of us) can win a debate with KW in a forum like that.  It would be like going to battle with BB guns when your opponent has semi-automatic machine guns.

Tha's a great point. At least KW knows Soxfest isn't going to be a lovefest, and people can be proud they ruffled his feathers a little bit. It will be interesting to see if the panel and format remain the same for the seminars today and tomorrow. The fact that the fans are pissed is getting play in every paper, I wouldn't be surprised if it has inspired some more people to dog KW even more. I bet television crews will try to cover the next 2 seminars.

I don't understand why the Sox would have three- 45 minute interview sessions. One would be sufficient in answering all of the fans questions. What will end up happening today (and tomorrow) is fans will become bold and ask idiotic questions:

"Kenny Williams.....you are a GM known for making terrible moves including Koch for Foulke and Todd Richie. Why don't you just resign?"

Or...

"Kenny, YOU SUCK!."

After the media attention recieved from yesterdays Q/A its possible.

I have no problem at all with Sox fans expressing their feelings, that it had to be expressed to KW instead of JR maybe unfortunate but then that's why he makes the big bucks.

Rex, the question isn't whether KW has more insider info than us. That's obvious. The question is how was he answering questions, was it a condesending "you don't know s***" response or an informative "here's how it works". If it was the former then that's F'n bulls***. I wasn't there so I can't say which it was.

The question is how was he answering questions, was it a condesending "you don't know s***" response or an informative "here's how it works". If it was the former then that's F'n bulls***. I wasn't there so I can't say which it was.

Upnorth ... it was the latter. His responses were almost of an educational nature, i.e., just like you said, "ok folks, here's how it works".

I thought the guys on the panel handled things pretty well, given the crowds volatility.

I don't understand why the Sox would have three- 45 minute interview sessions.  One would be sufficient in answering all of the fans questions.  What will end up happening today (and tomorrow) is fans will become bold and ask idiotic questions:

"Kenny Williams.....you are a GM known for making terrible moves including Koch for Foulke and Todd Richie.  Why don't you just resign?" 

Or...

"Kenny, YOU SUCK!."

After the media attention recieved from yesterdays Q/A its possible.

There is a seminar everyday, because most people just go one day , and so they don't miss out. Usually, the seminar questions and answers don't make it to the papers. I think you're right, because of what was reported, these next couple seminars could really get out of hand.

JimH and Rex, you two are dead on right.

I think this whole fan up rising thing is pretty stupid myself....

I don't have a problem with fans expressing their views at all. I just think it is naive for someone to think that they have a point to make that will make KW look stupid or will outwit him.

Being involved everyday, I have no doubt KW has an answer for every criticism the Sox fans can throw out there. Being heard is okay. Expecting to win a debate is not realistic.

That was my point.

I don't have a problem with fans expressing their views at all.  I just think it is naive for someone to think that they have a point to make that will make KW look stupid or will outwit him. 

Being involved everyday, I have no doubt KW has an answer for every criticism the Sox fans can throw out there.  Being heard is okay.  Expecting to win a debate is not realistic. 

That was my point.

JimH and Rex:

Maybe this could be another witty comment to make:

People come to these conferencs believing it is going to be a battle of wits and what it turns out to be is a battle of wits between unarmed opponents! :D

I think the fact the Sox contingent led by KW is having these conferences, and the fact that KW let people speak their minds and extended the session, is only a plus for the team. My respect for Kenny just went up. However, Jerry Reinsdorf is another matter...

JimH and Rex:

Maybe this could be another witty comment to make:

People come to these conferencs believing it is going to be a battle of wits and what it turns out to be is a battle of wits between unarmed opponents! :D

I think the fact the Sox contingent led by KW is having these conferences, and the fact that KW let people speak their minds and extended the session, is only a plus for the team. My respect for Kenny just went up. However, Jerry Reinsdorf is another matter...

Agreed...Though I may not like EVERYTHING KW has done over the years. I really respect him to go up there and answer these questions and take heat from the fans after an offseason like this.

Agreed...Though I may not like EVERYTHING KW has done over the years.  I really respect him to go up there and answer these questions and take heat from the fans after an offseason like this.

Maybe what I really should have said was "some of these fans" because I would like to think the vast majority of those attending are informed, enlightened and true baseball fans in love with Sox baseball. We just want to be involved and informed and we want a competitve ball club on the field. Am I right or wrong here?

Oh that's right.....I feel just about everyone on this board can go under that category.  Here we are talking about baseball and the White Sox throughout the winter months.  Just 19 more days!! :headbang

You got it greaseywheels! We will show the team what it means to be family! I am getting that springtime itch now.

Maybe what I really should have said was "some of these fans" because I would like to think the vast majority of those attending are informed, enlightened and true baseball fans in love with Sox baseball. We just want to be involved and informed and we want a competitve ball club on the field. Am I right or wrong here?

You got it dead on man.

She didn't cause a scene.

She was asking the question, Williams thought she was done making her point, he started answering, and she said something like "Kenny, I'm not finished".

She said something to him at the start of the question like, "I'm Stephanie, from Plainfield, hi neighbor" ... something like that, to KW.

