Corwin Malone

Guest JimH

Didn't see this posted anywhere ...

Sox prospect Corwin Malone will undergo reconstructive elbow surgery and will be sidelined for 12-18 months. He'll have the surgery on March 7th.

This kid just can't seem to stay healthy. What a shame. I'd hoped he could start to get back on track at Birmingham this year.

12-18 months..wow

i need to call up that idiot at the score...in '01 i said id trade corwin malone ,joe valentin and a prospect to be named later for matt clement (they had a cub fan and sox fan making deals with each other)..he told me i was nuts and said the cub fan won that deal.. :lol:

12-18 months..wow

i need to call up that idiot at the score...in '01 i said id trade corwin malone ,joe valentin and a prospect to be named later for matt clement (they had a cub fan and sox fan making deals with each other)..he told me i was nuts and said the cub fan won that deal.. :lol:

joe valentin

Is that Joe Valentine or Jose Valentin? I assume it's Valentine, knowing how much you like Valentin, and how the Cubs would not improve incredibly with Valentin over Gonzo, but I still have to ask.

Either way, IMO, Sox win.

And this seemed to be the make or break year for Corwin. I think we know which way he's going. He better hope he can make it as a reliever elsewhere, because I tend to think his career as a member of the Chicago White Sox organization has about come to an end.

Is that Joe Valentine or Jose Valentin?  I assume it's Valentine, knowing how much you like Valentin, and how the Cubs would not improve incredibly with Valentin over Gonzo, but I still have to ask.

Either way, IMO, Sox win.

And this seemed to be the make or break year for Corwin.  I think we know which way he's going.  He better hope he can make it as a reliever elsewhere, because I tend to think his career as a member of the Chicago White Sox organization has about come to an end.

yes it was the illustrious joe valentinE :lol:

it was a shoiw where they took a cub fan and a sox fan and gave them 3 minutes to make a deal...the sox were in contention in '01 and the scrubs were out of it...so the trade we came to was clement for malone , valentine and a player to be named later...like a class A player....i cant remember who the host was on the show..it was on the score , black guy that always insulted his guests..remember him??..he said giving away 3 players for 1 was stupid...ill have to figure out who it was..if he is still here ill call him back :)

Where did you find that, Jim?

Haven't really chceked anywhere else but this is what rotoworld had on him...

Corwin Malone is scheduled to undergo Tommy John surgery on March 7 and will miss the season.

Malone has battled shoulder and elbow problems since establishing himself as one of the top left-handed pitching prospects in baseball during 2001. At least there's a good excuse for last season's poor performance, as he probably spent most of last year pitching with a partially torn elbow ligament. Still, his stock is at an all-time low.

This is an example of why, when you have a shot at a pennant, you go for it as KW did last year. All 3 of the big pickups he made, walked, but he knew that was a possibility when he made those deals. I don't disagree with KW makings those trades for one minute. I didn't work out, but if he would have done nothing and then we lost, we'd be screaming for his head on a platter.

Malone can probably be placed in the never-will-be catagory, and that's too bad. But, it is not necessarily the end for him. A little bit of good luck and a lot of hard work on his part, and he may come all the way back. Good luck to him.

Wow, that sucks. I was hoping that Corwin could put all the pieces together this year. I do hope that he can come back and have a good ML career, but his prospect days are probably gone too. It's the Pawtucket Gammons curse! Everytime he says a prospect on the Sox is gonna break out, they always struggle. He did it with Garland, Malone, & Borchard. Somebody hit him with a lead pipe if he mentions Reed or Honel.

Haven't really chceked anywhere else but this is what rotoworld had on him...

Corwin Malone is scheduled to undergo Tommy John surgery on March 7 and will miss the season.

Malone has battled shoulder and elbow problems since establishing himself as one of the top left-handed pitching prospects in baseball during 2001. At least there's a good excuse for last season's poor performance, as he probably spent most of last year pitching with a partially torn elbow ligament. Still, his stock is at an all-time low.

And just to back up you and jim's statement, here's an article about Malone having surgery and a very good read on Ozzie expecting his pitchers to go to distance.

Starters Expected To Go To Distance

Malone to Undergo Tommy John Surgery

By Jason Gage

February 22, 2004

FutureSox.com

Corwin Malone’s 2004 season is over before it began. Malone is scheduled to undergo Tommy John surgery on March 7th. Typically a pitcher can be back on the mound a year after the surgery, but once your throwing again there are no guarantees that you’ll ever be the pitcher you once were and there is no guarantee you stay healthy.

In 2001 Malone was not only the Sox best left handed pitching prospect, but he was one of the best left handed pitching prospects in baseball. Since then Malone has had control and injury problems, which sidelined him for part of 2002 and part of 2003.

When healthy, Malone features a low to mid 90’s fastball with good movement and a plus over-hand curve ball. At 23, Malone still has a chance to recover from the injuries and make it to the majors, but the odds keep getting lower. Malone would of likely started the season in Birmingham.

Wow, that sucks.  I was hoping that Corwin could put all the pieces together this year.  I do hope that he can come back and have a good ML career, but his prospect days are probably gone too.  It's the Pawtucket Gammons curse!  Everytime he says a prospect on the Sox is gonna break out, they always struggle.  He did it with Garland, Malone, & Borchard.  Somebody hit him with a lead pipe if he mentions Reed or Honel.

Sorry, you are too late...... Gammons mentions Reed in his current column on ESPN.com right now.

Sorry, you are too late......  Gammons mentions Reed in his current column on ESPN.com right now.

Awww, CRAP! That pud is like a bad omen to Sox prospects.

(of course, JM's constant tinkering and mismanagment didn't help either. :lol: )

Malone's thoughts on da surgery,

Despite having to be on the shelf for all of the upcoming season, minor-league pitcher Corwin Malone is relieved to be having surgery on his left elbow. "I'm kind of happy we made a decision to get it done," he said. "I want to go through the rehab, work out hard and be ready to go [next year]."

This is an example of why, when you have a shot at a pennant, you go for it as KW did last year.  All 3 of the big pickups he made, walked, but he knew that was a possibility when he made those deals.  I don't disagree with KW makings those trades for one minute.  I didn't work out, but if he would have done nothing and then we lost, we'd be screaming for his head on a platter.

AMEN, YASNY!

I've had my disagreements with KW but I was very pleased with the moves he made last year in an attempt to win it all.

Clearly, he understood the salary problems that he was facing this year and made a run for it.

AMEN, YASNY!

I've had my disagreements with KW but I was very pleased with the moves he made last year in an attempt to win it all.

Clearly, he understood the salary problems that he was facing this year and made a run for it.

Salary problems? With Jerry Reinsdorf? With JR at the helm, we have NO salary restraints!!!

But anyways, bad news about Corwin. Hope that explains part of his horrible BB:K ratio he had going. Some pitchers return better off after TJ surgery, dunno how, but I'm hoping to see Corwins name in teh Sox organization again soon.