Sox Bullpen

striker

why does everyone have confidence in danny wright in the bullpen but not in him starting... i mean sure theirs that whole mentality thing.... but i dont think it would be that much of a difference i rather have kelly wunsch or whatevr brought up and just stick danny in the minors if he loses his starting spot :huh

why does everyone have confidence in danny wright in the bullpen but not in him starting... i mean sure theirs that whole mentality thing.... but i dont think it would be that much of a difference i rather have kelly wunsch or whatevr brought up and just stick danny in the minors if he loses his starting spot  :huh

I don't have the stats on me, but I've seen his past stats against different hitters in the lineup. He's been very good against those in the top and heart of the order, but bad against the bottom 3rd. The most likely reason why is that he loses concentration constantly and just doesn't respect the lower 3rd.

In the bullpen, his focus would always be high, he would constantly be concentrating...that to go along with some solid stuff on the mound - he could be damn good from the bullpen. All he has to do is go 1 inning at a time. Many people feel, myself included, that if he goes 1-2 innings at a time, he will be a fairly effective pitcher.

If you don't like our pen -- GO root for cleveland, TB, or KC -- Then comeback and tell me we havea bad pen.

See, I was under the impression that Sox had actual plans of being one of the only 2 teams that make it to ALCS, and as such are gonna have to put a wholalot of '0's up on the board......against all kinds of line-ups in all kinds of pressure-cooker situations...over the next 5.5 months.

But now that it turns out that our pen favorably compares to that of the scum of ALC/ALE, I feel much better.

I don't have the stats on me, but I've seen his past stats against different hitters in the lineup.  He's been very good against those in the top and heart of the order, but bad against the bottom 3rd.  The most likely reason why is that he loses concentration constantly and just doesn't respect the lower 3rd.

In the bullpen, his focus would always be high, he would constantly be concentrating...that to go along with some solid stuff on the mound - he could be damn good from the bullpen.  All he has to do is go 1 inning at a time.  Many people feel, myself included, that if he goes 1-2 innings at a time, he will be a fairly effective pitcher.

I feel that if he learns to concentrate at all times, he'd be an effective starter.

ditto.  Trollery at is reachingist.

Just why is it "Trollery at is reachingist,"? Really, you should provide reasons to back up the accusations that you make. There is nothing wrong with the initial post to this thread which made a perfectly legitimate point that the Sox bullpen has a tendency to give up too many inherited runners.

I feel that if he learns to concentrate at all times, he'd be an effective starter.

I don't think its just a matter on concentration why Danny has had trouble as a SP. He has only 2 pitches he can throw for strikes. That can work once through the lineup. But as hitters see Danny the 2nd and 3rd times up, they tee off on him. Fatigue may also be a factor, as he doesn't hit his spots after a few innings.

Most bullpen guys who were starters were moved because they didn't have a quality 3rd pitch. Wright fits in this category. Danny could be great in the set up role. He can throw his big curve for a strike, even when behind in the count, ala Flash Gordon, LaTroy Hawkins. And he can air out his FB for a batter or two, reaching back for something extra as he doesn't have to conserve himself for 5, 6 innings.

Wright could have a long career in the bullpen. As a SP, though, I think his days are numbered.

I don't think its just a matter on concentration why Danny has had trouble as a SP. He has only 2 pitches he can throw for strikes. That can work once through the lineup. But as hitters see Danny the 2nd and 3rd times up, they tee off on him. Fatigue may also be a factor, as he doesn't hit his spots after a few innings.

Most bullpen guys who were starters were moved because they didn't have a quality 3rd pitch. Wright fits in this category. Danny could be great in the set up role. He can throw his big curve for a strike, even when behind in the count, ala Flash Gordon, LaTroy Hawkins. And he can air out his FB for a batter or two, reaching back for something extra as he doesn't have to conserve himself for 5, 6 innings.

Wright could have a long career in the bullpen. As a SP, though, I think his days are numbered.

You may be right. That's what we are trying to find out. I hope they give him a legitimate shot at it though. It would be a shame to "waste" a potentially good starter.

You may be right.  That's what we are trying to find out.  I hope they give him a legitimate shot at it though.  It would be a shame to "waste" a potentially good starter.

I think a lot of us are worried that if Wright is traded to another team he would actually use his ability and become a good starter or closer e.g Kip Wells.

I think a lot of us are worried that if Wright is traded to another team he would actually use his ability and become a good starter or closer e.g Kip Wells.

If Wright doesn't work out as a starter, I don't think many people are saying to trade him. Danny wouldn't have much value anyway. He would be tried in the 'pen first.

You may be right.  That's what we are trying to find out.  I hope they give him a legitimate shot at it though.  It would be a shame to "waste" a potentially good starter.

It looks like Danny is being given a fair shot this year. Is today going to be his 4th start? I say 5, 6 starts tops and the Sox should know if Danny is OK for the 5th spot. Danny will be on a regular schedule in these next starts. Ozzie and the staff want Danny to have no excuses.

Just why is it "Trollery at is reachingist,"?  Really, you should provide reasons to back up the accusations that you make.  There is nothing wrong with the initial post to this thread which made a perfectly legitimate point that the Sox bullpen has a tendency to give up too many inherited runners.

lol, CRector, that website in your sig. Are you the only one who goes to it? I saw a total of four comments on it. That's pretty pathetic. :lol:

And, explain to me why Jon Garland is "lazy"?

Guest JimH

That's the web site he's a "moderator" at, oops I mean Chief Editor, oops I mean the person who takes all his info from here, places it over there and then trashes SoxTalk in the process.

LOL.

Just why is it "Trollery at is reachingist,"?  Really, you should provide reasons to back up the accusations that you make.  There is nothing wrong with the initial post to this thread which made a perfectly legitimate point that the Sox bullpen has a tendency to give up too many inherited runners.

Hmm mostly because you are trying to piss off people here so that they go to your site, where only you post. Is that enough? :headshake

Like I said, Inherited runners scored:

May 1 Game 2: Inherited runners 6, 3 scored

May 2: Inherited runners 2, 1 scored

Our bullpen is good but it still lacks the ability to come in and close the door. I looked all over the internet but couldn't find how many blown saves we have. I saw on FSN that Marte is 2/5 in saves.