The White Sox and Seattle not done dealing?

JDsDirtySox

ESPN Radio 1000 just had Bruce Levine on with Mac and Jurko. Levine said the Sox have had very serious discussions with the M's about acquiring Guardado. He said talks really heated up over the weekend. Guardado has a 3 year deal in place, but it has an out in it after this year if he is not used as the closer. Levine said if the Sox are to make another move soon, look for it to be for Everyday Eddie.

I'd like to see Guardado in our pen for this year or the next few.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For who??? I think we can't be stupid to deal Damaso. And believe me, the M's won't be interested with Politte or Mike Jackson. Maybe prospects will help but that won't set anything into high gear.

It is going to be for prospects. They are looking to cut cost in Seattle.

For who??? I think we can't be stupid to deal Damaso. And believe me, the M's won't be interested with Politte or Mike Jackson. Maybe prospects will help but that won't set anything into high gear.

I doubt they'll be looking for major leaguers in return, unless it's Cotts.

ESPN Radio 1000 just had Bruce Levine on with Mac and Jurko.  Levine said the Sox have had very serious discussions with the M's about acquiring Guardado.  He said talks really heated up over the weekend.  Guardado has a 3 year deal in place, but it has an out in it after this year if he is not used as the closer.  Levine said if the Sox are to make another move soon, look for it to be for Everyday Eddie.

I'd like to see Guardado in our pen for this year or the next few.

if true, this might be a interesting pickup.

however, at what cost?

Holy Shmoly, if we got Guardado that'd be f'n awesome! How great would that be sticking it in the Twins' face when we have Eddie and Shingo closing games against them. They'd have no chance at one of their miracle comebacks w/ those two as our closers.

This would be a tremendous move. Him, Marte and Shingo gives us a fantastic bullpen. I think Shingo would probably move to the setup slot with Marte with Everday Eddie doing the closing, but I could be wrong.

Eddie is signed to a fair contract, 4-5 mill a year if I recall, and would be an asset to the pen. I wonder what it would cost prospect wise to get him though. I mean will it be someone like Borchard or would the Sox give up one of their young arms like Rauch/Diaz plus another prospect.

I'd love to see Everday Eddie on the southside though.

The only other person I can see going is Cotts, but I really really hope he doesn't go anywhere. I really like Cotts long term potential. I think he'll slide into the rotation next year and pitch very effectively and I could see him being an all star a few times too.

I wonder what it would cost prospect wise to get him though.  I mean will it be someone like Borchard or would the Sox give up one of their young arms like Rauch/Diaz plus another prospect. 

My guess is that we'd be giving up pitching in this trade, since we gave up 3 hitters in our last trade w/ the M's. It'd probably be Rauch/Diaz and a prospect or two, like you said Jas.

The question is what would you be willing to give up for a player with those stats? That is the main concern here, who is going to go

My one concern is that I'm sure we aren't the only team in the Guardado bidding (that team on the northside should be interested). And with that being the case, we might be in the midst of a bidding war here. Seattle already showed in the Garcia trade that they aren't going to be had. I'd like to think that it would only be minor leaguers, but they might take some cheap major league talent as well (Crede?)

The only other person I can see going is Cotts, but I really really hope he doesn't go anywhere. I really like Cotts long term potential.  I think he'll slide into the rotation next year and pitch very effectively and I could see him being an all star a few times too.

Jason. I highly doubt it will be Cotts, Seattle doesn't want pitching, they've got a TON of it in the minors. They're stacked, I think they're only interested in position players....

maybe Ryan Sweeney???

Than again, they still might want Cotts involved in the deal too.

Or maybe.....it's going to be a three way deal with Magglio going to Atlanta, we would get Andruw Jones and Ortiz, and Seattle would get prospects from both the Sox and Atlanta.....This won't happen though, because it's just too good to be true.

Too much speculation if you ask me, let's just get him.

CWSOX45

If Crede is in the deal, then I'd think the Sox would be getting someone like Spiezo in return (although I think he's hurt) with the Mariners eating some of the contract.

I don't see the Sox dealing Crede though, even though its been publicized that Bavasi wanted him.

Guest JimH

If the Sox didn't cave in to Seattle's demands for Crede in the Garcia trade, they won't give him up for Guardado either.

Concern ... Guardado had some elbow problems this year, didn't he?

