Catching Solution

MurcieOne

It's obvious to me that Miguel Olivo will not be the starting catcher this year. He is not ready for this, and he will ride the pine for the most part.

So here's an Idea........why not put Jamie Burke on the team, who is having an amazing spring, and can also play 1st base. This would allow Olivo to play everyday at AAA and recieve a mid-season callup ot earn the starting job next spring.

Whadaya think..........

jaime burke is forcing that situation on manuel....how has this guy not gotten a shot with somebody before considering he can play catcher??..his bat is extremely quick..granted i only saw one at bat but bat speed is something you cant teach he jaime seems to have alot of it

one the downside defensively burke is not considered very good

It's obvious to me that Miguel Olivo will not be the starting catcher this year. He is not ready for this, and he will ride the pine for the most part.

So here's an Idea........why not put Jamie Burke on the team, who is having an amazing spring, and can also play 1st base. This would allow Olivo to play everyday at AAA and recieve a mid-season callup ot earn the starting job next spring.

Whadaya think..........

I completely agree Burke is 31 and is probably very desperate to play good. It's probably one of his last chances at the bigs.

Whadaya think..........

We really don't need another guy who can play 1b. We've already got Thomas and Konerko, which would be enough, but we've also got Brian Daubach who we'll want to work into the lineup as much as possible since he's a left-handed power threat.

I think that we should go with Olivo and Sandy. Olivo won't ride the pine most of the time, because Sandy can't normally catch consecutive games. Olivo will get plenty of playing time (probably 80-100 games) for a rookie. Plus, at least he's good defensively. The past couple of years, we've gone with Mark Johnson (pretty bad all-around) and Josh Paul (pretty bad all-around), so Miguel should be an improvement.

Whadaya think..........

We really don't need another guy who can play 1b. We've already got Thomas and Konerko, which would be enough, but we've also got Brian Daubach who we'll want to work into the lineup as much as possible since he's a left-handed power threat.

I think that we should go with Olivo and Sandy. Olivo won't ride the pine most of the time, because Sandy can't normally catch consecutive games. Olivo will get plenty of playing time (probably 80-100 games) for a rookie. Plus, at least he's good defensively. The past couple of years, we've gone with Mark Johnson (pretty bad all-around) and Josh Paul (pretty bad all-around), so Miguel should be an improvement.

i agree that olivo should be on the roster..but ONLY if he is going to catch 5 games or so a week minimum...if sandy is going to be the starter which it looks like manuel is leaning towards then olivo should go to AAA..kind of like with bortchard..id think borchard should be our CF..but if he isnt then he has to go to AAA to play everyday...

both these guys need to play everyday

If we go with 3 catchers....I'd look for Burke to make the team....not Paul....unless Paul can play adequate CF as well.

I think both Miguel and Sandy make the team out of ST....and then Manuel is faced with a tough decision on the #5 bench spot....does he go with Paul, Rios, Burke, or who? I also don't believe Harris is a lock anymore, like he once was thought to be(by me)....with Miles playing his ass off, he may get a spot and beat out Harris, and then he is our backup OFer, or something like that, or Rios is our backup CFer, or something along those lines.

The rules say you can only have 25-men on your roster from April to August....and this team needs 26. Our bench is probably going to look something like Graffy, Alomar/Olivo, Daubach, (the only three locks, IMO), Miles, Rios....with Miles being the util IF/bat off the bench(like Graffy) who also pinch runs, and Rios is our backup CFer, unless there is an emergency, in which Miles or Graffy would go in....with Burke getting sent to the minors and Paul having to clear waivers and then sent to the minors....I hope that he gets picked up, or atleast attempted to be picked up, and then we pull him back and trade him....something like that. I don't want to see him on the big league roster unless he can also play atleast all 3 OF positions and 2B-SS adequately....otherwise, get him the hell out of here.

Whadaya think..........

i agree that olivo should be on the roster..but ONLY if he is going to catch 5 games or so a week minimum...if sandy is going to be the starter which it looks like manuel is leaning towards then olivo should go to AAA..kind of like with bortchard..id think borchard should be our CF..but if he isnt then he has to go to AAA to play everyday...

both these guys need to play everyday

Baggs...if Olivo makes the roster out of ST(which I believe he will) and Manuel still says that Alomar will be the starter...I will believe every word he says.

