Good Free Agent Article

DBAHO

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i meant thats not exactly what he's known for.  i know it wasnt worded well, but you dont hear about what a great guy clee is in the clubhouse

ok, i see what you are saying.

the only thing i keep hearing and from the press and sportswriter is how much of a team player paulie is and jose v...................... outside those 2, i haven't heard much of anyone else.

the only time i heard anything about c lee is when he went toe to toe with big frank and not sliding either last yr or the yr before.

:huh: We have more sacrifices than the Angels.  The Expos lead the majors, the A's and Red Sox are 29 and 30, and they're headed for the playoffs, so it seems.  The Twins are 23, well below the Sox at 13.  So where's the advantage?

How many s***ty s***ty bunts have the sox had this year? Too many to even count. They are also popping it up to the catcher or bunted it foul on with 2 strikes and striking out. On the other hand those teams can get the down succesfully. We don't have any good bunters outside of timo perez and he is not all that great. A's and the red sox have good obp as a team and pretty good averages. Not as much of a need to bunt. All around they are superior fundamental teams compared to us.

How many s***ty s***ty bunts have the sox had this year? Too many to even count. They are also popping it up to the catcher or bunted it foul on with 2 strikes and striking out. On the other hand those teams can get the down succesfully. We don't have any good bunters outside of timo perez and he is not all that great. A's and the red sox have good obp as a team and pretty good averages. Not as much of a need to bunt. All around they are superior fundamental teams compared to us.

Well, if your team's not bunting well, stop trying it! What you're saying indicts the coaching staff more than the players.

I don't agree with your argument, that teams that are not as well-rounded can make up for it in bunting. The Twins and Rangers have low obp, and low sacrifices, and they've played well. Anyway, obp appears to be much more closely correlated with winning, why don't we work on that and ignore bunting?

Well, if your team's not bunting well, stop trying it!  What you're saying indicts the coaching staff more than the players.

I don't agree with your argument, that teams that are not as well-rounded can make up for it in bunting.  The Twins and Rangers have low obp, and low sacrifices, and they've played well.  Anyway, obp appears to be much more closely correlated with winning, why don't we work on that and ignore bunting?

I also said that they are better fundamental teams which they are. That means they are not selfish and actually know how to move runners over unlike the sox. The sox mostly try for the 5 run homeruns which is not a way to succeed.

When a man is on second with no outs and they hit the ball to the right side of the infield.

Edit. The twins also are fourth in baseball with 103 steals which helps.

I admit, I don't have the stats on outs to the right side of the infield when there is a runner on second with none out. I've looked and looked and... If you have these, please share them. If there is a very large discrepancy between the Red Sox and the A's, and the rest of the league, fine. I doubt it.

The Twins are only 11th in sb%, good but not great. It hurts you when it doesn't work at least as much as it helps when it does work.

I admit, I don't have the stats on outs to the right side of the infield when there is a runner on second with none out.  I've looked and looked and...  If you have these, please share them.  If there is a very large discrepancy between the Red Sox and the A's, and the rest of the league, fine.  I doubt it.

The Twins are only 11th in sb%, good but not great.  It hurts you when it doesn't work at least as much as it helps when it does work.

I was speaking of the twins and rangers since you said they do not have very good obp. I know this because i watch many of their games on mlb extra innings. The red sox and a's are good because of there obp and pretty good situational hitting.

The twins stolen base % is at 72%. Like you said its not great but the point is that they attempt so many stolen bases it puts alot of pressure on opposing pitchers every single time someone is on base, outside of lecroy. :lol:

I was speaking of the twins and rangers since you said they do not have very good obp. I know this because i watch many of their games on mlb extra innings. The red sox and a's are good because of there obp and pretty good situational hitting.

The twins stolen base % is at 72%. Like you said its not great but the point is that they attempt so many stolen bases it puts alot of pressure on opposing pitchers every single time someone is on base, outside of lecroy. :lol:

Okay. But personally I'll believe it when I see it in the numbers. Not to say that game watching is not informative, but I think a person would have to watch minimum 1/2 of the games of a team (spaced more or less evenly) with REALLY good recall to have a better sense of a team than the stats can give.

As for steals, hey, I still point to the fact that PK is perfect on the year.

I believe in the obp story, not the small ball story. I think Florida's most important hitters have been Cabrera and Lowell, not Pierre and Castillo (although you do need high-obp types in the top spots). Anaheim, what can't Vlad Guerrero do?

Okay.  But personally I'll believe it when I see it in the numbers.  Not to say that game watching is not informative, but I think a person would have to watch minimum 1/2 of the games of a team (spaced more or less evenly) with REALLY good recall to have a better sense of a team than the stats can give.

As for steals, hey, I still point to the fact that PK is perfect on the year.

I believe in the obp story, not the small ball story.  I think Florida's most important hitters have been Cabrera and Lowell, not Pierre and Castillo (although you do need high-obp types in the top spots).  Anaheim, what can't Vlad Guerrero do?

I will try to find the stats in while but how can you possibly say pierre is not their number 1 or 2 most valuable player. It all starts with him. Also i may watch have of their games since most of their games are on at the same time as the sox.

I will try to find the stats in while but how can you possibly say pierre is not their number 1 or 2 most valuable player. It all starts with him. Also i may watch have of their games since most of their games are on at the same time as the sox.

His obp is no better than either Cabrera's or Lowell's, while his slg is much lower. He has more steals, that helps a bit, but his % is a bit low (64%). His big extra value is in the low k-rate.

Now, don't get me wrong, he's almost an ideal leadoff guy, especially w/ the slight bump in slg this year. But it doesn't mean anything w/o Cabrera and Lowell. I just value that middle-of-the-lineup guy more than the leadoff man.

:huh:

Lee:  .307 BA, .527 SLG

Konerko:  .276 BA, .541 SLG

Regardless of numbers [which don't tell the whole story] IMO, PK is a smarter hitter/ baseball player than Lee. Lee is more talented, sure, and could get the Sox better players via a trade. But which guy would you want hitting in a big game, against a tough pitcher? Which guy is more likely to chase a pitch out of the zone? Which player is more likely to watch fights in the stands while the team is losing instead of concentrating on the game and taking a loss to heart?

Don't get me wrong, both are good players. Yet I don't think both will be back. And the guy who may be less talented but has better intangibles may stick around