Bears FA thread

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bears chances of getting Tait increased?

Chiefs | Hicks Re-Signs - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:55:48 -0800

The Kansas City Chiefs announced the team re-signed DE Eric Hicks to a six-year contract.

It's pretty much a certainty now... I think the Chiefs can string the bears along for seven days... But the Bears will operate as if They've signed him, and look for more FA's

It's pretty much a certainty now... I think the Chiefs can string the bears along for seven days... But the Bears will operate as if They've signed him, and look for more FA's

Supposedly the Chiefs GM a few days ago said they would resign Tait at basically all costs, so I wouldn't count it as a guarantee.

Players usually are willing to restructure when they know it could bring back a probowler.

Supposedly the Chiefs GM a few days ago said they would resign Tait at basically all costs, so I wouldn't count it as a guarantee.

Players usually are willing to restructure when they know it could bring back a probowler.

They've only got bout 5 mill in cap room, and they resigned Eric Hicks to a 6 year deal. That said, I think the Bears may be overpaying Tait just a little. I know Flozell Adams from Dallas was resigned to a lower contract and he was a pro bowler this year.

The Bears need to work on getting the DE from the Miami Dolphins (Adewale). The guy had 15 sacks in both 2002 AND 2003.

Maybe trade them one of our WRs and a mid to low draft choice.

If we did that, then the Bears can draft "the best available player" regardless of position.

:fthecubs

The Bears need to work on getting the DE from the Miami Dolphins (Adewale). The guy had 15 sacks in both 2002 AND 2003.

Maybe trade them one of our WRs and a mid to low draft choice.

If we did that, then the Bears can draft "the best available player" regardless of position.

:fthecubs

I like what you're saying. I would really love to know we have Tait aswell. Man, I'm so happy the Bears are actually trying to get much better. :headbang

Just read in the Sun Times today that most of if not all of that signing bonus is for the first year. That would be hard for the Chiefs to match. Not only that, but there is a no trade clause in the contract, so the chiefs can's match and trade him to the Bears or any other team (Dolphins). If they sign Tait they are mulling over signing former Denver Broncos LT Ephraim Salaam. We could go from having one of the worst O lines in the leage to one of the best. Salaam, Tucker, Kreutz, Gandy, and Tait. Very nice!!!

The Cheifs may ask for a draft pick and then would agree not to match the offer. I can't see how they can free up enough cap space to fit in an extra 14 million this year. Depending on what pick they ask for though I wouldn't mind giving it up. 1-5 rounds no way. 6th or 7th I would do it.

According to Pete Brisco from CBS sportsline, the Chiefs will be matching the offer. He said the Chiefs GM has said they will do whatever it takes to get him in and they plan on doing that.

If Tait goes elsewhere, then you can bet the Bear sign Salaam and Sapp assuing both aren't off the market. And I think if Tait signs, you'll see one of the two come to Chicago.

This could also be a ploy by the Chiefs gm to get a draft pick.

Just read in the Sun Times today that most of if not all of that signing bonus is for the first year. That would be hard for the Chiefs to match. Not only that, but there is a no trade clause in the contract, so the chiefs can's match and trade him to the Bears or any other team (Dolphins). If they sign Tait they are mulling over signing former Denver Broncos LT Ephraim Salaam. We could go from having one of the worst O lines in the leage to one of the best. Salaam, Tucker, Kreutz, Gandy, and Tait. Very nice!!!

The Cheifs may ask for a draft pick and then would agree not to match the offer. I can't see how they can free up enough cap space to fit in an extra 14 million this year. Depending on what pick they ask for though I wouldn't mind giving it up. 1-5 rounds no way. 6th or 7th I would do it.

Also, I should add.

They were 5 mill under the cap before signing their DT to the 6 year deal.

Included in that is the 6 year tender offer they have already given to Tait. The Suntimes is now reporting that his cap hit this year will be 14 million.

This means that at 6 mill they already have, that they would have to get another 8 mill under.

After the signing they are probably 3 mill under, and this may not include the cap room set asdie for draft picks. If it doesn't, then they are basically out of caproom. If it does, then they have 9 million that can go to Tait, before even restructuring.

I'd guess they could get this done without any major cuts, if the players are willing to restructure. Plus, if they can do it, after this year the Chiefs have him at an affordable salary.

I like what you're saying. I would really love to know we have Tait aswell. Man, I'm so happy the Bears are actually trying to get much better. :headbang

Steve...

I LOVE the picture with the "Super Steve" tattoo! (My name is Steve also.)

Where did you get it? How?

Also, I should add.

They were 5 mill under the cap before signing their DT to the 6 year deal.

Included in that is the 6 year tender offer they have already given to Tait.  The Suntimes is now reporting that his cap hit this year will be 14 million.

This means that at 6 mill they already have, that they would have to get another 8 mill under. 

After the signing they are probably 3 mill under, and this may not include the cap room set asdie for draft picks.  If it doesn't, then they are basically out of caproom.  If it does, then they have 9 million that can go to Tait, before even restructuring. 

I'd guess they could get this done without any major cuts, if the players are willing to restructure.  Plus, if they can do it, after this year the Chiefs have him at an affordable salary.

ya the cheifs dont have a lot of cap room left which is why the bears gave tait such a high salary for his first year. looks like the cheifs will have to let some guys go if they want this guy back.

Right now the don't have the cap room to match, but they have 7 days to restructure and cut guys to get the room.  Which is probably something they will do to keep a player of Tait's level.

yea and i really hope they figure out a way to keep him too. They can try and move Willis to tackle to make up for Tait's loss, but i'd rather they try and keep Tait. But even if they cant they'll still have 4 out of 5 back at least. But why in the hell would they re-up Hicks for 6 years??? Idiots...their defense was so good last year i guess they're deciding to keep them all...

Accoriding to everything I've read, here's an update on everyone the Bears are pursuing:

FA:

John Tait (OT) (Agreed to Offer Sheet)

Ephrain Salaam (OT)

Adewale Ogunleye (DE)

Darren Jackson (WR)

Cosey Coleman (OT)

Jeno James (OT)

Draft:

Shawn Andrews (OT) Arkansas

Vince Wilfork (DT) Miami

Kenichi Udeze (DE) USC

John Tait (OT)

Ephrain Salaam (OT)

Adewale Ogunleye (DE)

Darren Jackson (WR)

Vince Wilfork (DT) Miami

I would like to see all these guys in a Bears uniform. They would be very formidable me thinks.

i love ogunleye who's darren jackson? hey i know he's a broadcaster in the summer and a football player in the winter!

i love ogunleye who's darren jackson? hey i know he's a broadcaster in the summer and a football player in the winter!

I agree. Agunleye is great but we'd haver to compensate a 1st and 3rd rounder for him. Darren Jackson is a WR from the Seahawks, I believe but I think the Seahawks WR's name is Darell Jackson?