Tips for vendors

The Beast

Do you tip vendors at US Cellular Field?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you tip vendors at US Cellular Field?

• Yes
    • No
    • Occasionally

For beer I tip, especially if I'm sitting in the upper deck. They can go through a lot of s*** when dealing with the drunks. Last year it was $4.75 for a beer, so I can't see why anyone wouldn't mind giving their spare quarter to the vendor. Besides, I'm not 21 yet. :D

I tip EVERY time.

To me, a vendor is no different than a waiter or a bartender.

If I don't want to tip, or am running low on cash, I go to the concession stand to get stuff for myself.

And even then, if there's a tip jar, I'll try to do a little somethin'.

I've worked in foodservice in the past ( the WAAAAY distant past, but still... ) and I remember what it's like to depend on tips.

Down here we actually pretty much neva tip, dunno why, but that's just the perception. When I was ova in Malaysia, my Dad and his boss tipped every meal we had pretty good and I think it's like that in otha countries besides ours. Mayb we're just stingy. ;) :lol:

I tip EVERY time.

To me, a vendor is no different than a waiter or a bartender.

If I don't want to tip, or am running low on cash, I go to the concession stand to get stuff for myself.

And even then, if there's a tip jar, I'll try to do a little somethin'.

I've worked in foodservice in the past ( the WAAAAY distant past, but still... ) and I remember what it's like to depend on tips.

[rant]

Wow. I can't believe the amount of "no's" I know for a fact that these people don't make THAT much money at all, unless it is the Cubs in town. These people bust their ass, and have to buy the stuff they vend ahead of time, to sell it. If they don't sell it, they get stuck with it. The only people who make a lot of money is the team and the concession companies. Not tipping these guys because the concessions are too expensive is only hurting the average Joe. That is like going to the Chop House and not tipping the waiter because the food was so expensive. No one would ever do that right? It isn't any different at the ballpark. These people make their living off of tips. Essentially the little bit they get in comissions, pays their taxes. If you think the concessions are too expensive, don't buy them. That hurts the people who need to be hurt. Anyone who doesn't tip these guys should be ashamed.

[/rant]

Having sold beer at Soldiers for Bears games during college, both in the concessions and as a vendor in the stands, I can tell all you cheap-ass MF-ers to :fyou :fyou

Not a particularly fun job and not all that high-paying either. Personally I did it for the rad polyester uniforms. :D

When I go to a Sox game with a big family group outing, we tip really well really early on, and we are the first stop on the way out into the stands for the beer guy and the Margarity guy for the rest of the game.

It never even crossed my mind to tip the vendor. I mean if i buy something thats 3.75, I'll give him 4 bucks and tell him to keep the change but that's all. Besides, IM only 14. My parents or big sister usually buy me food at the games. So, tommorrow, when I go to the game, I will surely tip the vendor.

I don't generally buy from vendors, nothing against them, but there only seem to be beer and margarita vendors near where I sit and an occasional hot dog vendor. My purchases are done in the beginning of the game - 1 bottle of Diet Pepsi (if Brian is with, a bottle of Mountain Dew) and a brat or a kosher dog (Brian usually gets a brat or a hotdog).

...and not to brag on myself, but here's my own personal tip guide:

if I have 0 cents to 50 cents change comin' back, I add another buck.

over 50 cents change, that's the tip, unless I'm buying like 3 or 4 of something, then I add another buck anyway.

Besides feeling good about helping a guy ( or gal ) out a little, I find that the vendors have a GOOD memory about who tips pretty well, and will keep you supplied nicely throughout the event.

Sure, it adds a bit of cash to your outlay, but at ballpark prices what's the difference?

[rant]

Wow.  I can't believe the amount of "no's"  I know for a fact that these people don't make THAT much money at all, unless it is the Cubs in town.  These people bust their ass, and have to buy the stuff they vend ahead of time, to sell it.  If they don't sell it, they get stuck with it.  The only people who make a lot of money is the team and the concession companies.  Not tipping these guys because the concessions are too expensive is only hurting the average Joe.  That is like going to the Chop House and not tipping the waiter because the food was so expensive.  No one would ever do that right?  It isn't any different at the ballpark.  These people make their living off of tips.  Essentially the little bit they get in comissions, pays their taxes.  If you think the concessions are too expensive, don't buy them.  That hurts the people who need to be hurt.  Anyone who doesn't tip these guys should be ashamed.

[/rant]

:headbang

I can't believe all the no's either. I tip at least $1 each time. I'd be ashamed if I didn't. Besides the beer cups are bigger from the vender - less chance for spillage!

Always!! I just tell the guy when he is counting change....just give me 3 bucks back or whatever it is to leave him with at least dollar, but usually dollar and change. THEY BUST ASS. The beer guys bust ass anyway. I'm not sure how it works for the other vendors. I do agree though the prices are f***in ridiculous and it makes ya not want to tip. I think it's 5.50 a beer?? So you by a round with 4 guys it's 22 bucks. Tip it's 23-24. If you do that twice you just spent almost 50.00 on beer...add in your ticket and a hotdog or something and it costs you 100.00 to go to a game. Beer prices make me f***in sick!!!! :fyou :fyou

Great thread Beastley. I have never bought anything from vendors at Yankmee or Shea Stadium, I have only bought from the concession stand. We usally bring food. But as far as I can remember I usally don't see people tipping vendors. :angry:

Always do, but I rarely buy from the vendors. I usually get up off my arse and wait in the lines.

Those people work their ass off, and most of the money they make comes from tips -- I usually get pissed off when the people sitting around me don't tip the vendor.

I always tip the guys lugging the stuff through the stands. The people in and on the concorse I usually don't. Do they all get paid the same? I see the people in the concorse as to being much like a worker at McDonalds, and I don't tip them. Am I wrong? Do the people in the concorse get paid the same amount as the people slaving with the stuff on their backs?

Never buy from venders, so no. All I normally get at the game is a kosher dog and maybe something else. If I'm hungry I go to White Castle or McDonald's afterwards. the Kosher dogs were $4+ this year so I'm not gonna spend my hard earned money on too much of that. Or, I will also just stop at a hot dog shop outside of the park somewhere.