Possibility of AAA Charlotte Moving?

CWSGuy406

Article

I was just reading about this now, over at WSI. Have any of you guys heard anything about it? It would make a lot of sense, more fans from the big club would be able to see the games, less of a drive. I'd like it, I'd definitely make the trip to Indy if the Knights were there...

I think you have a little mix up there... Charlotte would still be the KNights, and Indy would still be the Indians.  What would change is that the Sox would send their AAA players to Indy instead of Charlotte.

Oh - I see - so the only difference would be playing in a different location with different uniforms and nicknames, but still the same players, correct?

Thanks for clearing that up, ss2k4.

Oh - I see - so the only difference would be playing in a different location with different uniforms and nicknames, but still the same players, correct?

Thanks for clearing that up, ss2k4.

Exactly. Totally different people own and operate the minor league franchises. The Indy Indians would enter into an agreement with the Chicago White Sox, who would then send players to Indianapolis. Usually they also pay for things like their equiptment and whatever else they can worm out of a team in the argreement. So yeah the jerseys and town would be different, but the players in them would be the same.

So Close?

Winston Salem and Charlotte are the only real close ones right?

BHam is in Bama.  Kanny well i don't know where they are and who really cares about GF and Bristol in terms of closeness.

I don't think the Sox will be moving their, unless Charlotte wants the Sox out.

The logic is that Bristol, Kanny, Charlotte, and Winston Salem are all relatively close.

Charlotte, WS, and Kanny are within an hour and a half of each other (CHarlotte to Kanny is onlye like half an hour). Bristol is a few hour drive, but not too far.

Still, the players if in Indianapolis would be incredibly close, but scouting would become more expensive as they wouldn't have much of a proximity anymore, imo.

What I will never understand is why the Sox, or any professonal sports teams dont try to get there minor system in there home town, or at least state.

If the Sox had there players go to Kane County, or the Shamburg Flyers, not only would it help the fans get to know the players coming up, but IMO it would boost the attendece for the minor league teams, at least in the begining.

Same goes with the Hawks and the Wolves. I know Atlanta has them, but at least try to get them.

What SS said is correct. We have two teams here, the Senators (AHL) and the Mets (AA-EL). There is ownership of the franchises that the person/group allies for to the league. After approval they are granted a franchise but they then must search for affiliation agreements with a major league club. Major league clubs try to look for close places but there arent always available.

There are tons of factors that come into making a decision on an affiliate. My brother happens to be the G.M./C.O.O. of a AAA team so we talk about this topic alot. Minor League Organizations target Major League teams based on many factors. From the minor league talent, to a team's history... it is wild. While my brother wouldn't be happy with me if I kept running my mouth, I will end by saying the White Sox having a new AAA home next year is a strong possibility.

There are tons of factors that come into making a decision on an affiliate.  My brother happens to be the G.M./C.O.O. of a AAA team so we talk about this topic alot.  Minor League Organizations target Major League teams based on many factors.  From the minor league talent, to a team's history... it is wild.  While my brother wouldn't be happy with me if I kept running my mouth, I will end by saying the White Sox having a new AAA home next year is a strong possibility.

I was just about to add the same........ my hunch is that Charlotte will show the Sox the door, just like Nashville did several years ago.

I also doubt the Sox will end up in Indianapolis. Indy is not happy with the Brewers and the way things have been run the past several years. Anyone want to guess who was running the Brewers farm system until this year? Yep, the Sox own farm director, Dave Wilder. I just have a hard time seeing Indianapolis re-align themselves with Wilder.

I could be wrong, but those are my two cents. The Sox better hope they don't end up in Ottawa!

If the Sox had there players go to Kane County, or the Shamburg Flyers, not only would it help the fans get to know the players coming up, but IMO it would boost the attendece for the minor league teams, at least in the begining.

The Flyers are from an independent league, they have no association with minor league baseball.

I have a dumb ?

Does a team have to be affiliated with a team to keep playing in the IL, PCL, or other minor league system?

Could they be unaffiliated and still remain in the League or would they have to move to an indepentant league...?

Plus my suggestion is to move our AAA team to Gary. They have the RailCats... :lol:

Does a team have to be affiliated with a team to keep playing in the IL, PCL, or other minor league system?

Yes. If they aren't affiliated with a team, then they can't play in the league that that team is in. For example, the Astros used to not have a High-A team, IIRC, so their minor leaguers had to make the jump from low-A to AA, which is extremely tough. The jump from High-A to AA is considered by many to be the hardest jump for a minor leaguer to make, so from Low-A to AA is just that much harder.

In affiliated baseball, there are an equal number of Minor League teams for each Major League team. There were variations in the past (the Sox used to have 3 Class A teams - South Bend was the one in the middle), but those have pretty much gone by the wayside.

There are 30 AAA cities (same for AA) to match up with the 30 MLB teams. The MLB teams seek affiliation agreements with each of those teams. Unless they own their own affiliates (Braves own Rome, Greenville and Richmond), the MLB team has no choice of location other than those 30 cities at each level.

Sometimes teams get "stuck" with each other. For instance, a few years ago, the White Sox had to have their AAA team in Calgary for one year, because all of the other teams had affiliation agreements and the Sox and Calgary were the two left. Compare it to the last kid chosen on the playground.

I have  a dumb ?

Could they be unaffiliated and still remain in the League or would they have to move to an indepentant league...?

Plus my suggestion is to move our AAA team to Gary. They have the RailCats... :lol:

Even if Gary wanted a AAA team, it is too small, as is its stadium. It would need to be about twice the size it is to hold the # of fans to support the payroll of a AAA team