Uh Ohhhhhhhh.....

The Critic

man..thats a project...trying to access every team..since you are the resident expert on minor league can you give me 6 teams to start with???...3 that you think are better than the sox and 3 that are worse...then ill go to their teams boards..get fan reaction on what their take is and try to come up with some stats..

also..what about players that change systems??..for example would jon garland be a product of our farm system or the cubs???..aaron miles , ours or houston's??...if alex fernandez were to crack the line up in san diego who would get credit for him???..gotta give me more guildlines cause im a  :dips*** ,  :D

Garland has to be a product of our system. He was looked at as a bust when he was in the Cubs organization and the Sox turned him around.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

man..thats a project...trying to access every team..since you are the resident expert on minor league can you give me 6 teams to start with???...3 that you think are better than the sox and 3 that are worse...then ill go to their teams boards..get fan reaction on what their take is and try to come up with some stats..

also..what about players that change systems??..for example would jon garland be a product of our farm system or the cubs???..aaron miles , ours or houston's??...if alex fernandez were to crack the line up in san diego who would get credit for him???..gotta give me more guildlines cause im a  :dips*** ,  :D

I'll leave the details to you. If you think a guy developed more for us, than for another team, put him on our side. Also factor in what we got back from him in trade.

I'll let you decide which teams you want to start with, but a guideline would be try to find teams without huge payrolls that have a base of regulars. I don't think it would be fair to compare a team that is constantly rebuilding.

Anything else I can't help you with? LOL

One more thing ...

There was a guy sitting next to me who turned around 3-4 times and told Steff to pipe down.  He called her by name.

I asked him who he was, and he acted like he was some kind of undercover agent who couldn't reveal his indentity.  I asked if he was one of our posters, and he snapped "no, I'm not part of any web site".

Maybe it was Isreal4Ever

:lolhitting

I know it has already been posted by others, but I too would also like to send a Big Thank You for all who are keeping us posted with Soxfest and other issues as well. Many at work count on me to keep them updated and informed from this board!

Not many on this board know who I am, but I hope that will change someday soon. It's really a shame that we have to start the pre-season off with all of the hostility and disappointments, instead of having an outlook of high anticipation of a STRONG pitching staff, and more well-proven veteran players. After all that has happened thus far, what keeps my hope going is that the year before last, The "Yuppie Blue Caps" had a horrible record with a terrible outlook as well, and they nearly went to the Series on the following year! Someone on an earlier dated post really made me think when he/she said " Just find a way to get to the playoffs, and then ""ANY"" team can get HOT!" I'm like all of you! Excessively disappointed thus far, but if I don't cling to the previous quotes above, then what hope do I give myself for enjoying ANY of the 2004 season?

I've been a Sox fan 40 plus years. When finances and work schedules allow it, I love going to the ballpark. Yeah........ I hugely desire to be able to have an EXPLOSIVE team. It didn't happen as hoped for since the end of last year! Regardless.......... I'm still going to enjoy going to the park and Root for a team that is a Great part of my history and memories! Once again, thank you to Everyone of you!

I know it has already been posted by others, but I too would also like to send a Big Thank You for all who are keeping us posted with Soxfest and other issues as well. Many at work count on me to keep them updated and informed from this board!

Not many on this board know who  I am, but I hope that will change someday soon.  It's really a shame that we have to start the pre-season off with all of the hostility and disappointments, instead of having an outlook of high anticipation of a STRONG pitching staff, and more well-proven veteran players. After all that has happened thus far, what keeps my hope going is that the year before last, The "Yuppie Blue Caps" had a horrible record with a terrible outlook as well, and they nearly went to the Series on the following year! Someone on an earlier dated post really made me think when he/she said " Just find a way to get to the playoffs, and then ""ANY"" team can get HOT!" I'm like all of you! Excessively disappointed thus far, but if I don't cling to the previous quotes above, then what hope do I give myself for enjoying ANY of the 2004 season?

I've been a Sox fan 40 plus years. When finances and work schedules allow it, I love going to the ballpark. Yeah........ I hugely desire  to be able to have an EXPLOSIVE team. It didn't happen as hoped for since the end of last year! Regardless.......... I'm still going to enjoy going to the park and Root for a team that is a Great part of my history and memories! Once again, thank you to Everyone of you!

Right on ROOFTOP!!!!! :headbang

:cheers :cheers :cheers

A nicer article and reaction the second time around w/ KW's Q&A...

01/31/2004

Spirit, passion rules at SoxFest

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com 

CHICAGO -- Before stepping on stage Saturday for a seminar with approximately 1,500 fans concerning the 2004 White Sox during the second day of the 12th annual FanFest at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Chicago, general manager Ken Williams was asked to describe the crowd's demeanor during Friday night's raucous seminar of the exact same nature.

