Garland

HoosierSox

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whatever theoretical slot he fills in our rotation has absolutely no bearing on what his record will be.

Oh, I think it would - assuming pitching staff stays healthy and he consistently is slotted as a #5. It would allow for that one inning brain fart to be covered up a little more often, and he would just rock and roll with the confidence of going out there and knowing that the hitters can overcome that mistake.

It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy IMO with Mr. Garland. Confidence is powerful.

Oh, I think it would - assuming pitching staff stays healthy and he consistently is slotted as a #5.  It would allow for that one inning brain fart to be covered up a little more often, and he would just rock and roll with the confidence of going out there and knowing that the hitters can overcome that mistake.

It becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy IMO with Mr. Garland.  Confidence is powerful.

Ah yes, the magical powers of a 5th starter. We all know that no matter what, our 5th starters feel no pressure and only perform to their ability when put in this slot in the rotation. Why didnt we think of this before?????

This is based on your theory that his 12 major league games is a good measuring stick of what a starter can do throughout his career.  I guess that would make sense.....wait no it doesnt.

BTW wasting 4 million dollars on a fifth starter is ridiculous.  If you dont like Grilli, than maybe the SOX gm can put someone else in there that YOU would feel comfortable with.  This is a numbers game, and regardless of our high hopes, we dont have much money.  If we are going to lose more that half the games that Garland pitches, why not lose the same amount of games for 3 million less in payroll.

Omg i am not going on just his 12 major league starts i am going on his minor league career also. He is not very good in the minor leauges what honestly makes you think he would have an era around 5-5.25 in the majors? Once more his control is terrible, he is basically russ ortiz just not as good. Garland will make 2.5 to 3 million next year that is it. Where do you keep coming up with the 5th starter will cost 4 million bulls***?

And if he wins 16 games, than he will lose 19 or 20.  Not a very sound investment for a 5th starter if you ask me.

are you kidding me?

The point I'm trying to make is if he gets into that fifth slot, he'll have more confidence. He's not going to lose more then he wins, assuming all else stays the same (no injuries, etc). Where Garland gets in trouble is tough situations. If he can go out there as a fifth starter and gain that confidence, bye-bye Judy, and he becomes that much better and more competetive.

Ah yes, the magical powers of a 5th starter.  We all know that no matter what, our 5th starters feel no pressure and only perform to their ability when put in this slot in the rotation.  Why didnt we think of this before?????

Because there is a big difference in the talent level of a John Garland then a Felix Diaz right now - and for that matter a mental confidence, one big inning brain farts included.

This is based on your theory that his 12 major league games is a good measuring stick of what a starter can do throughout his career.  I guess that would make sense.....wait no it doesnt.

BTW wasting 4 million dollars on a fifth starter is ridiculous.  If you dont like Grilli, than maybe the SOX gm can put someone else in there that YOU would feel comfortable with.  This is a numbers game, and regardless of our high hopes, we dont have much money.  If we are going to lose more that half the games that Garland pitches, why not lose the same amount of games for 3 million less in payroll.

More on why I don't want Grilli as a number 5.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/teams/player_bio.asp...188&hubname=CHA

how about his 6.61 career major league ERA?

how about his 5.25 career AAA ERA?

how about 2004 being the first year since since 1999 that he has thrown over 100 innings in a whole season?

how about 2004 being the 8th year that he has spent time at AAA and he still had an era of 4.83 to show for it?

how about him having not one single quality start in his 6 starts with the Sox?

how about him having a grand total of one quality starts including his times in the MLs with Florida?

I would rather see Diaz for sure over Grilli. Grilli would be more the 5th starter garbage.

how about 2004 being the first year since since 1999 that he has thrown over 100 innings in a whole season?

how about 2004 being the 8th year that he has spent time at AAA and he still had an era of 4.83 to show for it?

how about him having a grand total of one quality starts including his times in the MLs with Florida?

I would rather see Diaz for sure over Grilli.  Grilli would be more the 5th starter garbage.

:notworthy

Omg i am not going on just his 12 major league starts i am going on his minor league  career also. He is not very good in the minor leauges what honestly makes you think he would have an era around 5-5.25 in the majors? Once more his control is terrible, he is basically russ ortiz just not as good. Garland will make 2.5 to 3 million next year that is it. Where do you keep coming up with the 5th starter will cost 4 million bulls***?

Minor league career=terrible argument. See: Joe Crede MVP

thanks

And we wont be in the playoffs if we pay our 5th starter 3 million like querty says is the definite salary. Cause we wont have any money for any other position

I would rather see Diaz for sure over Grilli.  Grilli would be more the 5th starter garbage.

