Official Ortiz/Jones ATL Rumors Thread

redandwhite

A poster on WSI claims that Levine said earlier that the Braves are interested in Magglio, and everyone there had a crap attack. I started to laugh, just because they are interested in Magglio doesn't mean the Sox are talking about trading him. I'm sure every team in MLB would be very interested in having Ordonez on their team.

It just shows how desperate we are for some new players to give this team a spark it needs.

Kinda sad... :headshake

CWSOX45

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 9:50 this morning, I heard Baum and Rosenbloom on the Score, and Olken, on the update mentioned that this rumor was close to being done, he said it has been talked about for the last 24 hours. The names he mentioned was Ortiz for Rauch and two position players from the minors. After the update, either Baum or Rosenbloom mentioned that Mags would be traded for a #1 starter as well. If I can get Drew or A. Jones, Smoltz and Ortiz, I would be up for that. I don't know about Moyer, 41 years old? I think I would rather have Ben Sheets then Moyer, or the other Ortiz from Anaheim. :fthecubs

You act like Drew hits consistently over 300 while Jones is under 250.

Over their careers they have had very similar ba and obp, with Jones being the more durable and better defensive player.

In any given season I would expect Jones to out produce Drew, and to say Drew is a better fit just because he is a lefty is not really true.

Where would Drew fit? 5th? 2nd?

Where as Jones would go into the 2 hole, and get the same sort of pitches Uribe has been popping up.

Cept for Jones hits those pitches out of the park.

SB

Guys I am away from a radio.

What did Levine say from the clubhouse?

As specific as you can, thanks!

Jim they're talking to Chris Bodin right now in the Cubs clubhouse.

They say Levine is talking to Andy McPhail... :huh

CWSOX45

Jim they're talking to Chris Bodin right now in the Cubs clubhouse.

They say Levine is talking to Andy McPhail... :huh

CWSOX45

heh, on you're home for White Sox baseball! :puke

I'm sure Kenny is on with Pat and Ron on WGN to. :puke

At 9:50 this morning, I heard Baum and Rosenbloom on the Score, and Olken, on the update mentioned that this rumor was close to being done, he said it has been talked about for the last 24 hours. The names he mentioned was Ortiz for Rauch and two position players from the minors. After the update, either Baum or Rosenbloom mentioned that Mags would be traded for a #1 starter as well. If I can get Drew or A. Jones, Smoltz and Ortiz, I would be up for that. I don't know about Moyer, 41 years old? I think I would rather have Ben Sheets then Moyer, or the other Ortiz from Anaheim. :fthecubs

Yeah...I'd rather have Clemens and Randy Johnson too. Reinsdorf is not gonna let KW spend the kind of money these players would cost us.

Dream On!

LMAO!

I hope the Braves dont think its gonna be Maggs for Ortiz??

Man if that happened I would personally kick KW in the sack

I'd do that deal someone on this board came up with, with Drew, Ortiz and I'd say a damn good prospect coming our way. Drew is having a monster year and we all know he's really talented and he would supply a left handed bat for the lineup.

You act like Drew hits consistently over 300 while Jones is under 250.

Over their careers they have had very similar ba and obp, with Jones being the more durable and better defensive player.

In any given season I would expect Jones to out produce Drew, and to say Drew is a better fit just because he is a lefty is not really true.

Where would Drew fit? 5th? 2nd?

Where as Jones would go into the 2 hole, and get the same sort of pitches Uribe has been popping up.

Cept for Jones hits those pitches out of the park.

SB

Drew would go into the two hole or the five hole.

BTW - Drew's and Jones' career OBP and AVG similar? I think not.

Drew Career OBP: .381

Jones Career OBP: .341

Drew Career AVG: .283

Jones Career AVG: .267

So no, Drew beats Jones in both. And him being lefty makes it all the sweeter.

No I was considering that pretty similar, seeing as all the other stats I pointed out were so drastically in Jones' favor.

(Averages vs Right Handed Pitcher over last 3 years)

.267 .340 .500 .840

.293 .386 .529 .915

That is what you are chosing Jones over Drew for.

Now think of all the risks associated with Drew.

Think about the fact hes a Boras client on I believe the last year of his deal.

So we are trading Maggs for a rent a right fielder?

