Loaiza traded to NY, Contreras discussion

reesdi

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

qwerty, just because you're desperate doesn't mean you should overpay. Seriously, how much better will Nomar be for the cubs than gonzalez was? The replacement value can't be all that much of a difference. There's no way they re-sign Nomar, it's been known that he wants to play on the west coast. So why the hell do you rent him for 3 months by dumping a great pitcher, a servicable shortstop, and two prospects? It just doesn't make sense.

Did i say that you should over pay just because you are desperate no, but if you feel it is what you have to do you haave to do it.

I think they traded problems, Este's been in Ozzie's dog house since ST. And I heard Joe Torre this week saying that everytime they think Contreras has turned the corner he takes a step back.

This is a very good trade. I am not a huge fan of Contreras, but Loaiza has been horrible. I really think Contreras will do a better job than Este has. Also, with the pressure of NY gone, he does have a lot of upside. I'm not too optimistic about him fulfilling it, but i'm sure he'll do at least a solid job for us. Plus, with Loaiza a FA at the end of the year i think we shored up our rotation for the next few years

RECAP:

Kenny likes the trade, says that the atmosphere will be better here than in NY with more Latin influence, and the Sox see something in Contreras' motion that tips his pitches. Sox want to change this and be beneficial to the team, and to himself. Sox also want more diversity in staff, basically feels that the AL Central has Loaiza figured out.

Any note of how much the cash was for Contreras?  Also, for anyone complaining about giving up Loaiza, remember this stat:  2 of his last 11 starts have been quality starts.  J. Navarro could have done that.

The Sox are on the hook for $4 million per season the next 2 years.

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

White Sox acquire Jose Contreras and cash from New York in exchange for Esteban Loiaza

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have acquired right-handed pitcher Jose Contreras and cash considerations from the New York Yankees in exchange for pitcher Esteban Loaiza.

Contreras, 32, was 8-5 with a 5.64 ERA (60 ER/95.2 IP) in 18 games (all starts) for the Yankees in 2004. In two seasons with New York, the native of Cuba is 15-7 with a 4.64 ERA (86 ER/166.2 IP) and 154 strikeouts in 36 games (27 starts). The right-hander, who is signed through 2006, went 7-2 with a 3.30 ERA over 18 games in 2003.

"Jose is a pitcher we have pursued for some time," said Ken Williams, White Sox general manager. "Adding a pitcher of Jose's caliber gives us a solid starting rotation for the remainder of this season and into the future."

Contreras, who was named Cuba's Male Athlete of the Year three times during a 10-year stretch when he starred for the Cuba National Team, defected in October 2002.

Loaiza, 32, was 9-5 with a 4.86 ERA (76 ER/140.2 IP) in 21 games with the White Sox in 2004 after going 21-9 with a 2.90 ERA and an American League-leading 207 strikeouts in 2003. In 10 Major League seasons, the right-hander is 99-87 with a 4.60 ERA (829 ER/1,620.2 IP) in 290 games with Pittsburgh (1995-98), Texas (1998-2000), Toronto (2000-02) and the White Sox (2003-04). He was an All-Star in 2003 and 2004.