Carl Everett

fathom

In tomorrow's Chicago Tribune, there's gonna be an article on how Carl Everett states he'll be back next year not only cause he likes it here, but also cause he knows no one else would pay him the 4 million he's gonna make. With Frank coming back, Everett's gonna have to play in the outfield. With this in mind, Ozzie and KW's plan at getting speed and defense on the team is already defeated. Everett's D in the outfield is just pathetic, and he's not exactly a speed burner on the bases. I'm beginning to think the best move for the Sox would be to not have Frank come back next year, even though it would be a huge blow to our offense. However, the Sox could then use that 8 million to fill in holes in the rotation, bullpen, and even outfield. As it stands right now, it just doesnt seem like Sox will have a lot of flexibility to make moves. Way to go KW!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest concern with Everett is his defense. The one game he played in the field for the Sox this year, he was awful. Also, when the Sox played the Expos this year, Everett basically won us the first game by his limited range in the field. If you build your team on pitching, you need to make sure that you have a defense that will prevent singles from turning into doubles, etc.

Carl will definitely have to work out this spring on his physical performance...even if it is for a little improvement...and mental performance on the field...We can't have blunders and such coming from an outfielder. I hope whatever field everett plays...that most of the gappers hit to him...Rowand reaches them first :pray

idonno everett in shape could be very very good.... he is a good hitter... this year he was hurt by injuries and that expos game when he helped us with his poor defense im almost positive he was playing CF that game which requires a lot more range then the corner spots.... so if he gets in shapes with the kind of hitter he can be and i think at RF or LF his defense should be ok he might be well worth that 4 million.... or on the otherhand he can be a total waste

idonno everett in shape could be very very good.... he is a good hitter... this year he was hurt by injuries and that expos game when he helped us with his poor defense im almost positive he was playing CF that game which requires a lot more range then the corner spots.... so if he gets in shapes with the kind of hitter he can be and i think at RF or LF his defense should be ok he might be well worth that 4 million.... or on the otherhand he can be a total waste

Everett was playing in LF that game, and his D was absolutely terrible. Everett makes Sosa look like a good fielder.

well whatevr anyways we played him after he wasnt back 2 long from an injury so you got to give him a break this year 2 especially if he shows up fit for next year's team

He has not played center once this year so it had to of been in left. I just don't think everett is the answer but we will see.

Great, Carl's back!!!

Fathom, the problem with your original idea of not having Frank back is that the Sox are in the exact same boat with him. He has the control over whether he comes back. The Sox do not. And he knows now one else will give him the $8 million he will be getting from the Sox.

Great, Carl's back!!!

Fathom, the problem with your original idea of not having Frank back is that the Sox are in the exact same boat with him.  He has the control over whether he comes back.  The Sox do not.  And he knows now one else will give him the $8 million he will be getting from the Sox.

I know, and I don't have a problem if Frank comes back. It seems like he and Ozzie got along good. If we keep Konerko, I'm not exactly excited that we're going to have about 12 million dollars worth of DH players. In regards to the game with Everett in LF, he showed absolutely no range or ability to judge balls in LF. He turned routine singles into gappers, etc.