Loaiza traded to NY, Contreras discussion

reesdi

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a tremendous deal by KW!!  Loaiza isn't anywhere near as good as he was last year, and there was no way he was coming back.  Hopefully, we got a lot of money from the Yanks to pay the next 3 yrs of Contreras salary.  Think of it this way:  If he was a prospect, he'd be as high of a pitching prospect that existed in mlb.  I would love him w/Buehrle, Garcia, and Garland next year.  Way to go KW.

Agreed.

Good job Kenny :cheers

is it just me or did the cubs get REAMED in this deal? I don't know if the prospects included were cubs prospects but to only get Nomar for Clement (who's damn good), A-Gon, and prospects like Beltran you gotta be crazy.

is it just me or did the cubs get REAMED in this deal? I don't know if the prospects included were cubs prospects but to only get Nomar for Clement (who's damn good), A-Gon, and prospects like Beltran you gotta be crazy.

They have enough pitching, and they were desperate for offense.

haha, good point...

theo epstein is a very good GM...

my god, they just shored up that Infield Defense!!! Meintkewicz and Cabrera, there you go, defense solved, nobody after Pedro and Schill? How about Matt Clement...he's a great GM.

qwerty, just because you're desperate doesn't mean you should overpay. Seriously, how much better will Nomar be for the cubs than gonzalez was? The replacement value can't be all that much of a difference. There's no way they re-sign Nomar, it's been known that he wants to play on the west coast. So why the hell do you rent him for 3 months by dumping a great pitcher, a servicable shortstop, and two prospects? It just doesn't make sense.

haha, good point...

theo epstein is a very good GM...

my god, they just shored up that Infield Defense!!! Meintkewicz and Cabrera, there you go, defense solved, nobody after Pedro and Schill? How about Matt Clement...he's a great GM.

they didnt get Clement

This is a good deal if Contreras is healthy and can pitch like he has in the past. The biggest reason though---Loaiza didn't listen to Cooper and Ozzie. They told him he needed to stop nibbling, to go after hitters aggressively. He refused.

Loaiza doesn't have the stuff or control he had last year, so coming inside is suicide. Ask Danny Wright.

His only prayer was to locate, locate, locate, nibble, niblle, nibble and to keep hitters guessing, and unfortunately he didn't have the pinpoint control, especially with his slider and change-up, to be a very good finesse pitcher.

t1_loaiza_ap.jpg

You were a great pitcher (last year that is) but also gave us 9 wins this year. You’re a great man and I wish you luck with the Yankee$. Your record here with the Sox is 30-14 with a 3. something ERA. Thank you for everything E-LO... I know you tried your best to get to the same page as last year but had your troubles. Once again... good luck and take care :headbang