Official Ortiz/Jones ATL Rumors Thread

redandwhite

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who says we don't get a cheap RF before the deadline...ie Burnitz, Cruz, et al.

No to Burnitz. Guy struggles like hell away from Coors Field. Cruz is on fire one week, and can't get a hit the next. I don't think Tampa will trade him either.

What happens next season though, surely we can't go thru with that rotation again. At least giv Borch or Reed an oppurtunity to win the job in spring training against A-Row, while Gloady could be the bench guy.

Next season is a completely different story. I have no idea what direction this team is going in. As it is, we are looking at two starters that will be FA, and if we get Ortiz, he will be another. I have no doubt in my mind that both Borchard and Reed will be given a fair shot at the RF spot next year.

Steve...I just don't see it happening. I think Ozzie will want to stick with what we have.

No to Burnitz. Guy struggles like hell away from Coors Field. Cruz is on fire one week, and can't get a hit the next. I don't think Tampa will trade him either.

I think Cruz could easily be dealt. Gold glover last year, can hit from left and right sides. In order to let the kids play in TB, I think they will move him for some younger talent. I like Burnitz too, I want Cruz though. Slide him into the 2 slot, behind Uribe IMHO.

I think Cruz could easily be dealt. Gold glover last year, can hit from left and right sides. In order to let the kids play in TB, I think they will move him for some younger talent. I like Burnitz too, I want Cruz though. Slide him into the 2 slot, behind Uribe IMHO.

Unless they don't move Julio Lugo and move B.J Upton into the outfield instead, I don't see em tradin Cruz unless they get an offer they can't refuse. They both K a lot for a #2 hitter as well.

If Maggs is traded then KW lies again..........with that being said I would trade Maggs in a second for Ortiz and A.Jones, Jones is 27 and Gold Glove and has the potential to be the best CF the Sox have ever had, he has a 40 hr season in him ready to burst out a change of scenery would do him wonders.

Unless they don't move Julio Lugo and move B.J Upton into the outfield instead, I don't see em tradin Cruz unless they get an offer they can't refuse. They both K a lot for a #2 hitter as well.

Burnitz would be a number 6 or 7 hitter here. Tampa just brought that kid up (I forgot his name), and could throw Huff in the OF.

GM's are about a step below Politicians in that department.

I agree............... I just grow tired of KW's bulls***, I am above the board on everything I do or say attitude, when everyone knows he lies 50% of the time. :fthecubs

Burnitz would be a number 6 or 7 hitter here. Tampa just brought that kid up (I forgot his name), and could throw Huff in the OF.

Gathright i think you were referring to, they say he is one of the fastest in baseball if not the fastest.

Jones, on the other hand, makes $12.5 mill a year(which is quite obviously less then Maggs), and IS considered one of the best defensive CFers in the game, along with being clutch and having postseason experience(tons of it at that).

Actually, if Jones has proven anything in the last 3+ years is that he CANNOT hit with RO and RISP nearly as well as other "superstars" - this year he is hitting something like .200 with RO/RISP, esp with 2 outs.

His 2004 'Close and Late' is very good, but it's a small sample size - and in

2001-2003, his 'Close and Late' OPS is something like 600 - horrible for a player of anybody's caliber let alone Jones's. That's Royce Clayton territory.

This guy could be a stud supporting player, but if you're gonna expect him to fill in Magglio's shoes, you're gonna be REALLY disappointed. He is mentally weak to be a super-star slugger, to be perfectly honest.

Furthermore, don't expect Jones to steal more than 8-10 bases a year either - he ain't the same baserunner he was in his early 20's. Same as Maggs basically.

Yeah, he can go get it in the OF, but so can Aaron Rowand albeit not quite as well.

Why should Sox get Jones again if he can't out-produce Aaron Rowand who makes league minimum again?

