Engagement Rings

Texsox

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got lucky as hell.

My mother gave me the center stone in her engagement ring (a family tradition), which was handed down for 4 generations. I was lucky to be recipient #5. It had a 3.6 CARAT diamond in it. I spent about $500 on the rest of the ring (diamond chips and gold), had the big-ass stone set in the middle, and then gave my fiancee the ring.

My wife still thinks I spent a fortune on that ring, but I spent more money on Hooters chicken wings during that year.

I'm happy, and so is she - so really gives a s***.

The DeBeers family wants you to believe their bulls*** ads because they want to have you buy their diamonds. They used to have a monopoly on diamonds - but NO MORE. A family in the Canadian Rockies spent almost 100 years trying to find a deposit of diamonds, and they recently found the HUGE deposit they waited a century to find . So the DeBeers family had better s*** their pants now, because things are going to change.

Diamond this, greedy bastages. :headbang

Some of my friends were saying that the wedding is supposed to cost what you make in a year...

Your friends were right.

Two months salary thing is a joke. It's not a vacarion trip to Mexico or a big screen TV, people.

It's something that a man has got to work (and save) his ASS off for and later see in his nightmares. And the woman should be damned teary-eyed every time she looks at it and understands how special she is. It transcends the actual ring/stone. It's, like, symbolic.

That's how I was taught, anyway. What the hell do I know!

That's dumb. Why can't I buy people's love too? What if I bought my guy season's pass instead of an engagement ring?

Call me f***in' crazy, but the act of proposing is a MAN's lot. And pressuring him into it, using body and guile in equal measure, is a WOMAN's responsibility. Buy him off with season tickets, whatever it takes.

Just don't ever get down on one knee with da boxy-box, even ironically....

Strip life of tradition, customs, games, roles, etc.....and what a dull, formated , unnatural f***in' existence you end up having. Blech.

[/i am a feminist, too...but only when it comes to vital stuff like equal pay, opportunities, etc]

After Brian proposed on my b-day, we went out and I bought him a retro jersey. He calls it his engagement jersey.

I guess if an engagement ring is 'marking territory' (which I disagree 100% with), I can only imagine what weddings are considered. ^_^

After Brian proposed on my b-day, we went out and I bought him a retro jersey.  He calls it his engagement jersey.

I guess if an engagement ring is 'marking territory' (which I disagree 100% with), I can only imagine what weddings are considered. ^_^

hey, just be glad we're not dogs.

Actually, I don't mind wedding bands--I think they're nice since both people wear them. My problem with engagement rings is that only the woman wears them. I just don't like the idea that there's no way to show an equal sign of love as an engagement ring. Plus, I am pretty opposed to the African diamond trade--but for the most part I just wouldn't want someone to spend that kind of cash on me. I guess it just feels like a dowry and I think (at least to me) those days are over. I'd wear a wedding band with my husband because I think that's a beautiful symbol of unity even when apart. But I don't need or want an engagement ring...

I'd wear a wedding band with my husband because I think that's a beautiful symbol of unity even when apart. But I don't need or want an engagement ring...

That's how I see the ring that Brian gave to me.

To each his own (a.k.a. whatever makes ya happy).

Actually, I don't mind wedding bands--I think they're nice since both people wear them. My problem with engagement rings is that only the woman wears them. I just don't like the idea that there's no way to show an equal sign of love as an engagement ring. Plus, I am pretty opposed to the African diamond trade--but for the most part I just wouldn't want someone to spend that kind of cash on me. I guess it just feels like a dowry and I think (at least to me) those days are over. I'd wear a wedding band with my husband because I think that's a beautiful symbol of unity even when apart. But I don't need or want an engagement ring...

It's interesting because there are many more "rare" gemstones then diamonds. Tanzanite (sp), sapphires, etc. are technically more rare and harder to find then diamonds, yet because culture places such a high importance on "purity" (white or clear) then the diamond is the stone of choice. It's not just western society either, there are Russian mafia folks all over the diamond industry.

I am pretty opposed to the African diamond trade--

How would you respond to someone that said the diamond industry has employed thousands of workers, both skilled and unskilled, and there would be widespread poverty and famine if Africa could not sell a very valuable resource?

That is the side of the equation I have always struggled with. The world stops buying diamonds and these people lose their jobs without much hope of replacement. That doesn't seem like helping to me.

That is the side of the equation I have always struggled with. The world stops buying diamonds and these people lose their jobs without much hope of replacement. That doesn't seem like helping to me.

Yep, but I'm the only one of my friends that doesn't want an engagement rings--they all think I'm nuts and that there isn't enough wrong with the African diamond trade to merit a boycott. Soooo, I can stick to my crazy thoughts without seriously taking away from anyone's livelihood. Fortunately we aren't all crazy leftists though--that would make for a very unromantic and harsh world. :D

To each his own (a.k.a. whatever makes ya happy).

That pretty much sums it up. I didn't ask for an engagement ring, Jim bought it on his own, and paid what he wanted to, and what he (we) could afford to pay. Calling people names because of their views of what is or isn't acceptable to them it pretty stupid, IMO.

The world's attention to the problems in the diamond trade, daily x-rays of all employees for example, has helped in employee benefits. I read a few articles on the industry and was appaled by some of the practices.

The other problems are in the distribution chain. Looking through the articles, a large number of diamond bought in a store have probably aided terrorists and the drug industry along the way. They are the universal currency, surpassing gold. When a relatively small bag can contain $1,000,000+ worth of diamonds, be converted to cash anywhere in the world, untraceable, legal to have, etc. it is no wonder diamonds are a terrorists best friend.

oh of course Miss Perfect Steff would arrive to teach us manners. Maybe we should call you missy manners.  :P   :D

I know you put that in green.. but this is one of those topics that, IMO, have no benefit in discussion. It's a personal choice. I know what my ring costs, and to some people it would be a lot of money.. but it's what we could afford. Being called names because we can afford such an item... is that necessary?

I know you put that in green.. but this is one of those topics that, IMO, have no benefit in discussion. It's a personal choice. I know what my ring costs, and to some people it would be a lot of money.. but it's what we could afford. Being called names because we can afford such an item... is that necessary?

Gotta agree with ya there. It's the same story with my ring.

I agree--if you want a ring, then get a ring. If you don't go on a vacation instead. I don't think it's a big deal. If you don't want to give a ring date a girl that doesn't want one. Most people don't think it's a big deal. And most of the guys I've dated really don't mind that I would never want an engagement ring. Although a few of my female friends have suggested therapy for not wanting one. :P

I was just poking fun at the whole calling people names in any forum on any topic, not specific to this. I can't believe anyone would change their mind about anything because someone on an internet message board told them to or called them a name.

sorry, miss bossy pants

BTW, which topic in the first twenty pages here is worth discussing? :D