Frank arrived to camp today.

JDsDirtySox

Thomas arrives to camp early

Thomas arrives to camp early

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com 

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Frank Thomas arrived at Tucson Electric Park Tuesday afternoon a little before 2 p.m. Mountain Time, erasing any doubts that the perceived animosity between the White Sox great and new manager Ozzie Guillen would delay his arrival to Spring Training.

Dressed in black and looking in top physical condition, Thomas walked into the complex after most of the media, players and coaches had left for the day. But Thomas' spirits seemed to be as positive as his numbers from 2003, indicating that the problem with Guillen might be more a press creation than a reality.

Thomas will answer that question Wednesday, when he takes his physical and works out with the other position players for the first time.

"I'll be around," said Thomas with a broad smile, after shaking hands with a few people at Tucson Electric.

A few hours earlier, general manager Ken Williams had mentioned he expected Thomas to report Wednesday, despite having until March 2 to officially arrive, according to Major League Baseball rules. He also spoke of how the issues surrounding Thomas were far more inflamed outside the clubhouse than they were inside.

The problem with Thomas and Guillen apparently was ignited at the new manager's first press conference, when he called out Thomas by name in trying to make a point that he will have his players united as a team, with all of them abiding by the same rules. Despite efforts by Williams and Guillen, Thomas didn't return any phone calls after Guillen's comments.

It could end up being slight bitterness that turned into an unintentional oversight on Thomas' part. He did speak to third-base coach Joey Cora during the offseason, who conveyed the message that Thomas and Guillen will easily coexist and that the power-hitting designated hitter was excited about the 2004 season.

Thomas also spoke briefly and informally to MLB.com during the offseason at the Las Vegas gym where he puts himself through intense workouts. But Thomas declined when asked if he wanted to talk about the recent controversy.

"No. I'll wait until Spring Training," Thomas said as he headed to his exercise bike.

Some fans questioned Guillen's thinking when mentioning Thomas by name during his debut meeting with the media. After all, Thomas hit 42 home runs last season and drove in 105 runs, with his offense being a key force in driving the White Sox to American League Central contention.

Guillen said Monday Thomas was one of the greatest hitters he ever witnessed during his prime, he was "the man" and that he will be treated with privilege and respect that he has earned. But Guillen reiterated Thomas needs to buy into the relaxed, but focused, team atmosphere already created during the first week of Spring Training.

Thomas' arrival was greatly anticipated by Guillen and Williams alike, but for different reasons. Williams's tenure as general manager began in 2001 with Thomas reporting on time to camp and then walking out for a few days, unhappy with the diminished skills clause in his contract and his overall salary compared with to other stars of the game. Thomas returned before the mandatory report date.

During last year's Spring Training, Thomas held a 45-minute press conference the day he reported, once again venting his anger at the diminished skills clause in his contract. being invoked and forcing Thomas to sign a one-year deal with a series of options after exploring free agency. Nonetheless, Williams was calm Tuesday.

"This is par for the course, isn't it?" said Williams with a smile of the possible theatrics that could come along with Thomas. "We will all know soon enough how tomorrow is going to go, and I don't anticipate anything more than what has been in the past.

"There seems to be a little something every year. We will deal with it and move on."

Williams wouldn't confirm if he planned to privately meet with Thomas. Guillen sensed a buzz in the clubhouse regarding Thomas, with more of a focus on the future then the hashing out of differences between the two.

"Even the players are excited about it," said Guillen of Thomas joining the team. "They said it's something that we have to get over with if the expectations are going to be high."

Thomas was an offensive force on the field last season and a consummate pro with the media off the field. He appears poised and ready for another strong campaign, sitting 82 home runs short of the 500-homer goal he spoke about in 2003.

Among active players, Thomas ranks in the top 10 in average (.310, 9th), on-base percentage (.428, second behind Barry Bonds), slugging percentage (.568, 7th), home runs (8th), RBIs (1,390, 7th) and walks (1,386, third behind Bonds and Ricky Henderson). Career numbers like that are hard to argue and a boon to almost any team in the league

"Hopefully, Frank will come in Wednesday, work out and get ready for the season," said White Sox right fielder Magglio Ordonez, who reported one day early, of Thomas. "I get along with Frank really well. He has been good to me and a good friend and teammate. I have no problem with Frank at all."

"I don't think about it that in-depth anymore," added Williams of issues with Thomas. "It is what it is. You deal with these issues and move on to the next course of business."

I posted this yesterday on another message board...... I wasn't completely off. LOL

On Frank/Ozzie:

I think Frank should throw all the media off by quietly showing up to camp on Tuesday. He and Ozzie can talk, yell, scream, FT can throw punches, Ozzie will run and Frank won't catch him, until Ozzie trips over the bucket of BP balls and then Frank can't hit him because he is laughing so hard. They both realize this whole thing was pretty damned funny, hug, kiss and make up. They seal the deal with a handshake and a promise from Frank to run out every groudball.

The media horde comes in on Wednesday to pick up the scraps of a story that is not there, as Frank and Ozzie walk out onto the field at Tucson Electric Park, arm in arm with big smiles across their faces.

I posted this yesterday on another message board...... I wasn't completely off.  LOL

On Frank/Ozzie:

I think Frank should throw all the media off by quietly showing up to camp on Tuesday. He and Ozzie can talk, yell, scream, FT can throw punches, Ozzie will run and Frank won't catch him, until Ozzie trips over the bucket of BP balls and then Frank can't hit him because he is laughing so hard. They both realize this whole thing was pretty damned funny, hug, kiss and make up. They seal the deal with a handshake and a promise from Frank to run out every groudball.

The media horde comes in on Wednesday to pick up the scraps of a story that is not there, as Frank and Ozzie walk out onto the field at Tucson electric Park arm in arm with big smiles across their faces.

Awww, wouldn't that be sweet. :wub:

Spring Training has gone very well so far. Nice to see Maggs come a day early as well, showin his loyalty as well, mayb there's still a chance he can be resigned long - term. Also Willie Harris comin a week early, showed me he is willin to work very hard to become da leadoff guy, and I'm sure Ozzie will do all he can to turn him into Chicago's version of Juan Pierre.