And Russ Ortiz will be more than welcome in our starting rotation, but not if it costs us Magglio - this guy is on pace to 140 RBI if you extrapolate his numbers to full season, and, who knows, he may have a KILLER 2nd half trying to earn a big contract in the off-season.........What's Andruw Jones's incentive to bust his ass again?

f*** no on the trade, in other words - and I've always considered Magglio overrrated, mind you.

I should add that if Sox were hell-bent on getting a LH bat, JD Drew would be a killer bargain.

Atlanta knows that with Boras they won't resign him, so who knows, if they fall out of contention.......Stebe Finley is a nice back-up option.

I like Rowand and all, but he couldn't hold Jones freaking jock strap.

That liner by Gerut that Rowand caught while running on wet grass is as good as it gets as far as jump and route go. Once Aaron gets to play CF for a few years, he'll be a pretty effin' good CF (think Kotsay but faster) -- not as good as Jones, but not a "jock-carrier" either.

He won't be making 13 Mill, either.

KW seems hellbent on trading for a plus defensive CF after the Carl Everett situation from last year. Drew would be nicer, but there's no room for him unless we trade Maggs or Carlos in our outfield. Steve Finley wants to go to San Diego, and considering they missed out on Carlos Beltran, they'll be very hot after him now.

I don't if anyone posted this link from ATL

http://www.ajc.com/braves/content/sports/b...04/27notes.html

I'd have to say yes to a Ortiz + Jones for Rauch and Maggs deal.

All things considered, getting a GG CFer like Jones would be hard to pass up. Esp. watching the Sox OF defense for the last few years. Getting an everyday CFer who can: steal a hit or two / keep runners from advancing/ get an outfield assist each game would be huge. The Sox don't have SO pitchers. With the pitching staff the way it is, the Sox need a top defensive CFer who can make plays in left and right center. Even at the expense of some offense lost [Maggs]. Jones may need a fire lit underneath him. Yet he's responded well to Bobby Cox in the past. Ozzie can do the same. Wasn't Ozzie with Jones in ATL? Also, the sox players won't let Jones take plays off. And here, he doesn't have to be THE superstar who carries a team with his bat. Just a guy who carries the team with his glove, and hits for his career avgs [.274, 350 OBP, .500 SLG].

Maggs is a risk this year with his knee. No doubt he'll be a step or two slower when he comes back. He could be lost for the rest of the year and the Sox would get nothing in return. No doubt Maggs will also be slow getting his hitting back as well. We're talking about late July for Maggs to getting back to his customary .300.

The biggest reason though--Reed, borchard and Rowand are better corner OFers than Cfers. While they might be avg. Cf'ers. They would be above avg RF'ers.

This would be a deal for the future, and to help the Sox win now. My guess is ATL won't trade Ortiz away this early unless a team is willing to take on JOnes' contract

Interesting to note is the poll on the AJC link, with 54% of Brave fans wanting a blockbuster trade. Reading from the ATL mlb.com boards, they seem to want Maggs bat more than Jones' D. They seem to think Drew can play CF. And it would free up money to resign Drew next year and get someone else.

Deal may include Andruw

By DAVID O'BRIEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 6/26/04

Baltimore -- The Braves might be close to trading pitcher Russ Ortiz to the Chicago White Sox, and there are rumors the deal could possibly expand into a blockbuster involving outfielders Andruw Jones and Sox slugger Magglio Ordonez.

The Jones and Ordonez portion, which was making the rounds in Chicago on Saturday, couldn't be confirmed by reliable sources with either team. But a White Sox official confirmed there have been ongoing discussions about Ortiz.

The Braves would likely get 6-foot-11 pitcher Jon Rauch in any deal for Ortiz. Rauch had his best major league start Thursday against the Cubs with Braves scout and special assistant Jim Fregosi in attendance.

The Braves have been offered Rauch and a couple of outfield prospects for Ortiz. However, general manager John Schuerholz indicated Friday, without talking about specific discussions, that he wouldn't make a deal that wouldn't help the Braves now.

