Rumor Mill

KevHead0881

Haven't seen this anywhere around here, so I thought I'd post it. Most of this stuff is old news, but there are a couple interesting notes here. First is the interest in Alomar. I don't know why we'd want Alomar back after he stiffed us last year, plus he pretty much is washed up and would not fit in our already crowded infield. Also, take a look at Russ Ortiz stats against the AL; not bad.

Roberto Alomar, 2B, Arizona: He's on the list more because the Diamondbacks are committed to Scott Hairston as their second baseman than there being a high level of interest in the 12-time All-Star on the trade market. Alomar probably will be unloaded essentially for peanuts, and the Arizona Republic reports the Astros, White Sox and Yankees are believed to have interest. Of course, the Yankees are more focused on dealing for pitching, the White Sox were burned by "renting" Alomar last year and the Astros have some guy named Jeff Kent at second base, so none of those three proposed destinations is a guarantee. Alomar is unlikely to revert to his old elite Fantasy form even if he does get moved in the coming weeks, but at least he would have a better chance at starting status on another team.

Ramon Ortiz, SP, Anaheim: He makes the list because he has filed nearly as many requests for a trade than starts he has made this season. The Angels simply have better starters -- at least in their minds -- on their roster, so Ortiz has become more of an afterthought. Unfortunately, the right-hander's persistence in his requests has done nothing but decrease the likelihood he'll be moved, as the Los Angeles Times reports the White Sox offered Jose Valentin and the Orioles offered Buddy Groom in exchange, proposals the team felt were of the low-ball variety. Ortiz only will warrant Fantasy consideration if he moves to a team that will grant him a permanent rotation spot.

Russ Ortiz, SP, Atlanta: The "other" Ortiz has attracted much more interest on the trade front, but any deals involving him might not come for a few more weeks since they would surely signal the Braves packing things in this season. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that before the Garcia trade was completed, the Braves and White Sox had been discussing a swap for Ortiz that would have had Andruw Jones moving to Chicago and Magglio Ordonez landing in Atlanta. Ortiz also has caught the Yankees' eye, a move that would help boost his run support (he's currently at 4.63). Incidentally, those worried about how Ortiz would fare in the American League should take into account that in 20 career games (19 starts) during interleague play, he's 7-5 with a 3.48 ERA.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard one of the Minnesota Twins beat writers say on the radio in Minneapolis that the things are heating up with the Ordonez for Jones and possible Ortiz thrown in there.

He didn't give much else but he did say that if the Sox complete that trade then the Twins will really have something to worry about.

I just heard one of the Minnesota Twins beat writers say on the radio in Minneapolis

'nuff said. I've called bulls*** on this trade ever since the rumors were announced and Kenny himself has been quoted as saying he has in fact talked to the Bravos about ortiz but has never once brought up Maggs.

I suppose I wouldn't mind Alomar back if he was only used in Pinch-running/Hitting situations. He gives a switch hitting bat, is a smart base-runner and plays solid D. There is nobody in the lineup I would sit in favor of him. And I would only like this if we paid a very SMALL amount of CASH for him, no prospects.

I suppose I wouldn't mind Alomar back if he was only used in Pinch-running/Hitting situations.  He gives a switch hitting bat, is a smart base-runner and plays solid D.  There is nobody in the lineup I would sit in favor of him.  And I would only like this if we paid a very SMALL amount of CASH for him, no prospects.

I'm pretty happy w/ our bench now. I wouldn't want to have to send anyone down to make room for Alomar.

I am also begining to become intriged by the Ortiz, Jones for Maggs trade.

2B Uribe/Harris

CF Jones

DH Thomas

LF Lee

1B Konerko

SS Valentin

RF Rowand/Perez

3B Crede

C Alomar/David/Burke

SP Buehrle

SP Loaiza

SP Garcia

SP Ortiz

SP Garland

This offense has not missed a beat without Maggs and if he is going to bolt after the season I would rather the Sox get something for him now.

With every rumor out there, you have to remember.

Kenny is a LISTENER.

When the Angels called to talk about Ortiz, they are ones who probably mentioned Valentin. Kenny listens, but says no.

Source goes the paper: Kenny Williams discussed a trade for Ortiz and the Angels getting Valentin.

See, how easy that is.

I do not want that fat, gimp-kneed, overpaid, strikeout-prone, locked up for 3 more years chump,  Andruw Jones, on the Sox.

I happened to watch the Braves game the other night when he went 3-4 and he looked absolutely fine to me. He is not fat, still has it all in CF, has shortened up his stroke, and did not look gimpy-kneed when hustling out a double of the CF wall missing a HR by 3 inches. BTW, this was all against Brad Penny.