I saw Levine at Wrigley on Saturday and he mentioned bullpen help was a strong possibility but he mentioned Hasegawa, not Guardado. Things change fast I guess.

Early in the year it was a concern, but he's been pretty much lights out since coming back. You could argue he's been the best reliever this side of Southern California (Gagne and Krod).

However, his numbers will probably come up just a bit when he's not pitching in safeco full time. I think both relievers would make sense for the White Sox though (Hasagewa or Eddie).

This would be a tremendous move.  Him, Marte and Shingo gives us a fantastic bullpen.  I think Shingo would probably move to the setup slot with Marte with Everday Eddie doing the closing, but I could be wrong.

Eddie is signed to a fair contract, 4-5 mill a year if I recall, and would be an asset to the pen.  I wonder what it would cost prospect wise to get him though.  I mean will it be someone like Borchard or would the Sox give up one of their young arms like Rauch/Diaz plus another prospect. 

I do think that it would be Marte-Shingo-Guardado 7-8-9.

With Politte's re-emergence, along with Guardado, we would almost overnight go from having a mediocre-s***ty bullpen to having a very good bullpen. You then consider that atleast one starter, and potentially two, could be moved to the bullpen in the playoffs as well.

Guardado would be a solid pickup to say the least.

I think if we do get him, it will be for one of Rauch/Diaz and another fringe type.

If Crede is in the deal, then I'd think the Sox would be getting someone like Spiezo in return (although I think he's hurt) with the Mariners eating some of the contract. 

I don't see the Sox dealing Crede though, even though its been publicized that Bavasi wanted him.

Spezio isn't listed as on the DL he may be hurt though, but he's actually have a worse, statistically, season than Joe

Crede .236 .292 .438 12 HR 37 RBI

Spezio .221 .294 .374 8 HR 30 RBI

Although I say Spezio is a suitable replacement if they had to trade Crede to get Eddy. And he's from Joliet, does anybody know if he was a Cub or Sox fan growing up?

Sox still do not have a bonafied ace (RJ, Glavine, etc) and our 1-2 hitters are highly inexperienced. 3 weeks ago I would have been more than fine with both Willie and Uribe but they regressed big-time lately. The prospect of having Hurt come up to bat with 2 outs and bases empty against a tough RHP on the road in the playoffs doesn't thrill me one bit.

And Guardado is not quite as important if the Sox are losing , say, 4-2 in the 9th in a playoff game because 1) our pitcher wasn't as good as the pitcher he is going up againt on the road and 2) Sox hitters can't handle another tough RHP starter.

Steve Finley plays CF and is a #2 hitter with excellent OBP against RHP. Hopefully Willie can get his s*** together and be a decent lead-off guy against RHP as well. Uribe slides lower in the order and challenges Crede for 3B. Competition is good. Robbie Alomar challenges Willie of course.....

Against LHP, Rowand and Uribe are 1-2, but then again, neither Yankees nor Red Sox have LHP starters - unless of course Sox face the A's.

What are Sox giving up for Guardado anyway?

Steve from Mariners Wheelhouse here, wandering over from the Seattle Mariners Top MLB Forum. Interesting discussion.

No one here has mentioned that Guardado has a no-trade clause. A deal with Chicago would need to get over that hurdle.

Guardado has also openly expressed his desire to return to Minnesota. He said earlier in the season that leaving Minnesota was a mistake. Point is that one of the other teams the Sox may be competing against is Minnesota. And Minnesota has lots of what the Mariners need.

Guardado has been far and away the best pitcher in the Mariners bullpen, and he is death to left-handed hitters.

following are Avg OBP SLG OPS against for 2004:

vs lefties: .088 .111 .118 .229 !!!!

vs righties: .185 .265 .304 .569

Spiezio is not reported to be injured. He started the season on the DL with a back problem. There has been no subsequent mention of any lingering issues from the injury, but his production season does provide reason to wonder.

Re Crede, Reed and the Garcia trade. The story in Seattle, reported by some folks who have contacts in the Mariners FO, is that Reed was always in the deal - he was the centerpiece in the deal. The negotiations were about who the other players would be. If those stories are correct, it was not necessarily a situation of Williams refusing to include Crede.

If there are additional discussions with the White Sox, I would expect Crede to be part of the talks. The Mariners don't have any truly strong options within the organization to fill that spot. The upcoming FA class looks like a good one for third basemen and the Mariners have lots of FA money available, so they are probably not going to extend themselves too far going after Crede.