Trading Ortiz for Rauch and prospects would not help the Braves now, and could send a signal to fans and team members that the Braves are looking to next year.

There has been nothing from Schuerholz or manager Bobby Cox to indicate that. They still believe the Braves can win a 13th consecutive division title.

That's why acquiring Ordonez would make some sense. He's making $14 million this season and can become a free agent this winter, and he has let the White Sox know he wants a four-year deal worth $14 million a year. They want him at about $12.5 million annually.

So if they don't think they can re-sign Ordonez, the White Sox could justify paying the three years and $39 million that remain on Jones' contract after this season. Jones is making $12 million this year.

The White Sox want sizzle to compete with the Cubs for attention in Chicago, and Jones' reputation as a six-time Gold Glove winner and consistent 34-35 home run hitter has sizzle, even if those who see him every day see his overall performance declining.

The Braves need a big bat and clutch hitter, and there aren't many better than Ordonez. He's a .308 career hitter who averaged 32 homers and 118 RBIs the past five seasons, with at least a .380 on-base percentage for three consecutive seasons.

He was batting .311 with eight homers and 34 RBIs in 42 games before having arthroscopic knee surgery, and he's expected back in about a week.

With the money the Braves could save by trading Jones, they could possibly afford to re-sign Ordonez or J.D. Drew. Ordonez has played almost exclusively in right field, but does have some experience in center. Drew is exceptional in center or right field.

Rauch, 25, hasn't developed as the White Sox hoped, but remains a prospect in part because of his extreme height and wing span. He doesn't throw sidearm like 6-10 Randy Johnson of the Diamondbacks, and the arm angles Rausch presents are a unique challenge.

He has a 3-2 record and 6.51 ERA in 10 games (eight starts) for the White Sox, two this season and the others in 2002.

Wow. That's all I can say. I've been reading this thread and it has been a very interesting discussion with some very good points made. Honestly, if the Sox can make a Magglio/Rauch deal for Ortiz/Jones-or-Drew I feel they have to pull the trigger. As to my preference between Jones or Drew, I feel that in the short term, Drew fills our current needs better than Jones. In the long term, it's hard to pass up a guy who make all our pitchers that much better for the next five years or so. I mean, a CF'er with Jones defensive abilities comes along once every millenium or so. He makes Tori Hunter look like a caddy being compared to Tiger Woods.

I think I'd make the deal for Jones, then try and add a quality LH bat for the RF slot. I think I'd try to pry a quality RH reliever out of the Braves, in addition to these two. Though, it won't be Smoltz. I just don't see Smoltz accepting a trade at this point of his career.

Wow.  That's all I can say.  I've been reading this thread and it has been a very interesting discussion with some very good points made.  Honestly, if the Sox can make a Magglio/Rauch deal for Ortiz/Jones-or-Drew I feel they have to pull the trigger.  As to my preference between Jones or Drew, I feel that in the short term, Drew fills our current needs better than Jones.  In the long term, it's hard to pass up a guy who make all our pitchers that much better for the next five years or so.  I mean, a CF'er with Jones defensive abilities comes along once every millenium or so.  He makes Tori Hunter look like a caddy being compared to Tiger Woods. 

I think I'd make the deal for Jones, then try and add a quality LH bat for the RF slot.  I think I'd try to pry a quality RH reliever out of the Braves, in addition to these two.  Though, it won't be Smoltz.  I just don't see Smoltz accepting a trade at this point of his career.

Chris Reitsma could be a possibility, but the Braves gave up two good pitching prospects in Jung Bong and Bubba Nelson so I can't see them trading him. Of course if we trade for Andruw Jones and we go afta Steve Finley, will he accept playing in LF or RF if we trade Carlos or Maggs? :o

Chris Reitsma could be a possibility, but the Braves gave up two good pitching prospects in Jung Bong and Bubba Nelson so I can't see them trading him. Of course if we trade for Andruw Jones and we go afta Steve Finley, will he accept playing in LF or RF if we trade Carlos or Maggs?  :o

If we get Jones, we wouldn't have to limit our LH bat options to a CF'er, though I feel Finley could handle RF quite well.

