What Free Agent.....

soxman352000

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry but I don't want to go anywhere near Pedro.

He has Davis Wells written all over him {Shudder}.

I'm sorry guys but we can do better!

The Pedro Stakes are down to 3 teams;

1) Red Sox

2) Yankees

3) Giants

Here's my team (aquisions in bold):

C-Davis/Burke

1B-Konerko

2B-Hairston/Harris Platoon (Hairston aquired in a trade.)

3B-Bill Mueller

SS-Juan Uribe

LF-Lee

CF-Rowand

RF-Drew/Catalanatto (Not both - just one.)

DH-Thomas

(Everett, Gload, Perez, among others, lining the bench.)

Rotation:

Garcia

Buehrle

Clement

Contreras

Garland

(Rotation is - meh, I dunno.  I'd rather have a lefty in it, but the only even slightly good lefty on the market is Odalis Perez.  If this team has real balls, go after Pedro.  Obvious.)

Bullpen:

Adkins/Diaz

Cotts

Politte

Marte

Shingo

Kline

Mota (If available for a trade.  Mota to Shingo would be almost as good as Mota to Gagne.  Hell - a healthy Marte to Mota to Shingo is - nasty, to say the least.)

Thoughts?  I know it's a long thread, but I'm interested in anyone's input on this.

I have been thinking the same thing about Bill Mueller, I would love to see him here.

If we did get Hairston, I would want him playing full time. A guy that can steal 30 bases and own a .360 OPS is pretty rare, so I would want him at the top of the line up every day.

It sure will be a fun winter, won't it?

Hairston had been playing CF for Baltimore before he hurt his ankle. So, they may not be willing to move him now.

just commenting on Bill Mueller, he has a very reasonable option at just over 3 million for next season. Youkilis or not, Mueller's not moving unless Theo gets something good for next season.

4.5 games out, leading the wild card, im pretty excited but here's an idea to throw out there.

White Sox get: Bill Mueller

Red Sox get: Jon Garland, prospect (Baj preferablly)

Theo Epstein is definitly interested in some young relief to add to a bullpen whose average age is over 35 (i.e Mike Gonzalez last year), but any above average prospect would do in my opinion. Garland fills in for Derek Lowe.

I know they will be looking for a lefty starter, but anytime a pitcher with Garlands talent has a chance to learn from Pedro (who will be resigned) and Curt Schilling it's a tough offer to pass on.

A couple of comments about what I have been reading:

Can we slow down the Omar Vizquel love fest a little? Yes he is having a good year, but he is 37, and his BA in the 3 years prior to this were .255, .275. and .245. I'd much rather get somone like Cabrera or Renteria(no Nomar, not for the kind of money he is demanding). Guzman, would be pretty hot too. I know money is an issue, but there are guys I'd much rather have.

I would be very cautious with J.D. Drew. The guy has yet to play more than 135 games in a season(altough he might this year), and is going to demand a huge contract. He's beat his career high in runs, homers, and RBI already, which is some pretty convenient timing. Someone is going to give him 5 years and $60 mil, and I really thing they will regret it at some time, he's probably due for a broken ankle or something next year. Even assuming he is fairly healthy, he might come up with a .242 year like 99, or .252 like 02. You just never know with him.

As for the Zito/Pavano question, there is a reason that Zito might be available. He was extremely inconsistent last year and is currently at a 4.55 ERA, which could jump a bit if he came to our park. Pavano seemed to figure things out late last year and has an ERA right around 3. Even if you add a full run to compensate for the league/park(that's probably way to high), he'd be around 4. Plus, we wouldn't have to give up any players in the deal.