All im saying is anyone making the same money he makes would be fine with me. if we are paying that much for a 5th starter with "potential" then we can free up money for the other gaping holes in the lineup

are you kidding me?

The point I'm trying to make is if he gets into that fifth slot, he'll have more confidence.  He's not going to lose more then he wins, assuming all else stays the same (no injuries, etc).  Where Garland gets in trouble is tough situations.  If he can go out there as a fifth starter and gain that confidence, bye-bye Judy, and he becomes that much better and more competetive.

Once again, see what this 5th starter "confidence" has done for our 5th starters in the past.

Talent means nothing if you cant produce. -Joe Borchard

Minor league career=terrible argument.  See: Joe Crede MVP

thanks

And we wont be in the playoffs if we pay our 5th starter 3 million like querty says is the definite salary.  Cause we wont have any money for any other position

Tell me how many minor leaguers have had terrible minor league careers then went on to have a succesful careers in the majors.

:lolhitting

Argument=gasping for air

Not really. You just assume that grilli can become the 5th starter after being bad in the minors. It just does not happen that a pitcher sucks in the minors and is decent in the majors. There is no reason to believe girlli will not get rocked up here and you are yet to give a reason why you think he can do a good job as the fifth starter. What i do not understand no one else agrees with you, why don't you understand it is a bad idea and move on with it?

Kevin Brown's first 4 full years.

Year Ag Tm  Lg  W   L   G   GS  GF  CG SHO SV   IP     H    R   ER   HR  BB   SO  HBP  WP  WHIP   ERA 
1989 24 TEX AL  12   9  28  28   0   7   0  0  191.0  167   81   71  10   70  104   4   7   1.24  3.35  
1990 25 TEX AL  12  10  26  26   0   6   2  0  180.0  175   84   72  13   60   88   3   9   1.31  3.60  
1991 26 TEX AL   9  12  33  33   0   0   0  0  210.7  233  116  103  17   90   96  13  12   1.53  4.40  
1992 27 TEX AL  21  11  35  35   0  11   1  0  265.7  262  117   98  11   76  173  10   8   1.27  3.32  

Judy Garland's first 4 full years.

Year Ag Tm  Lg  W   L   G   GS  GF  CG SHO SV   IP     H    R   ER   HR  BB   SO  HBP  WP  WHIP  ERA 
2001 21 CHW AL   6   7  35  16   8   0   0  1  117.0  123   59   48  16   55   61   4   3  1.52 3.69  
2002 22 CHW AL  12  12  33  33   0   1   1  0  192.7  188  109   98  23   83  112   9   5  1.41 4.58  
2003 23 CHW AL  12  13  32  32   0   0   0  0  191.7  188  103   96  28   74  108   4   8  1.37 4.51 
2004 24 CHW AL  11  11  33  32   0   0   1  0  211.0  218  123  116  34   73  110   2   3  1.38 4.95

Like I said, Garland has shown no signs of improving and it nowhere close to being an 18 game winner like Hawk predicted he would be this year. Kevin Brown won 21 games in his fourth full year with a team that went 77-85. He had 27.3% of their wins in 1992, does anyone actually think Garland will ever accomplish something like that?

wow.

You just don't get it.

Let me ask it another way.

Would you rather have a major league pitcher that has been there in the last four years which would solidify your starting pitching from top to bottom or a washed up reject or brand new kid coming up from the minors as your fifth starter every fifth day?

Any questions?

Edited by kapkomet

wow.

You just don't get it.

Let me ask it another way.

Would you rather have a major league pitcher that has been there in the last four years which would solidify your starting pitching from top to bottom or a washed up reject or brand new kid coming up from the minors as your fifth starter every fifth day?

Any questions?

Wow, you dont get it. If we could, that would be an ideal situation, if Jon would be the 5th starter. Unfortunatley we have to come to terms that if we want to fill our gaps with a top of the line starter and some good infielders, which we are going to need dearly. Then we dont have the cash to pay that much to someone who is going to be a 5th starter, especially when his record isnt that great anyway. If we want our 1-5 starters to be the best since the early 90's then we are going to have to cut some cost where we can, and that is going to be trimming the salary of our 5th starter. As much as it would look great with Jon in that spot considering his experience and his potential, his salary makes that a big stretch. And we dont have to bring a kid up from the minors, this is why they did that this season by bringing up Diaz, Grilli, and pitching Neal a ton. Because eventually they could have the experience to make a run at a lower cost 5th starter

Does that make more sense