Deal may include Andruw

By DAVID O'BRIEN

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 6/26/04

Baltimore -- The Braves might be close to trading pitcher Russ Ortiz to the Chicago White Sox, and there are rumors the deal could possibly expand into a blockbuster involving outfielders Andruw Jones and Sox slugger Magglio Ordonez.

The Jones and Ordonez portion, which was making the rounds in Chicago on Saturday, couldn't be confirmed by reliable sources with either team. But a White Sox official confirmed there have been ongoing discussions about Ortiz.

The Braves would likely get 6-foot-11 pitcher Jon Rauch in any deal for Ortiz. Rauch had his best major league start Thursday against the Cubs with Braves scout and special assistant Jim Fregosi in attendance.

The Braves have been offered Rauch and a couple of outfield prospects for Ortiz. However, general manager John Schuerholz indicated Friday, without talking about specific discussions, that he wouldn't make a deal that wouldn't help the Braves now.

Trading Ortiz for Rauch and prospects would not help the Braves now, and could send a signal to fans and team members that the Braves are looking to next year.

There has been nothing from Schuerholz or manager Bobby Cox to indicate that. They still believe the Braves can win a 13th consecutive division title.

That's why acquiring Ordonez would make some sense. He's making $14 million this season and can become a free agent this winter, and he has let the White Sox know he wants a four-year deal worth $14 million a year. They want him at about $12.5 million annually.

So if they don't think they can re-sign Ordonez, the White Sox could justify paying the three years and $39 million that remain on Jones' contract after this season. Jones is making $12 million this year.

The White Sox want sizzle to compete with the Cubs for attention in Chicago, and Jones' reputation as a six-time Gold Glove winner and consistent 34-35 home run hitter has sizzle, even if those who see him every day see his overall performance declining.

The Braves need a big bat and clutch hitter, and there aren't many better than Ordonez. He's a .308 career hitter who averaged 32 homers and 118 RBIs the past five seasons, with at least a .380 on-base percentage for three consecutive seasons.

He was batting .311 with eight homers and 34 RBIs in 42 games before having arthroscopic knee surgery, and he's expected back in about a week.

With the money the Braves could save by trading Jones, they could possibly afford to re-sign Ordonez or J.D. Drew. Ordonez has played almost exclusively in right field, but does have some experience in center. Drew is exceptional in center or right field.

Rauch, 25, hasn't developed as the White Sox hoped, but remains a prospect in part because of his extreme height and wing span. He doesn't throw sidearm like 6-10 Randy Johnson of the Diamondbacks, and the arm angles Rausch presents are a unique challenge.

He has a 3-2 record and 6.51 ERA in 10 games (eight starts) for the White Sox, two this season and the others in 2002.

I'd have to say yes to that deal as well. We add on a starter that we desperately need plus a quality center fielder who can swing the bat as well and at a better price. Move AROW to right and we're good to go.

If we get Jones, we wouldn't have to limit our LH bat options to a CF'er, though I feel Finley could handle RF quite well.

Here are some more possible LH bats who will probably be available at the deadline.

Frank Catalanotto could be a real good option for a LH bat, I know beck72 brought him up once before. Only making $2,300,000 this season and can play most outfield spots and 2B as well.

Brad Wilkerson from the Expos. Earning $375,000 but not having a real good season numbers wise hitting .239 with 12 HR's. Could be a productive #2 hitter for us though.

Daryle Ward from the Pirates. Came out of nowhere for the Pirates this year and is hitting .276 with 10 HR's. Doubt he'll keep it up for the rest of the season though.

Larry Bigbie from the Orioles. Orioles are struggling in last in the AL East. Desperate for pitching help, maybe Bigbie could be had. Only making $340,000 this season.