Freddy Garcia

DBAHO

Quite interesting here from Brian Cashman the Yankees GM.

"There's a misbelief that we do not have the players, and that we did not have the players to get the deal done with the Royals or the deal done with the Mariners when Freddy Garcia and Carlos Beltran were available and I can tell you that's not the case," Cashman said. "The Mariners wound up getting a great deal from the White Sox. They beat out probably 15 teams fighting for Freddy Garcia. And the White Sox beat everybody out with a phenomenal, overwhelming offer. It didn't mean we didn't have anything that would work. I know for a fact that we had stuff that would work."

I'll admit I was wrong in the amount of influence that Oz must of had on Freddy to sign the extension. The man gave up millions to sign with the Sox and the connecion with Oz is the only reason that makes sense.

I do not think we paid an outragous amount for Freddy. I'll bet others were very close.

I read somewhere that the Yankees have told the D'Backs they could have 6 top prospects for Randy Johnson. D'Backs Scouts who have been watching the Yankees farm system for the past two weeks said the Yankees don't really have 6 TOP prospects, and none of their top prospects will be ready for the Majors for a few years.

that quote is pretty lame, Cashman is just trying to cover his ass. 15 teams interested??? big deal, it's easy to express interest, but to put up a serious offer and then follow through on it is a whole different thing.

Most teams would like a guy like Garcia and every team would take him if the price was right for him. So saying 15 teams were interested in him doesn't surprise me one bit.

And just because 15 teams were interested, that doesn't mean 15 teams made a realistic offer either...

I read somewhere that the Yankees have told the D'Backs they could have 6 top prospects for Randy Johnson.  D'Backs Scouts who have been watching the Yankees farm system for the past two weeks said the Yankees don't really have 6 TOP prospects, and none of their top prospects will be ready for the Majors for a few years.

I heard the same thing. Arizona's GM replied to the Yankees that their is nothing you have that we want. It appears that he wouldn't go to New York, but I wouldn't ever say that because they have cash and if Arizona really wants to unload his contract, they'll bite if no other team is actually in the sweepstakes.

I think if it gets to that point, then the Angels will jump in, offer one of their top prospects, and some mid level guys. Thats only if no one really gets in a bidding war for Randy.