Available Catchers

CWSGuy406

Since we now have a rotation of Alomar-Burke-Davis behind the plate ( :puke ), we are going to need a catcher.

That got me thinking to who was available. I only thought of one, one who I've always liked and I brought up earlier in the year, but it was shot down, obviously because of Olivo's progression.

But now Olivo is gone.

What about Jason Kendall? IIRC he's in the last year of his contract, he's a great contact hitter, solid defensively. What about trying to swing a deal to aquire both Kendall and Meadows?

Thoughts?

Kendall makes $10 mill next year, $11 mill in 06, and $13 mill in 07.

Not happening.

Charles Johnson will be available(whether we want to visit that again or not), IRod could be(if we want to overpay...AGAIN), and I assume Johnny Estrada could be had as well.

There's those, and then we can just get a guy that has a cannon for an arm and just shuts down the oppostion(like Mo did). That's what I'd opt for...we have enough offense. We need a guy who has a very, very good arm behind the plate that also calls a good game.

Kendall makes $10 mill next year, $11 mill in 06, and $13 mill in 07.

Not happening.

Charles Johnson will be available(whether we want to visit that again or not), IRod could be(if we want to overpay...AGAIN), and I assume Johnny Estrada could be had as well.

There's those, and then we can just get a guy that has a cannon for an arm and just shuts down the oppostion(like Mo did).  That's what I'd opt for...we have enough offense.  We need a guy who has a very, very good arm behind the plate that also calls a good game.

Johnson got hurt today...HBP IIRC.

Since we now have a rotation of Alomar-Burke-Davis behind the plate ( :puke ), we are going to need a catcher.

That got me thinking to who was available.  I only thought of one, one who I've always liked and I brought up earlier in the year, but it was shot down, obviously because of Olivo's progression.

But now Olivo is gone.

What about Jason Kendall?  IIRC he's in the last year of his contract, he's a great contact hitter, solid defensively.  What about trying to swing a deal to aquire both Kendall and Meadows?

Thoughts?

This is totally out of left field. Olivo was probably the last dude I thought was gonna go in a deal but he's the one. There's KW for ya, full of surprises.

Well, I'd say you could maybe pull Jose Molina from Anaheim. Although they'd want major league help in return, so its probably pretty damn unlikely.

I'd say Charles Johnson would be the most realistic option. I think this is a contract year for him to and I doubt the Rockies would be looking for much. However, I'd like to get a left handed hitting catcher if at all possible.

Dear I say it....Pierizinski?? (sp?) :o

I'd take him. I know theirs probably some hatred and all, but the guy flat out was a competitor for the Twinkies and he's the exact type of player I'd like on this club. However, I was soured by some of the reports in San Fran earlier in the year about pitchers not liking them.

The Twins pitchers really seemed to like him though. I just wonder what it would cost. He's a left handed bat, plays the game right, and would definately be a good pickup.

I'd take him.  I know theirs probably some hatred and all, but the guy flat out was a competitor for the Twinkies and he's the exact type of player I'd like on this club.  However, I was soured by some of the reports in San Fran earlier in the year about pitchers not liking them.

The Twins pitchers really seemed to like him though.  I just wonder what it would cost.  He's a left handed bat, plays the game right, and would definately be a good pickup.

Do you think the Giants would go with basically just Torrealba (sp?)?

Dear I say it....Pierizinski?? (sp?) :o

That would be an absolute disaster. I remember one of the reports out of SF saying that he wouldn't watch film of upcoming opponents but would constantly be watching Twins games in the clubhouse. Hmmmm....would you want to hire a die hard twin fan to beat the twins??? no thanks.

Charles Johnson is definitely available, Colorado is desperately trying to slash payroll. Been hittin well at Coors this season as well.

Greg Myers from the Blue Jays could also be an option, as only Roy Halliday, Miguel Batista, Vernon Wells and Ted Lilly are untouchables on that team.

Perhaps Robby Hammock from the D-Backs or Brian Schneider from the Expos too.

That would be an absolute disaster.  I remember one of the reports out of SF saying that he wouldn't watch film of upcoming opponents but would constantly be watching Twins games in the clubhouse.  Hmmmm....would you want to hire a die hard twin fan to beat the twins???  no thanks.

AJ Pierzynski is an immature little b****.

But I think(or I atleast assume) he even realizes what would need to be done. You always try to beat the guy throwing the baseball to you on any given day.

I'd still try to stay away from him. San Fran would probably want some MLB ready talent, and I could see it most likely being from the bullpen. They can keep him.

Jose Molina is interesting. I'd like that. He or Brian Schneider would be OK.