2nd Base Problem

whitesoxin'

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, I'm not second guessing the decision to let Willie play, but I just think that Todd Walker would have been much better. His average and D is better than Willie. IMO Will had his chance last year and failed.

Walker's defense sucks, that's why he couldn't get a starting gig anywhere. Willies' D is far superior, the only ????? is can he get on base.

It woulda been nice to have had Walker on the bench and it sucks that we have almost no alternatives to Harris but that's how things are at the moment.

It's amazing to think that at this time last yr 2nd base was probably the strongest position in the org with DJ, Harris, Miles, and Hummel(you could even throw Graffy in that mix). Now it's pretty much Harris or bust.

Willie is homegrown

Yes he is, and if the Orioles see him succeed, I'm sure it will hurt them since he was a top minor-league player for Baltimore until we traded Singleton for him. 

:o

It will hurt no doubt, but the O's had a glut of young infielders in Brian Roberts etc. who were ready to play for the O's. Prob why Willie got traded.

ya i think we should give Willie a chance before we rule him out. He succeeded in the minors, i think we should at least give him a legitimate shot. Ya never know

The minors mean nothing. If he was so good Baltimore would not have let him go so easily... They saw nothing in him. I don't think we will either.

OOps!!! Meant Jose "Valentin!!!"  My sarcastic comment was made because he will be Harris's counterpart and will be playing much together. Valentin's defense has never known to be real solid, that;s why my question............................ Is he the one that Harris will learn from????  How can he learn from him, when he (valentin) hasn't learned himself yet???

Look at Jose's defensive numbers last yaer and then tell me he wasn't, at the very least, a decent shortstop.

Steff:

Why don't you think Willie will succeed?  What do or don't you see in him to make you think that?  I really haven't gotten to see him play much, so I can't really comment.

Rex.. I know this is a s***ty reason.. but from things that Sidney has told me. As well as Alvie Sheppard (former O's minor leaguer) who both had nothing positive to say about his skills. I saw Willie play as much as anyone else who watched the Sox last year. I saw nothing of him in his minor league career, but a great minor league career doesn't equal major league success. I don't see any spark from him except from his mouth. He talks a good game. Reminds me of Royce and Jiminez. Just gut..

Rex.. I know this is a s***ty reason.. but from things that Sidney has told me. As well as Alvie Sheppard (former O's minor leaguer) who both had nothing positive to say about his skills. I saw Willie play as much as anyone else who watched the Sox last year. I saw nothing of him in his minor league career, but a great minor league career doesn't equal major league success. I don't see any spark from him except from his mouth. He talks a good game. Reminds me of Royce and Jiminez. Just gut..

I sure hope your gut instincts are wrong. We need this kid to do well.

I know we have WillieHarris13 who's changed his number plenty of times on his name, and WillieHarris2. However, now you'll have to fight for the new number.....

From ChiSox.com

Numbers game: After wearing No. 12 and No. 13 last year with the White Sox, Willie Harris will switch to No. 1 this season. Guillen has taken back his old No. 13.

If Harris is forced to switch again, he’s leaning toward 00. It has nothing to do with Harris being a big fan of basketball players Robert Parrish and Tony Delk, or pro football legend Jim Otto.

“I would just give up, if I had to change again,” Harris said. “It wouldn’t matter at that point.”

You are basing Willie's MLB hitting on what? 342 sporadic at bats? Good luck evaluating players on that. Wait and see what he can do. Give the freaking guy a chance. We really don't need Walker. He is just another guy with limited speed and no defense. His glove is not good at all. s***, he isn't even the starter over old man Grudzy. He is going to split time with him. If he was really as good as you think he would have that job outright. He doesn't.

If he gets on base and hits .275 with a .350 OBP, he might steal 40 bases. If he hits at pretty much anything less then that(especially something around .225 .300), he won't steal 40 bases.

If he hits .250 and can draw a walk now and then(maybe a .320 OBP), I'll be satisfied.

And if you took the time to read my other post, I talked about what little range Walker really has, and if you comprehended that, you would understand that I didn't want Walker at all. In fact, I am not exactly sure why the Cubs signed him in the first place. My only guess is that they did it so, if they needed to, they could trade Grudzielanek to a team that needs him or wants him...say the Yankees for instance.

I know we have WillieHarris13 who's changed his number plenty of times on his name, and WillieHarris2.  However, now you'll have to fight for the new number.....

From ChiSox.com

Haha greasy I beat you to it. I posted that at the beginning of this thread yesterday. :)

ah god thats twice today ive messed up trying to make the font green. man do i suck at that

One, you can edit your post where it says "edit" at the right hand side of your post.

two, to highlight in green, just write whatever sarcasm you have, then with your mouse click and highlight the word. Then, go to color and put green.

One, you can edit your post where it says "edit" at the right hand side of your post.

two, to highlight in green, just write whatever sarcasm you have, then with your mouse click and highlight the word. Then, go to color and put green.

or blue, or red, or purple, or orange, or yellow, or gray :lolhitting