A case of Horrible Money Management for 1 MLB Team

I found this blurb today in looking at different papers online.

This is pathetic.

The Rockies have committed $53.6 million to six players next season - Todd Helton ($12.6 million), Preston Wilson ($12 million), Denny Neagle ($10 million), Charles Johnson ($9 million), Walker ($7.5 million) and Mike Hampton ($2.5 million). While no decision has been reached on next year's payroll, it's expected to be about $65 million.

53 of the 65 Million Dollar payroll is already committed for next year.

Some of that to 2 players that aren't even on the team.

10 Mil. for Neagle?

9Mil. for CJ?

I have never really looked in depth at other teams payroll situations, but seeing the position the Rockies are in amazes me.

i think the two players he was talking about are hampton and walker

Then why did he put this?

53 of the 65 Million Dollar payroll is already committed for next year.

Some of that to 2 players that aren't even on the team.

10 Mil. for Neagle?

9Mil. for CJ?

i think the two players he was talking about are hampton and walker

Hampton and Walker are the two players I was talking about. If I was referring to CJ or Neagle that would be more than 2 players not on the Rox accounting for a lot of that money.

Sorry for the confusion qwerty... I'll try to be more clear next time. ;)

You think Colorado is going to hand out big contracts for overpaid veterans again, I think not. And for those who want us to sign Beltran or Drew to massive deals, here's proof that it doesn't pay off if you don't hav a big payroll like the Yankees.

Hmm. How about a trade of Helton for Konerko straight up? Add a middle of the order lefty bat, and give up a power hitting righty - who will most likely thrive at Coors, with Helton keeping the same production at Coors Field Jr. We take on that big contract (how many more years, though?), and give them PK, who will be gone after a year.

Thoughts?

Hmm.  How about a trade of Helton for Konerko straight up?  Add a middle of the order lefty bat, and give up a power hitting righty - who will most likely thrive at Coors, with Helton keeping the same production at Coors Field Jr.  We take on that big contract (how many more years, though?), and give them PK, who will be gone after a year.

Thoughts?

Not unless then Rockies pay at least 30 to 40% of his remaining contract, then I'll think bout it.

Hmm.  How about a trade of Helton for Konerko straight up?  Add a middle of the order lefty bat, and give up a power hitting righty - who will most likely thrive at Coors, with Helton keeping the same production at Coors Field Jr.  We take on that big contract (how many more years, though?), and give them PK, who will be gone after a year.

Thoughts?

Imo they would never do it, even if konerko is making alot less than helton.

Thoughts?

Helton is a hall of famer in the making. Paulie is not.

Those are my thoughts.

It would really suck to be a Rockies fan, you'll never have a pitching staff that's good as long as you play 81 games at Coors Field. You really have to hope that one year you'll get a couple guys to have freak career years together, and try to get into the playoffs. Either way it must suck to be a Rockie fan.

That gets me thinking, I wonder when ex-Rockies start become HOF eligible, how much will the perception of playing in Coors hurt their chances?

You know, Helton might be the only Rockie that gets voted into the Hall Of Fame within their first 30+ years of existence. I can definitely see that happening.

It would really suck to be a Rockies fan, you'll never have a pitching staff that's good as long as you play 81 games at Coors Field. You really have to hope that one year you'll get a couple guys to have freak career years together, and try to get into the playoffs. Either way it must suck to be a Rockie fan.

not really when i lived in colorado they had cheap seats and very fan friendly enviroment.