Count me out, Id trade some prospects Colorado's way and get Larry Walker, or some other lefty than trading one of our best players just to fill an immediate need.

Jones will fill a long term position CF, and we can get a lefty in free agency in the Ibanez mold for cheap.

Where as CF's who hit 30+ hr, will always come at a huge price.

Buy low, sell high.

Buying Drew now is at its peak, Jones is at his lowest.

If this was a stock, youd have to put your money in Jones, there just is no reason to believe that Drew will keep up the pace and Jones wont turn it around.

SB

Holy s***, this hole thread is very interesting. First off I'd like t state I have absolutely no problem with the Sox dealing Maggs. Who knows what the supposed packages are, but if the Sox get two very good pitchers and a good hitter (lefty) out of the deal then I'll be exstatic. Its obvious changes have to be made.

I really hope today is the day something goes down. I'd hate to lose Maggs, but this club can score without him, it can't pitch with him or without him and pitching is what they need and he's the piece they can dangle to help get them a good pitching staff.

JD Drew is a LH Power hitter who also hits for average...

Drew is also the best defensive RF in NL and is a good defensive CF. I hope y'all loved Gload's and Daubach's performance in OF in the last 2 years. :lol:

With the way ball carries to LCF on our park, that OPS will jump to 1000. Put him 5th in the line-up and Maggs sees better pitches. Lee will have to go back to the 2-hole, of course.

He makes 4 Mill this year.

No I was considering that pretty similar, seeing as all the other stats I pointed out were so drastically in Jones' favor.

(Averages vs Right Handed Pitcher over last 3 years)

.267 .340 .500 .840

.293 .386 .529 .915

That is what you are chosing Jones over Drew for.

Now think of all the risks associated with Drew.

Think about the fact hes a Boras client on I believe the last year of his deal.

So we are trading Maggs for a rent a right fielder?

Count me out, Id trade some prospects Colorado's way and get Larry Walker, or some other lefty than trading one of our best players just to fill an immediate need.

Jones will fill a long term position CF, and we can get a lefty in free agency in the Ibanez mold for cheap.

Where as CF's who hit 30+ hr, will always come at a huge price.

Buy low, sell high.

Buying Drew now is at its peak, Jones is at his lowest.

If this was a stock, youd have to put your money in Jones, there just is no reason to believe that Drew will keep up the pace and Jones wont turn it around.

SB

Why is there no reason to think he won't keep it up? For the first time, he's actually staying healthy for a while - IMO he can and will keep it up.

We don't need Jones. He doesn't hit for a high enough average, low OBP, and he's a high homer/RBI guy. We already have that. We need to get away from that. We need more table-setters, high OBP/high AVG guys...

Levine says: The Braves are interested in Ordonez. Both sides are scouting each others players, Atlanta scouts were here for the past three days. Sox have scouts in Baltimore. Deal that could be expanded to 6 or 7 players if it goes through.

CWSOX45

Levine says: The Braves are interested in Ordonez. Both sides are scouting each others players, Atlanta scouts were here for the past three days. Sox have scouts in Baltimore. Deal that could be expanded to 6 or 7 players if it goes through.

CWSOX45

Could the Sox be giving up another regular player and going after Ortiz, Smolt and a hitter???

Sounds to me like this may not be a deal that includes minor leaguers or at least very many of them.

Wonderful- trade top prospects to rent a slightly above average pitcher.

It's called Ritchey Redux.

The astros traded one prospect and an overrated closer for an all star center-fielder

One thing, ORtiz is signed for another year I think.

Wonderful- trade top prospects to rent a slightly above average pitcher.

It's called Ritchey Redux.

The astros traded one prospect and an overrated closer for an all star center-fielder

Your "average" pitcher won 21 games last year, was an all star and a Cy Young candidate.

I'd like a whole staff of "average" pitchers like Russ Ortiz!

All I know is that this is very interesting. Have their been any reports saying the Sox are looking to make two deals and not one, since their have also been the rumors about Fassero/Meche.

Hell, couldln't the Sox actually be moving Maggs to the Mariners for a package of Fassero/Piniero or Meche and something else? The Mariners haev long had interest in Maggs and then just work on getting Steve Finley to be the extra left handed bat in the lineup.