Although I liked some of the things that Robbie did for us last year, I don't see what he would add that we don't already got. And as far as I'm concerned, we could do a lot worse then the Uribe/Harris/Valentin middle infield combo.

As far as Ramon Ortiz goes, I find it kind of funny that the Angels considered Valentin a "low-ball" offer. I think it's too much for a guy that they don't think is good enough for their rotation. Forget that deal.

And I am also really starting to warm up to the Maggs for Ortiz/Jones deal. If it wasn't almost a sure thing that we'd lose Maggs at the end of the year, I'd say no way. But the fact of the matter is, this would almost be a steal on our part, considering that we'd get a good pitcher and an all-star caliber CF who is under contract for a while. Sure Jones numbers have declined a bit, but he's still quite young.

Honestly, I think the only thing holding up this trade is the fact that Atlanta is far from being out of the race. And I think making this trade doesn't make them better for this season.

233 home runs and 6 GG at the age of 27.

Andruw Jones is really really terrible player who I would not want to see on the Sox.

::rolls eyes::

Hes never missed more than 6 games in any season.

You may not want to trade Maggs for Jones, but to just be blindly dissing Jones shows nothing more than idiocy.

Go look at Beltran's stats, hes struck out over 100 times 3 years, and hes never put up the power numbers Jones has, has not won as many GG as Jones has.

And they were born 1 day apart.

Now why do so many have a hard on for Beltran, but hate Jones?

It makes no sense, especially when Beltran is going to get a monster contract, and Jones is already locked into a home town discount contract.

But Jones sucks.

SB

233 home runs and 6 GG at the age of 27.

Andruw Jones is really really terrible player who I would not want to see on the Sox.

::rolls eyes::

Hes never missed more than 6 games in any season.

You may not want to trade Maggs for Jones, but to just be blindly dissing Jones shows nothing more than idiocy.

Go look at Beltran's stats, hes struck out over 100 times 3 years, and hes never put up the power numbers Jones has, has not won as many GG as Jones has.

And they were born 1 day apart.

Now why do so many have a hard on for Beltran, but hate Jones?

It makes no sense, especially when Beltran is going to get a monster contract, and Jones is already locked into a home town discount contract.

But Jones sucks.

SB

God bless you! When I turn 21, I'm gonna buy you 5 cases of your favorite beer!! :cheers

There's one main reason that Beltran is in much more demand than Jones, it's this little thing called EVERY offensive category this year. He's hitting 36 points better has 15 more runs and 12 more RBI. Plus he isn't the clubhouse cancer and notorious loafer that Jones has become. Also, Beltran is lightyears better as a baserunner. Jones is not a $13 million player. He's batted better than .280 once, and that was 4 years ago, and he isn't that great a run producer. Considering how loaded that Braves O was last year, he should have had much more runs and RBI.

Bats right, but over his career has higher batting average against rhp than lhp.

Just because a player bats a certain way does not mean they will necessarily be more effective than another player.

Match ups are important, but every day players should be able to hit both rhp and lhp, regardless of which side of the plate they stand on.

(Edit)

Then why do most Braves fans consider Jones their best offense and defensive player?

That is if he did not do much last year.

SB

Because Braves fans smoke crack. Defensively, yes, he is their best player. But to say that he is or was their best offensive player recently requires one to be under the influence of some type of narcotic. Anyone looked at Sheffield's stats last year? How about Jones, Lopez, or Giles? 116 RBI and 102 runs in the middle of those guys is almost an insult. He didn't crack 100 in either category the year before. At one point, he was a stunning all around player that was a great defender, had 30 homerun power, and could steal some bases. That's just not the case anymore. While he is better defensively than what the Sox have, anyone watching baseball should know that Hunter and Beltran have passed him defensively, his 20 stolen base days are long gone, and he isn't even hitting with that much power this year. Any team that thinks someone batting that poorly is their best hitter needs a lot of help. And if Jones is such a great player that is locked into a "hometown discount," why are they so desperate to unload him?

I happened to watch the Braves game the other night when he went 3-4 and he looked absolutely fine to me. He is not fat, still has it all in CF, has shortened up his stroke, and did not look gimpy-kneed when hustling out a double of the CF wall missing a HR by 3 inches. BTW, this was all against Brad Penny.

One whole game?

Sign him immediately.

As for last year with the Braves:

2nd in RBIs with 126, 6 behind Sheffield with 132

4th in Runs with 101, behind Chipper, Sheff, and Furcal

3rd in total bases with 305, behind Lopez and Sheff

3rd in home runs with 36, behind Lopez and Sheff

Lets look at 2002

2nd in Runs with 91, behind Furcal.