It was a sullen, sarcastic, borderline hostile crowd, or at least the majority were.  I also sensed a few who'd been freely hitting the beer taps before the seminar, perhaps to get their courage up.

Baggio asked a question but did not ask KW to resign, as he said he would.

HSC described how she follows the farm teams, goes to games in Birmingham, Louisville, etc. (some guy was heard to say "we're happy for ya, lady") and berated KW about Aaron Miles.  KW's response was basically. "well, we liked Aaron Miles too, but we do this for a living".  The clear implication was they (Sox personnel) were more qualified to make a personnel judgement.  Time will tell.

There was a significant amount of people grumbling under their breath with every response.  I think it showed a lack of courtesy, as other people were trying to listen to the responses.

Hawk tried to get the crowd on his side, but this group was having none of it.  He went off on Mariotti, stating he's seen Mariotti at the ballpark once, and only once.  He also commented how he and DJ haven't told people "the other side" of some of these media people, and promised he'd do that this year.

The "kid" who asked about ticket prices, i.e. "I just got out of school, I'm on a budget but have a job", etc. took forever to make his point.  There were a number of people waiting in line to ask questions.  This "kid" looked to me to be about 35.  I could be wrong.  But he was obviously clueless, asking why the U.S. Cellular money wasn't being pumped into player personnel.  It's only been reported 100+ times that money is for ballpark improvements ONLY.

My Take:  People are entitled to their opinions, and people are entitled to be angry.  The same goes for the panelists (KW, DJ, Hawk, Hahn, Guillen).

But remember ... It's not all about YOU.  Show a little respect for other people in the room.  Shut your yap when these guys are answering questions, so other people sitting around you can hear the responses. No one is impressed with how smart you are, or how smart you think you are.     

I thought it was a fair, open, frank exchange of thoughts and ideas.  I also felt the panel showed more composure and class than the fans.

Just my .02

jim..you dont have the whole story.....i said you took over a team that won 95 games with a 30 milion dollar payroll and the number 1 farm system..the team has underachieved every eyar under your watch..do you feel a sense of urgency because if we cant win this division , the weakest in baseball this year , then i feel your job is in jeapordy...at that point i was going to say.. i would expect you to resign but when i said your job is in jeapordy kenny droped his mic in his lap and turned saking his head,,,the crowd went "oooohhh" and the young lady holding the microphone walked away from me so i couldnt say anymore..

last year they had a podium up there..this year a girl was holding a microphone for us..she did the same thing to a few other fans who were getting real negative..obviously they were expecting it to turn sour so and probably instructed that girl to do that if the questions got what they felt were too out of line

ask steph..from where i was sitting they tried to do the to steph but she was thinking on her feet real quick and grabbed the girl's hand with he mic and said im not finished...

Not true.

KW didn't pander to anyone either.  If he felt the point was legit, he tried to explain the organization's position on the matter.

If he felt it wasn't legit, he explained why.

Again, just my .02

BTW, I was 100% sober.

kw was an ass, jim , they were taking the microphone away from people when they were asking stuff that got too negative..kenny told that one guy ...yeah , thats nice , now whats your qustion....he said to another guy ..that better not be your question because if it is im go come out firing at you....hawk had to jump in and stop kenny after that buy saying i think alot of this negativety comes from one sports writer , if i can call him that and went on to blast marriotti...trying to get the crowd back on their side..ozzie handled himself real well...even told kenny once after kenny said willie harris is our 2nd baseman that willie will play if he hits...ozzie took all the negativity in stride...even rick hahn did this year as opposed to last year when he wasd the one shooting daggers out of his eyes at cwsox ..remember that cw?? :D

all KW had to do was say something like this , atleast this what i was looking for......

i made mistakes in the past..i acknowledge those...i was a young GM , i had to learn on the fly...as you can tell from this year my strategy is different...im not trying to make one blockbuster trade just to make one that ends up hurting the team..i had similiar type offers on the table this year but learning from my past mistakes i believe that none of those offers were good for the white sox team so we didnt make them this year..when the time is right and i can get the trade that will help this tean i will make it...ive learned from my mistakes and i hope you'll get behind me and those 25 guys on the field and support us...

if he said something that like the whole mood would have changed..he would have probably gotten a standing O from the crowd..he would have gotten one from me...instead he is acting in disbelief..like how dare these fans question...thats why the questions got worse and worse as the session went on..

one more thing.. i just remembered this...... this is interesting...when we sat down for the session there was a podium with a microphone from the previous session (i think that was the 20 game winner session)....after that one ended they took the podium away...i was with HSC and we were talking about maybe they arnt gonna do the Q and A...then like i said earlier for the Q and A they had the girl holding the mic..next session i believe the podium was back..

so they new what was coming...that was an attempt to control the questions..it worked until steph had enough of it :lol:

had i been thinking ..i should have picked up on what was happening cause looking back on it , HSC , spoke right before me and they did the same to her...i did get out if he felt his job was in jeapordy but i feel like i let you guys down by not getting to my main question..i was trying to ask him in a way that didnt sound like i was a raving lunatic and messed it up...sorry about that...have to work on my public speaking skills..