Manuel isn't stating the timeframe that Sandy will be starting....and I believe it will be April...or at the latest, he will be backup by June. Miguel will be eased into his starting role, and hopefully we can get a big enough lead that by June, we are like 5 or 6 games up and we can keep that same type of lead for the rest of the year.

The Sox will carry two catchers for Opening Day. Alomar and Olivo will be those two. Alomar will be the starter on Opening Day but his status as starter will be limited because of injuries. By mid-season, Olivo will be the one starting 4-5 games a week. I'd be shocked if Alomar will be able to endure the wear and tear on his knees through May with any amount of playing consistency. Olivo will get the starts he needs whether he's in the minors or the majors.

The Sox will carry two catchers for Opening Day. Alomar and Olivo will be those two. Alomar will be the starter on Opening Day but his status as starter will be limited because of injuries. By mid-season, Olivo will be the one starting 4-5 games a week. I'd be shocked if Alomar will be able to endure the wear and tear on his knees through May with any amount of playing consistency. Olivo will get the starts he needs whether he's in the minors or the majors.

I agree totally. Alomar will have a good first 1/4 or 1/2, and the wear 'n tear in his knees will begin to act up, and then Burke or Olivo (most liekly Olivo) will come and take his spot. It just depends how JM plays it out and how well Olivo and Burke do in AAA or deal as pinch hitters. The cards will play out soon enough, though.

Like Murcie said, Olivio is clearly not ready for the challenges of being a big league catcher. I'd much rather have him in AAA playing everyday and getting more accustomed to the position than heating the USCF benches.

As for Burke, why the hell not? He can't be any worse than Josh Paul. This team desperately needs someone to catch. Losing Johnson is looking worse and worse as the days go on.

Guest hotsoxchick1

what makes you guys so sure miguel isnt ready??????? damn its only spring training .. he just got off the season of his life in the minors and hit the hell out of everything in winter ball .... let him rest a bit before the season starts huh... his defense has been pretty good the few times hes played... who cares if hes not hitting the ball right now....doesnt mean he wont be in regular season..........

A few points here. First, what is all this I keepseeing about Josh Paul playing all these postions? I've seen this several times, and yet I have not heard anything about this from the media or the club. I can see the Sox keeping Paul as the back up, if they feel Olivo needs more seasoning. They could then use him as a backup until they feel Olivo is ready, then trade JP. That way they wouldn't lose him to the waiver wire. Also, if the team does keep Olivo on the roster, I can see him starting 2 to 3 games a week and being used as a late inning defensive replacement for Alomar when the team has a lead. Finally, why is losing Johnson such a bad thing? He was no better than JP, yet everyone wants to dump him.

A few points here.  First, what is all this I keepseeing about Josh Paul playing all these postions?  I've seen this several times, and yet I have not heard anything about this from the media or the club.  I can see the Sox keeping Paul as the back up, if they feel Olivo needs more seasoning.  They could then use him as a backup until they feel Olivo is ready, then trade JP.  That way they wouldn't lose him to the waiver wire. Also, if the team does keep Olivo on the roster, I can see him starting 2 to 3 games a week and being used as a late inning defensive replacement for Alomar when the team has a lead.  Finally, why is losing Johnson such a bad thing?  He was no better than JP, yet everyone wants to dump him.

johnson was much better than josh paul...mark threw out about 40% of the runners stealing against and has a 993 fldg pct...josh paul throws out about half that amount and carries a fldg pct around 980..josh sux behind the plate...plus johnson was buehrle's personal catcher...what happens if olivo and mark dont mesh and it effects mark's performance..

big thing to me about johnson..he never gets hurt..unlike sandy..if we had a johnson / olivo tandem we cut just cut josh loose and not have the injury worries we have with sandy...who by the we way cant even throw the ball to 2nd base anymore w/o bouncing it

I seem to recall MJ having some pretty pathetic stats in the throwing out runners attempting to steal dept. last season.  Though, I could be mistaken on that.  I'm too lazy to look it up.

I know it was atleast 35%....but it was probably 40%.

He could also handle a bat well. He never hit very well, but he could get down a bunt, he could draw a walk, he could put a ball in play....he could just never hit .240. If MJ ever hits .240 as a starter....I will seriously s*** my pants.

Guest hotsoxchick1

i still dont understand how you all come to the conclusion that miguel isnt ready....why just because he hasnt hit much... big deal its only spring training.....hes done well defensively in the games hes played.....so why isnt he ready to be a catcher????? can someone give a logical answer to this??????????thank you ..........