2nd in TB with 287, behind Chipper Jones.

2nd in RBI with 94, behind C Jones

1st in HR with 35.

(Yes I have looked at the stats here they are. Sheff had a whole 6 more RBI's than Jones did, and Giles did not beat Jones in any category including runs.)

Notice how outside of BA, Jones is in the top 5 on the braves in almost every category, in 2002 his OPS was 3rd, in 2003 his OPS was 4th.

In the last 2 years he has been more consistent than Sheff and C. Jones, and to say he didnt do enough, is to not understand that outside of Sheff and Javy Jones was for sure the best offensive player they had, and played a premium defensive position at GG level.

Why is Jones slumping?

Its hard to tell, it might be injury, but it is more likely that the Brave's lineup is horrendous this year.

The loss of Lopez and Sheff who were on fire last year, has really put the line up in a tail spin. C. Jones has been brutal, so that leaves really only 2 offensive threats in the line up Drew and Jones.

Jones has been moved lower in the order, giving him almost no protection, thus he gets worked and falls into a slump.

If put on a team where he will get protection, expect his average to go up to .270-.280 his career range.

Most thought this would be Jones "huge" year, with over 40 hr, but the loss of potency in that line up has really hurt him.

A lot of people thought Konerko was done last year, and Jones has significantly out performed that slump.

Add to it that Turner Field is a pitchers park, and Jones could make a major impact on a team like the Sox who play in a more hitters friendly field, with a better line up.

Buy low, sell high.

For the last 3 years, he would of been considered untouchable, now the Braves are in a bad position and they want to unload him.

SB

As for last year with the Braves:

2nd in RBIs with 126, 6 behind Sheffield with 132

4th in Runs with 101, behind Chipper, Sheff, and Furcal

3rd in total bases with 305, behind Lopez and Sheff

3rd in home runs with 36, behind Lopez and Sheff

Lets look at 2002

2nd in Runs with 91, behind Furcal.

2nd in TB with 287, behind Chipper Jones.

2nd in RBI with 94, behind C Jones

1st in HR with 35.

(Yes I have looked at the stats here they are. Sheff had a whole 6 more RBI's than Jones did, and Giles did not beat Jones in any category including runs.)

Notice how outside of BA, Jones is in the top 5 on the braves in almost every category, in 2002 his OPS was 3rd, in 2003 his OPS was 4th.

In the last 2 years he has been more consistent than Sheff and C. Jones, and to say he didnt do enough, is to not understand that outside of Sheff and Javy Jones was for sure the best offensive player they had, and played a premium defensive position at GG level.

Why is Jones slumping?

Its hard to tell, it might be injury, but it is more likely that the Brave's lineup is horrendous this year.

The loss of Lopez and Sheff who were on fire last year, has really put the line up in a tail spin. C. Jones has been brutal, so that leaves really only 2 offensive threats in the line up Drew and Jones.

Jones has been moved lower in the order, giving him almost no protection, thus he gets worked and falls into a slump.

If put on a team where he will get protection, expect his average to go up to .270-.280 his career range.

Most thought this would be Jones "huge" year, with over 40 hr, but the loss of potency in that line up has really hurt him.

A lot of people thought Konerko was done last year, and Jones has significantly out performed that slump.

Add to it that Turner Field is a pitchers park, and Jones could make a major impact on a team like the Sox who play in a more hitters friendly field, with a better line up.

Buy low, sell high.

For the last 3 years, he would of been considered untouchable, now the Braves are in a bad position and they want to unload him.

SB

Hmm, OK, thats a lot more convincing.

I may have to rethink this one

One whole game? 

Sign him immediately.

I'm trying to prove the point that he is NOT what you said he was. Condition wise, he looks like he always does. This has always been the time of season that Jones goes on a tear. His numbers throughout his career and even just over the pastfew seasons are phenominal.

Dave "soup" Campell is all over the Sox on ESPN News.

Said Smotlz is hot on the Sox list, he is the Sox,Cubs, and Flordias list, and when he went over every team in the race and who they could/want to get, Kendell, Urbina, and Guardado are possibilities.

I'd like to say that we wouldn't need Smoltz since we already have a closer, you can never have enough pitching, especially in the bullpen. And although I don't think it will happen, you have to be prepared for the possibility that hitters might start to figure out Shingo.

I still find it hard to believe that the Braves are in selling mode though. They are only 3 1/2 back, the last time I checked.