Upgrading at Catcher

beck72

AJ Pierzynski. I know he hasn't exactly endeared himself to either his SF teammates [some pitchers complained about him earlier in the year] and fans have been rough on him. He certainly would be an upgrade. Being a LH hitter for lower in the order [6, 7 or 8], his defense is good. And the Sox would have Jamie Burke as a backup. And sounds like he'd be available. SF makes decisions quickly, and if something isn't working out, they'll go in another direction.

The Sox need to upgrade at a few positions, getting solid, dependable veterans, if they plan to stick with young guys like Uribe, Rowand, Harris, Crede. The catcher FA's aren't the best group. A trade like this is probably the best way to upgrade at this spot.

AJ was always a pain in the ass when he was w/ Minn. If he were the Sox' pain in the ass, though, I think fans would like him. For some reason, AJ reminds me of Bill Laimbeer playing for the Pistons. Everyone hated him but Detroit fans loved him. Maybe AJ has the same type personality.

Here's an excerpt from the Contra Costa Times:

AJ. struggles

Catcher A.J. Pierzynski continued to struggle offensively, going hitless in three at-bats and grounding into an inning-ending double play in the fifth. He was booed as he left the field.

"I'm used to it here," he said. "It's just like it was at the beginning. The fans have a right to boo. If I was them, I'd boo me, too."

Pierzynski, hitting .155 (11-for-71) in his last 20 games, said, "It's been pretty embarrassing. It's the worst stretch I've ever had. I can't go back and change time."

Pierzynski revealed, "It's been a rough month for me on and off the field. I had so many things happen off the field, and it's been just as bad on the field."

He declined to elaborate on his off-field issues.

i'd take him in a heart beat.

But I don't believe he's a free agent yet.

off the field stuff could be that he's from Florida and maybe his home has been damaged by the storms.

I think they would be willing to trade him because from what i heard he is really disliked there. But not exactly the player i would like to have since he is a such a prick.

i'd take him in a heart beat.

But I don't believe he's a free agent yet.

off the field stuff could be that he's from Florida and maybe his home has been damaged by the storms.

He's under contract. But could be had via trade, as he hasn't done well lately. He was up near .300 before his recent slump.

Well, his teammates did kind of dislike him. I would take him though.

His teammates in Minn or SF disliked him? If it was only the guys in SF then one year isn't a lot to go on.

He certainly fits the grinder mold. He always came across as someone who would do anything to win, whether it was trash talk or get a key hit. And he'd usually back it up on the field

ok, what are we going to give up for him?

I'm not sure what exactly SF would be looking for. Yet they should need a CFer [grissom becomes a FA, and has seen better days] and a 2B man, provided they found a taker for Durham who isn't impressing SF these days. But putting together a package starting with someone who could play both [Willie Harris], along with Borchard + pitching could be possible. SF should take less than what they gave up for him--Nathan- a good, not great set up man; Boof Bonser, an injured SP, and someone else?]

I'm not sure what exactly SF would be looking for. Yet they should need a CFer [grissom becomes a FA, and has seen better days] and a 2B man, provided they found a taker for Durham who isn't impressing SF these days. But putting together a package starting with someone who could play both [Willie Harris], along with Borchard + pitching could be possible. SF should take less than what they gave up for him--Nathan- a good, not great set up man; Boof Bonser, an injured SP, and someone else?]

Now stop it beck :P , are you advocating trading Willie Harris? :bang

Giants need a big run producer to protect Bonds.

the one issue with AJ is his GIDP. Alou has to always send his runners when he is up because of the chance of him doing this. If i am not mistaken he has hit into 25 double plays this year. If the sox are serious about changing their team. Less guys that hit into double plays is what they need, not more.

um, no thank you.

Ummmm Why not?

He's good Catcher is is a good hitter. Can't write off a guy cause of this year. And still his year wasn't that bad.

Let's see

11 homers and 77 RBI's are good. .272 average is better than what ever we've had since Fisk

Ummmm Why not?

He's good Catcher is is a good hitter. Can't write off a guy cause of this year. And still his year wasn't that bad.

Let's see

11 homers and 77 RBI's are good. .272 average is better than what ever we've had since Fisk

First, a clubhouse nightmare. No one cares for him.

Second, remember that little "I love the Twins" bit earlier in the year that came out in the media?

It would be like signing up Mike "thriller" Jackson, a buddy buddy of the Twins... only worse. I can't think he would want to come to the Sox. He's a self-admitted Twins lover.

Other then that, go for it.

Maybe all I have here is rumour and innuendo.

Without knowing what is Pierzynski's problem [whether or not he has any problems w/ his teammates, or why he's having a down year] he's the type of veteran the Sox could use.

He plays a difficult position to fill, and he'd post very good numbers

'02- .300/ .334/ .439

'03- .312/ .360/ .464

Though his #'s are down this yr, [.273/ .318/ .413] there are other factors involved. He changed leagues, and is having unspecified personal problems [as stated in the article.

The Sox can either stick with some young guys like Uribe, Harris and Crede and have some solid vets [like AJ] fill other spots.

Whatever happens, the Sox need an upgrade at C. Ben Davis I don't think is the answer. Burke is a decent enough backup. But over the course of an entire year, the sox need consistency and talent. Hell, even in AJ's worst yr he's popsting numbers sox fans would drool over at the C's spot

As much as AJ was hated bu Sox players and fans is the number one reason I have for acquiring him.  He's a thorn in the side of the opposition and gets into their heads.  Let's get his butt over here.

The Sox need guys who can "get in other teams heads". They have had "nice" guys and look where its gotten them. And AJ should be able to be had for less than he's worth. If the Sox match up w/ what SF needs, they should strike a deal

That's not to say the sox should pick up jerks. But getting some high energy types [ala Eric Byrnes], guys who go all out every play and leave some blood on the field for the team should be a start.