James Baldwin

TLAK

Happy to see Jimmy called up by the Mets. He'll start for them tonight against the D-Backs. He was 3-2 with a 2.90 ERA in Triple-A.

Good to see him back in the bigs, he always showed a lot of heart when he with the Sox.

I hope he does well.

Ditto!!

Yesteray at my Sister's I played an inning of Tripple Play 2000 and I was the Sox and Baldwin was pitching :lol: ..... I havent played that game in 3+ years and the day I do Baldwin gets called up. :o

Ditto!! 

Yesteray at my Sister's I played an inning of Tripple Play 2000 and I was the Sox and Baldwin was pitching :lol..... I havent played that game in 3+ years and the day I do Baldwin gets called up. :o

Triple Play 2000. Was that the baseball game where u could hit home runs in a living room and u were real small or sumthin? :lol: :huh

Triple Play 2000. Was that the baseball game where u could hit home runs in a living room and u were real small or sumthin?  :lol:  :huh

Hit homers in Living Rooms??? :lol: No I dont think TP 2000 is the one your thinking about, son!!

Ditto!! 

Yesteray at my Sister's I played an inning of Tripple Play 2000 and I was the Sox and Baldwin was pitching :lol..... I havent played that game in 3+ years and the day I do Baldwin gets called up. :o

i remember playin that game with the sox and jb being on the team. and yes it was the game where u could hit home runs with the greatest of ease

James Baldwin was a mediocre pitcher even when at his best.

The only redeemable quality is that he pitched a great game in Game 3 in 2000 while injured -- he gave up 1E even though it should have been no ER if Ray Durham could field worth a damn.

James Baldwin was a mediocre pitcher even when at his best.

I agree! It was almost impossible to watch a game where that guy pitched and he didn't give up a homerun or 2 or 3. He seemed famous for hanging one over the center of the plate at any given time!

Again, a small saving grace is that he had a decent season when it mattered (1st half of 2000 when the division was basically won, JB made an All-Star team) and actually SHOWED UP in the playoffs while clearly not 100% health-wise.

Speaking of which.....Playoffs

Showed up:

Durham - 875 OPS, sac bunt

Valentin - 917 OPS, 3 steals, sac bunt

Perry - 1056 OPS

Baldwin - no ER if defense makes the play.

Barcelo - 2 inn, no hits, no runs

Didn't show up:

Thomas - 308 OPS :puke

Ordonez - 670 OPS

Konerko - 100 OPS :puke

Lee - 264 OPS :puke

Singleton - 444 OPS :puke

Foulke 11+ ERA :puke

Nice to know.

Let me restate my point about Foulke and big games.

Yeah, but how come you don't mention the other 4 current Sox on the "choke" list?

When people say the bats didn't show up in 2000 ALDS, what they really mean is that the 4 overswinging boppers in the middle of the line-up got exploited by playoff-quality pitching and choked.

Yeah, but how come you don't mention the other 4 current Sox on the "choke" list?

When people say the bats didn't show up in 2000 ALDS, what they really mean is that the 4 overswinging boppers in the middle of the line-up got exploited by playoff-quality pitching and choked.

The reason I didn't mention it is because i agree with you. What fun is that? :lol:

I can remember when James Baldwin and Scott Ruffcorn were "untouchables." I'll bet that the Sox wish they could revisit some of the trade offers made on those two NOW.

And how's Larry Thomas, by the way? Another so-called "untouchable."

:bang

And iirc he was traded not because he was bad but because he wanted/made too much money.....Stupid, sexy Sox management. :headshake  :lol:

I can think of a lot of pitchers that wanted long term contracts, and ended up falling apart after leaving Chicago.

We could go with Wilson Alvarez, Alex Fernandez, Jack McDowell, Jason Bere, and James Baldwin. Can you imagine if we had given any of these guys the money and years they wanted? The team seems to know when a pitcher is done. That is why I am not to upset Colon got away for the price he wanted.

I agree! It was almost impossible to watch a game where that guy pitched and he didn't give up a homerun or 2 or 3. He seemed famous for hanging one over the center of the plate at any given time!

And while watching him.. you had to bring a pillow for a nap in the 5th. The guy is slower than Konerko!

When they traded JB, a lot of guys (Thomas, Durham) were pissed, iirc.  I guess he was a good clubhouse guy.  Mediocre pitcher, though.  I'm glad they were smart enough not to throw big bucks at him.

JB was (and I'm sure still is) a great person. But ditto on the $$ issue. He had no drive or motivation. He expected the fans to embrace him yet he was not the most social person to them.