"Spirited and passionate," said Williams to a group of reporters assembled in a hallway behind the stage.

It was spirited and passionate enough for one Chicago newspaper to print that it resembled "The Jerry Springer Show," with fans and panel members arguing over the questions 15 minutes into the seminar.

But if Friday was more like Jerry Springer, then Saturday's 70-minute question-and-answer period seemed closer to an Oprah Winfrey-like pep rally to stick with the Chicago-based talk show references. Williams was joined once again by manager Ozzie Guillen and television announcers Ken "Hawk" Harrelson and Darrin Jackson, as well as third-base coach Joey Cora.

The mood for the seminar was quickly established when the woman who had the first question stepped to the microphone and told Williams, "I'm not going to be as mean as I was last night." Williams quickly countered.

"Before you get started, seriously, the perception is that it was a mean, Jerry Springer session," Williams said of Friday. "I didn't take it that way and I didn't believe it was the case. I've been in town a long time and I understand your passion. I feel the same darn way."

It was an afternoon without anything close to an incident from the first question through the 20th, as time expired on the seminar. In fact, there were some comical moments and humorous by-play between Williams and Guillen that seemingly bode well for their ability to communicate during the course of the season.

Fans primarily complimented Williams for the job he has done assembling the talent on the 2004 White Sox and welcomed Guillen back to Chicago. There were inquiries concerning Jeremy Reed's chances to start in center field, Willie Harris' ability to handle second base and the leadoff position, as well as a few suggestions regarding changes at or around U.S. Cellular Field.

But the biggest response came about 30 minutes in, when an astute fan made reference to comments from Frank McCourt, the Dodgers' new owner, and how he's committed to bringing a power hitter to Los Angeles. The same fan asked Williams to come clean as to whether he planned to trade from his surplus of right-handed sluggers, namely Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Lee, for left-handed pitcher Odalis Perez and top prospects Edwin Jackson and Greg Miller.

"Maggs and Carlos Lee are not going anywhere," said Williams, drawing huge applause that lasted close to one minute. "I do not expect to make any deals at this point.

"I don't believe there are any matchups. Hopefully, during my time in this job, we have shown you that we are not afraid to make moves and aggressively pursue impact-type players."

There was also the requisite question regarding Frank Thomas and his treatment from Guillen and Williams, a saga that started when Guillen mentioned at his first press conference that Thomas has to play the same way as the rest of the team. Guillen announced that Thomas "right now is my favorite player in a White Sox uniform," and for seemingly the 1,000th time during the offseason, poked fun at not having talked to the "Big Hurt," despite some attempts on his part.

"The only people who have to return my phone calls are my wife and three kids," Guillen joked.

"I hope it keeps up," added Harrelson of the Thomas' issue. "Frank is a better player if he has an edge on him."

The edge to the crowd Friday night could have come from the White Sox unable to re-sign free agents such as Bartolo Colon, Tom Gordon, Carl Everett and fan favorite Tony Graffanino. For Williams, the explanation goes much deeper.

It's pure passion shown by the White Sox faithful. It's the passion to have the best team in place every season and then make the most of that talent as the year progresses. For that reason, Williams pegged 2003 as one of the toughest campaigns to put behind him. He believed the fans felt the same way.

"Personally it crushed me and I will never, never forget 2003 because of the underachieving team we had and I'm sure a lot of you feel the same way," Williams said. "It's a heck of a lot harder to build up the momentum after that fall.

"We all have a common goal and a common desire and people want to see us do well. But I have a lot of optimism for 2004. One thing you will see with Ozzie in charge is passion for the game and passion for the organization. I don't believe I could find anyone with as much passion as this guy."

That theory of missing passion in the clubhouse and on the field was espoused hours later when Mark Buehrle and Jose Valentin joined Harrelson and Jackson on stage for another question-and-answer seminar. Fans asked why the White Sox could handle the Yankees but struggled against second-division teams such as the Tigers, Devil Rays and Cleveland.

They talked about the American League Central and congratulated Buehrle on signing his three-year deal with the White Sox during the offseason.

"It's three years with an option, so no more Cardinals talk," said Buehrle with a laugh.

But it was one fan from each session who basically summed up the overriding feelings that sent the groups either into a frenzy of catcalls or applause during these seminars. In the first session, a 44-year-old man, who has been a White Sox fan most of his life, spoke of how he has never watched a World Series game involving the South Side team.

"My plea is this," the fan continued, addressing Guillen and Williams. "I don't care how you do it, whether it's with small ball or the long ball. But just get our beloved White Sox into the World Series."