Moves I'd like to see- Renteria, Cabrera, or Guzman at SS would be huge. If we let Maggs walk, I think Cattlanato is the right guy in right, or Drew if Boras decides to wait forever with his client and ends up taking whatever offer he can(Rodriguez, Maddux). We need someone in the pen, I don't care who, just someone else who can get outs with regularity. With Garland failing miserably(he was pitching well last time I said we didn't need a starter), I think we need Pavano/Clement/Perez. I'd also like Koskie at 3rd, he's a pretty solid 3rd baseman that happens to be a lefty. I'd be very happy if a couple of those things happened(although the prospect of 2 former Twins is kind of :puke ).

I think Radke should be the Sox's #1 FA target...and I just blogged it (click on my signature).

Bottom line - signing Radke away from the Twinkies makes the Sox better and the Twinkies worse at the same time. It's double the normal value of a free agent signing.

(In addition, the Twins simply don't have a decent starting prospect ready next year).

just commenting on Bill Mueller, he has a very reasonable option at just over 3 million for next season.  Youkilis or not, Mueller's not moving unless Theo gets something good for next season.

4.5 games out, leading the wild card, im pretty excited but here's an idea to throw out there.

Theo Epstein is definitly interested in some young relief to add to a bullpen whose average age is over 35 (i.e Mike Gonzalez last year), but any above average prospect would do in my opinion.  Garland fills in for Derek Lowe.

I know they will be looking for a lefty starter, but anytime a pitcher with Garlands talent has a chance to learn from Pedro (who will be resigned) and Curt Schilling it's a tough offer to pass on.

I hope Kenny Williams isn't dumb enough to do this. Garland is a decent 5th starter and Baj has been awesome as a closer for a while now, even though he has had some hammy issues I believe. Bill Mueller is going to be 34 years old next season and could possibly be a FA if they don't pick up his option. Why would the Sox trade pitching(young and productive and somewhat cheap) for a 34 year old 3b? All Williams has talked about is how he wants to build around pitching, why would he trade 2 pitchers if that is the case? No offense, but it just doesn't make sense to me and I don't see it happening. Just my opinion though :D

I hope Kenny Williams isn't dumb enough to do this.  Garland is a decent 5th starter and Baj has been awesome as a closer for a while now, even though he has had some hammy issues I believe.  Bill Mueller is going to be 34 years old next season and could possibly be a FA if they don't pick up his option.  Why would the Sox trade pitching(young and productive and somewhat cheap) for a 34 year old 3b?  All Williams has talked about is how he wants to build around pitching, why would he trade 2 pitchers if that is the case?  No offense, but it just doesn't make sense to me and I don't see it happening.  Just my opinion though  :D

Thats why the "above average" prospect was also an option.

34 years old or not, he isn't a free agent, and won't be had for zilch which is what it seems you think.

Thats why the "above average" prospect was also an option.

34 years old or not, he isn't a free agent, and won't be had for zilch which is what it seems you think.

No, not at all. I just think that giving up a guy who has shown flashes and been a pretty decent starter anda future stud reliever in AAA is a bit much to give up. I know that Mueller is a gamer, I just don't see the Sox giving up that kind of personnel for him is all.

If we lose Maggs to another team, i'm hoping the Braves draw interest in him so they can afford to lose Drew as a Free Agent, and let Drew go. I think he would be the best option out there for the Sox Offensively. 1. He's a power lefty. 2. Great right fielder. 3. Powerful arm. 4. Has very good speed. If the Sox go after someone, i hope it will be Drew if Atlanta don't re-sign him. Then i hope they can sign a leadoff/second baseman/shortstop player. Then what ever is left with money and the possibility of trading Lee/Konerko for pitching(bullpen and a #2 or #3 starter).

just commenting on Bill Mueller, he has a very reasonable option at just over 3 million for next season.  Youkilis or not, Mueller's not moving unless Theo gets something good for next season.

Theo Epstein is definitly interested in some young relief to add to a bullpen whose average age is over 35 (i.e Mike Gonzalez last year), but any above average prospect would do in my opinion.  Garland fills in for Derek Lowe.

Ok redandwhite .... it's time to stop dreaming. That deal ain't happening.