Loaiza traded to NY, Contreras discussion

reesdi

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim...Garcia and Mark are fine.  If this tipping pitches thing for Contreras can be fixed by the Sox, then we just got a steal for a pitcher with some great stuff in exchange for a pitcher who would not pitch inside and whose cutter has been figured out by most of the league. 

I think upgrades could definitely be made for Schoeneweis. (Crosses fingers and hopes for a Pavano or another good pitcher to take his place and allows Garland to be a #5 starter)  I also think there need to be a few offensive upgrades as well esp. if Magglio does not return next year but cementing this rotation is the #1 priority and I agree with KW on getting that done.  If Contreras gets his s*** straightened out, KW picks up another quality SP and gets him signed for a few years and Garland remains the #5 (I think anybody will admit that he has done better than a lot of the 5th starters we've seen this season for the most part) then we are going to have one helluva staff for the next couple of seasons.

Good theory about Garland maybe sliding down to #5. I hope his talent really comes out and he's much better than a #5.

I'd love to see a lefthander in the #5 spot, but don't have a great deal of faith in Scott S. - but I hope he gets on a roll and proves me wrong.

Love your sig line BTW.

I like this trade. I haven't been too excited about Loaiza this year. Besides, Contreras has two more years on his contract. Loaiza would have been a free agent, and I believe he was going to be looking for around $8 million a year. He's not worth that...at least not as a risk.

I hope Jose pitches well in his debut. That will be a major boost for the Sox.

his away from home avg. is gross, but wrigleys short distance might be good enough for him to succeed mildly...

but his defense is subpar...

and he's got a big ego...

That .333 average away from home this year is disgusting your right.

on nomar--he hasn't had enough at bats to really put much stock in this year's numbers. sample size too small. but if you look at his splits from 2001 thru 2003, he's hitting .266 with an underwhelming .773 OPS on the road (fenway OPS = 970). he's definitely not what he once was.

Jim said:

So we have Garcia, Buehrle, Contreras, and Garland locked up

as starting pitchers. Not bad, especially if Garland starts stepping up.

--That's what I was thinking. Then it hit me again. How come we always look

so good on paper and end up a mediocre ballclub that can't even win

our division?

on nomar--he hasn't had enough at bats to really put much stock in this year's numbers. sample size too small. but if you look at his splits from 2001 thru 2003, he's hitting .266 with an underwhelming .773 OPS on the road (fenway OPS = 970). he's definitely not what he once was.

Through out the last few years i agree he has struggled but life time not so much

.308 on the road in his career is damn good to me, maybe other have higher standards.

Jim said:

So we have Garcia, Buehrle, Contreras, and Garland locked up

as starting pitchers. Not bad, especially if Garland starts stepping up.

--That's what I was thinking. Then it hit me again. How come we always look

so good on paper and end up a mediocre ballclub that can't even win

our division?

You still don't know how to quote do you?

anyone here see any paper articles that have the white soxs as the team who won this trade?

Why do we need a news paper article to see who won the trade it is pretty obvious that we won it. Now we will have contreras for two more years for less many than loaiza will most likely demand.