As for the closing comment, it came from a little girl who threw out the question that was on the mind of almost everyone in attendance.

"Do you think the White Sox will make the playoffs?" she asked of Buehrle and Valentin.

Buehrle smiled and simply said, "Yes." Judging by the thunderous reaction, it was what the fans wanted to hear.

Okay, I love Hawk and all, but should have he really said this? It just kills any trade value of Mags, if we were to decide to get something for him this season.

Harrelson also made some news by saying of Ordonez: "Maggs has already decided he'll be a free agent after the season. He's a wonderful guy and a wonderful ballplayer, but he's going to leave."

"He gone!" shouted some fans in their best Harrelson voice.

This is from the Trib article....Cheers, jeers and fears at SoxFest

So I guess you and Steff and everyone else can fire at KW, but when he does it back to you ... he's an ass?

In my opinion, that's a little hypocritical.

Jim.. can you, or someone, clarify this comment here? I'm a bit confused as to the direction of the conversation.

Thanks

I just want to add one thing... I don't think Friday was as explosive as it's been made out the be. Kenny even commented before Saturday's Q&A that it was NOT "Springer like". Yes, things got a bit heated a few times..big deal. No one was about to throw punches. IMO.. this thread started out just as bad as the bulls*** in the papers.

I just want to add one thing... I don't think Friday was as explosive as it's been made out the be. Kenny even commented before Saturday's Q&A that it was NOT "Springer like". Yes, things got a bit heated a few times..big deal. No one was about to throw punches. IMO.. this thread started out just as bad as the bulls*** in the papers.

The way I see it, on Friday, people just wanted to get everyting off their chest. If thata meant taking a few semi-shots at Kw and whoever, so be it. Now I think people are just getting over the offseason and looking forward to baseball. Its just that, like KW said, they have a strong passion for the sox.

I think a big part of that perception is for a couple of reasons. In the past years, the Q and A's were love fests, punctuated by the occasional question about a minor leaguer. This year the questioning was tough, and the beer was flowing. A lot of people got all fired up for this, and we all knew it was coming. I don't know if the reporters actually have read anything that we said, or they would have known it too.

Jim.. can you, or someone, clarify this comment here? I'm a bit confused as to the direction of the conversation.

Thanks

Sure.

Baggs said KW was an ass because he shot back at the guy who made the inane comment about "well now that 2004 is over let me ask about 2005".

Baggs fired on KW and you did too. And that's fine.

The comment was directed at Baggs, as he brought up the issue of how KW shouldn't have fired back at that guy or the 35 year old fresh grad.

My comment to Baggs was, ok, anyone can fire on KW but when he fires back, he's an ass?

If Baggs thinks he can fire on people and that's ok ... but if people fire back they're an ass ... that's hypocritical. Do as I say, not as I do.

I don't think Baggs truly feels that way, based on his responses in this thread.

I thought some people were out of line on Friday night, with their peanut gallery cat calls and all the under-the-breath chatter while the panel was trying to answer questions. It made it harder to hear their responses ... and personally, that's what I was there for, to hear the panel's responses, and not all the peanut gallery chatter.

But it is a public forum, and it would be crazy for me to expect perfect behavior.

I wasn't there Friday, but I was there Sunday, and there are many embarrassingly stupid questions asked, but the people there PAID to be there to ask questions and have KW answer them the best he can. These questions are asked every year, KW even said later he expected it. I agree that catcalls are uncalled for. But KW has to do this 3 days a year, so if he doesn't like a question or the tone of it he should try and be above it and smile and answer it to the best of his ability. Its basic customer service, firing back is uncalled for, immature and classless. Funny, I just described the Sox GM and manager.

I wasn't there Friday, but I was there Sunday, and there are many embarrassingly stupid questions asked, but the people there PAID to be there to ask questions and have KW answer them the best he can. These questions are asked every year, KW even said later he expected it.  I agree that catcalls are uncalled for. But KW has to do this 3 days a year, so if he doesn't like a question or the tone of it he should try and be above it and smile and answer it to the best of his ability. Its basic customer service, firing back is uncalled for, immature and classless. Funny, I just described the Sox GM and manager.

There were some incredibly ignorant questions asked. Both days I caught the Q&A someone accused JR of keeping the money from the stadium naming rights, when the entire world knows that money has been spent on ballpark improvements, and that JR has never had a chance to touch any of that money.

with their peanut gallery cat calls and all the under-the-breath chatter while the panel was trying to answer questions

There were some incredibly ignorant questions asked

Well, it's not as if Sox fans will be ever be confused with class OR with baseball knowledge.

:nono