Top of the Line-up

Gene Honda Civic

I know it's only been three games, but there was a ton of questions marks surrounding the top of the order before the season, and over the first three games, none have been answered...

-Willie Harris has been on base once in 2 games... .111OBP

-Jose has looked down right stupid vs. lefties. -- 0-for-6, 6K's

-In three games, Maggs has come to the plate with the bases empty in all three first innings.

-The 1 and 2 spots have combined for a .080 avg and an OBP of .120

It looks to me that this is the weakest part of the sox game, not the bullpen, or starting rotation...

Am I the only one who see's this lineup an extremely pressing problem??

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the top of the order needs to get on base, but would it have really helped in a game like today?

sure... willie gets on base by any means necessary (HBP could be his best option)

he then causes vasquez to concentrate on his position instead of Jose at the plate, this could result in vasquez accidentaly hitting joses bat. If nothing else it takes three pitches to strike out, and willie could steal second, and maybe third before Joses walks back to the bench.... where he's ready to be driven in by maggs or frank...

ya know what, i think carlos would be a good fit for #2, but i also like rowand there even more. He's gonna have a break out year and is certainly better than either of the two up there right now.

we could always lead off kong since he's obviously developed a helluva lotta speed in the off season

Roberts.

Roberts.

Roberts.

Roberts.

Roberts.

Roberts should have been in the Sox uniform yesterday. A huge failure on part of KW. Cannot be overstated.

(against RHP)

1.Roberts

2.Valentin/Lee

(gainst LHP)

1. Roberts

2. Rowand/Olivo

It wouldn't matter who was hitting #2 at this point because #1 isn't getting on base period. Jose did get a 9th inning single off Rivera today, which was nice, but the runner obviously got stranded on second because Maggs & Frank & Carlos looked bad in their at bats against him. That's why the Yankees closer is the best there is and no knock on our guys.

Jose hasn't looked sharp that's for sure, but he is a guy who can carry the offense when he is hot.

I knew Harris would suck, I whined about that all offseason, and everyone was like OH GIVE HIM A SHOT. He sucks, flat out.

Valentin will never be mistaken for Rod Carew but he should be doing better than this.

I  know it's only been three games, but there was a ton of questions marks surrounding the top of the order before the season, and over the first three games, none have been answered...

-Jose has looked down right stupid vs. lefties.  --  0-for-6, 6K's

-In three games, Maggs has come to the plate with the bases empty in all three first innings.

It looks to me that this is the weakest part of the sox game, not the bullpen, or starting rotation...

:notworthy

I think Oz should put Rowand or CLee on second.

Harris leading off, just sucks...i have no idea of who to put in the leadoff spot.

I nominate Aaron Rowand for the #2 hole...

Jose's stats -- Last three years..

-Batting 2nd -- .250 avg, .832 OPS

-Batting 6th -- .257 avg, .867 OPS

-Batting 7th -- .262 avg, .816 OPS

Carlos' -- Last three years...

-Batting 2nd -- .301 avg, 848 OPS

-Batting 3rd -- .286 avg, 983 OPS

-Batting 6th -- .272 avg, 771 OPS

-Batting 7th -- .272 avg, 788 OPS

Aaron's -- Last three years...

Batting 2nd -- .385 avg, 898 OPS (177 AB's)

Batting 7th -- .243 avg, 683 OPS (152 AB's)

Batting 8th -- .224 avg, 630 OPS (143 AB's)

I knew Harris would suck, I whined about that all offseason, and everyone was like OH GIVE HIM A SHOT.  He sucks, flat out.

Valentin will never be mistaken for Rod Carew but he should be doing better than this.

Harris doesn't suck; Royce Klayton sucks. Harris is simply not a major leaguer. He is beyond suck.

Agreed on Jose. He was Sox' best hitter/player this spring. Hit righties, hit lefties, hit for power, drove in runs, took walks, ran bases, committed zero errors, etc.......As soon as the season began, he decided he wants to be a clean-up hitter and basically swings at everything, it's pitiful. With this idiotic approach, pitchers won't throw another strike for the remainder of the season. If he doesn't shape up, Sox are in big trouble.

Baltimore was willing to give Roberts for a prospect early in the season. KW is terrible. We should be 3-0 right now and instead we might be 1-6 going into home opener. The divsion could have been ours by the end of May. Damn.

I  know it's only been three games, but there was a ton of questions marks surrounding the top of the order before the season, and over the first three games, none have been answered...

-Jose has looked down right stupid vs. lefties.  --  0-for-6, 6K's

I think Jose needs to bat at the bottom of the lineup vs lefties!

Harris doesn't suck;  Royce Klayton sucks.    Harris is simply not a major leaguer.  He is beyond suck. 

Agreed on Jose. He was Sox' best hitter/player this spring. Hit righties, hit lefties, hit for power, drove in runs, took walks, ran bases, committed zero errors, etc.......As soon as the season began, he decided he wants to be a clean-up hitter and basically swings at everything, it's pitiful. With this idiotic approach, pitchers won't throw another strike for the remainder of the season.  If he doesn't shape up, Sox are in big trouble.

Baltimore was willing to give Roberts for a prospect early in the season.  KW is terrible. We should be 3-0 right now and instead we might be 1-6 going into home opener.    The divsion could have been ours by the end of May.  Damn.

It's an impossibility for us to be 1-6 going into the home opener.

Put Uribe in the lineup, move Rowand to leadoff, move Lee to 2nd in the order.

New Lineup:

CF Rowand

LF Lee

RF Ordonez

DH Thomas

1B Konerko

SS Valentin

3B Crede

C Olivo

2B Uribe

Rowand has batted .279 with a OBP of .311 in 43 career AB's in the #1 spot.

While stealing 5 bases in 7 career attempts.