Old Posters lurking around the boards

aboz56

You read the boards without registering. If people don't want to be seen this is what they will do, or if they are just checking out the place before registering.

No, that is wrong. When you log in, there is a box you can check if you want to be viewed as online or not. You can still post etc, but only the mods and admins can see your online.

I could careless if people use it. It is hypocritical, but it doesn't bother me as long as they don't, well, bother me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I only concern myself with actual posts. Lurkers and anomynous viewers don't even exist until they post on the board. I don't think about it nor do I worry about it. It has no effect on my enjoyment of Soxtalk.

Abooz, I'm pretty sure I know what member's your talking about, but that's not the point. For me I know i've been anyomous a couple times because when I log in it makes me anon. and I logged out and make sure I dont hit that box and i'm still anon. After a couple of minnutes it's fixed's though. But i've never tried to be anon. Personally I know that if I ever wanted to be anon. that something is wrong because if i'm hiding from this site that I shoulnd't be looking at the site. But I feel if a member/ex-member wants to be anon. then so be it, reading and posting are 2 different things. Like YASNY anon. members never affect how much I enjoy Soxtalk. :)

Aboz has a right to his opinion, get off of him.

IMO, it's a bit hypocritical for people to say, "I'm never coming back", but then turn around and view anonymously. Live with what you did.

i agree a lot with that.

But also, i am an admin on another site as well and i always wonder why some people choose to be "hidden". Sometimes i understand but for others i just dont get why they chose to do so. Not that they dont have that right, i just dont understand it

Not that they dont have that right, i just dont understand it

I don't know either, though CW brought up a point that baseball players (minor on major) may be browsing anonymously to remain low key. Sufficient reasoning, I suppose. Even though it escapes me why someone would chose to create a handle that only draws attention to themselves.

I'll expose one anonymous member only because its fairly obvious, and I have NO idea why he continues to do it: Brandofan. Buddy, just remember you aren't in Russia anymore.....no need to remain hidden as so many of your disgruntled, post-communism scientists have been. :D

People, people, people.

This is an online message board.

This is not your doctor's office, nor your lawyer's office.

There are no secrets pertaining to national security being exchanged.

This is not that "massage" parlor where you get your "sore back" worked on 4 times a week.

If anonymous people want to hang around here and read cw and soxinpa's arguments over bible passages, or that tony90873534262413314524327 wants the Sox to trade for Shawn Boskie, or prawn queen's Carolina Hurricanes lamentations, who friggin' cares? They said they wouldnt come back, and now they have, but anonymously? Oh no, call in the SoxTalk lawyers, some strict legal agreement has been breached!

Perspective, compadres.

As BE GOOD noted, there is a technical glitch that logs people on as anon. by default as well. One of the computers I post on retains my login info but regularly logs me on as anon., despite that option's checkbox not being clicked. I tried to figure out the issue but gave up after a bit because it doesn't seem all that important.

There's another board that I frequent that I have chosen to always be anonymous. It's a board where a lot of debate takes place and if someone poses a question my way and I don't feel like responding just then, well, being anonymous they don't know I'm online and I can answer at my own convenience. I've never really thought about it as a bad thing, or sneaky thing, just an option on the software that I like.

As far as someone leaving the site and vowing never to return, they probably meant never return to post. This site has a wealth of Sox info and any hardcore Sox fan would miss that info but wouldn't necessarily miss interacting with some of the assholes who post on these boards. With that said, I don't know why they would enter under their old ID as opposed to coming in as an unregistered guest. May just be a cookie still stored on the computer.

As BE GOOD noted, there is a technical glitch that logs people on as anon. by default as well.  One of the computers I post on retains my login info but regularly logs me on as anon., despite that option's checkbox not being clicked.  I tried to figure out the issue but gave up after a bit because it doesn't seem all that important.

oh sure and you expect us to believe that "Mr. Something to hide" :lol:

I'm just wondering, but are you also checking any PMs they may send for content?

oh sure and you expect us to believe that "Mr. Something to hide"   :lol:

I'm just wondering, but are you also checking any PMs they may send for content?

They can't. Unless they go onto the server and get into the database, which is, trust me, a huge pain in the ass. Even if there were problems on the board that I run, there's no way I would get in the sequel database to see PM's.

Through the board itself, the admins can't read pm's etc. but through the database they could but it's highly unlikely, and only those with complete server access to boot, which is not many of the admins.

There was a poster on my Red Sox message board I attend who would do this same thing. He's an avid Sox fan, but everytime even the slightest thing went wrong, he'd not only throw in the towel, his house, his car and everything he represented was thrown in aswell.

Pedro pitches bad on opening day, seasons over.

The point is, no one can just throw away countless hours spent with these people, and regardless of how many times they give up, and how many times people tell themselves they'll never come back, they always will.

Personally I don't think old people should be allowed to post here, let alone lurk...

How old.. 45.. 50..?

And is that rule interchangable..? Like.. those that act like 5 year olds.. can those be banned, too..?

:lol: